You know what...smartphones arent for you. You need a tin can and string....
    Elite1, Mirko935, iEagle and 1 others like this.
    10-28-16 05:29 PM
    Wasn't a requirement on BlackBerry OS10. I just typed a message. Stop trying to defend this inadequate substitute. You will I have deduced I don't like the system that Blackberry have
    Forced upon its OS10 Customer s to this who have faithfully gone from OS7 and 10 to this sellout android "experience". It doesn't work so stop trying to continue its a step forward when quite clearly it isn't for previous loyal customers
    BB10 has access as well as apps. Check your permissions. In fact, while you're there, shut off access to your contacts and see how well your phone doesn't function. Then perhaps what everyone here has been saying might make sense.
    10-28-16 05:31 PM
    Ok I Sall seek an OS that doesn't involve Google. If I can find one for my mobile phone "experience," please recommend one someone
    10-28-16 05:45 PM
    Ok I Sall seek an OS that doesn't involve Google. If I can find one for my mobile phone "experience," please recommend one someone
    10-28-16 05:51 PM
    10-28-16 05:51 PM
    If you want an OS that does not use your contacts, none exist in this world.

Since you have now appeared to change the topic of this thread to "I hate Google, and I want to stamp my feet", then I guess there is not much else to say. Perhaps this can be closed.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-28-16 05:55 PM
    To cut it short I won't buy another Blackberry handset. Too much aggro and integration problems plus keyboard predictive text is breadful
    10-28-16 06:05 PM
    To cut it short I won't buy another Blackberry handset. Too much aggro and integration problems plus keyboard predictive text is breadful
    Topic changed again to "I hate BlackBerry handsets". OK. Bye.
    10-28-16 06:10 PM
    Wasn't a requirement on BlackBerry OS10. I just typed a message. Stop trying to defend this inadequate substitute. You will I have deduced I don't like the system that Blackberry have
    Forced upon its OS10 Customer s to this who have faithfully gone from OS7 and 10 to this sellout android "experience". It doesn't work so stop trying to continue its a step forward when quite clearly it isn't for previous loyal customers
    Did you ever send an email to a contact in BB10? That worked because the OS had access to your contacts.
    10-28-16 06:42 PM
    The second you install watsapp to talk, your contacts are shared as well. So if you use that you might as well use a Google phone. It works by numbers and not pins so share away!

Posted via CB10
    10-28-16 07:02 PM
    I have many apps that I disabled the contacts permissions, knowing this will limit some capabilities.

I did this for instagram for example yet is still makes user suggestions somehow, I am pretty sure instagram talks to Facebook messenger app contacts in the background as a different email was used for both.

Bask to the topic though, I would love to get rid of the google account from all of the HUB+ apps.
    10-28-16 07:14 PM
    This thread is hilarious lol.

The problem (obviously) is that he is misunderstanding.

When the app says it needs "access to your contacts", it's not directly saying "tell us who your contacts are and their details so we can save them in our database and sell them on"

What it's saying is, "allow our app to use your Contacts app"

In other words, for example, when you send an e-mail or a text, you can simply select the contact whom you wish to send it to which is what you're saying you have done with BB10. If it didn't have access to your Contacts app, you would have to manually type the full e-mail address or phone number every time you want to send a message.

I hope that makes sense. Again, it's not the developer asking for access to all your contacts information, but rather it's asking for permission to use your Contacts app so it can make your life easier and autofill the "To" section of whatever you're sending or sharing.

I think that's the case anyway! Someone correct me if I'm wrong haha

Posted via CB10
    Mirko935 likes this.
    10-29-16 06:02 AM
    This thread is hilarious lol.

The problem (obviously) is that he is misunderstanding.

When the app says it needs "access to your contacts", it's not directly saying "tell us who your contacts are and their details so we can save them in our database and sell them on"

What it's saying is, "allow our app to use your Contacts app"

In other words, for example, when you send an e-mail or a text, you can simply select the contact whom you wish to send it to which is what you're saying you have done with BB10. If it didn't have access to your Contacts app, you would have to manually type the full e-mail address or phone number every time you want to send a message.

I hope that makes sense. Again, it's not the developer asking for access to all your contacts information, but rather it's asking for permission to use your Contacts app so it can make your life easier and autofill the "To" section of whatever you're sending or sharing.

I think that's the case anyway! Someone correct me if I'm wrong haha

Posted via CB10
    Don't go back to using logic here...that didn't work for the first 12 posts in this thread... stay focused with Thurask's idea of tin cans.
    10-29-16 06:07 AM
    Then don't allow access or get rid of the phone. "Why" they need it isn't going to change that they "need" or want it. Hence, the reason I love BlackBerry and really don't load Android apps on my Passport. Use Android...deal with their rules. Simple.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-29-16 06:40 AM
    Yeah the tin cans explanation is perfect. He doesn't get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-16 06:44 AM
    Ok be specific. WHY do other apps- which and why - need to access my Contacts?
    In this I potentially agree with you. A star gazing app, starbucks app, costco app, whatever app (I am not saying the examples I used do it, they are quick examples of apps) does not necessarily need access to My Contacts or my Calendar. I, too, think, too many apps are poorly coded and just ask for a "list of stuff" because when coding, they just checked off boxes one after the other, without looking at what Permissions they were. But then again, if I want the Star gazing app, Starbucks or costco to give me data (star horizon for my current location or the nearest coffee shop), then those apps would need location.

And again, I have not looked at Starbucks app's Permission, but it might want access to my Contacts so that I could alert JANE that I'm at a specific Starbucks. But, you are right, if I don't want to ever alert Jane to where I'm sitting with coffee, then it should allow me to turn off that Permission. I ask seriously, like you, why does a Battery Program need my Calendar, Contacts, location - I think, again, some of it was just sloppy or loose programming. If I want to recommend the Battery Program I can do it on my own and don't need it conveniently having access to my Contacts.

Now, I do share my Contacts reluctantly with Google, so that they sync between phones and are backed up. I am not sure if Google does mis-use them in the interim.
    10-29-16 08:50 AM
    I don't others to enhance my experience or whatever. I want a private inerreact between me and whoever I WANT to interact with without promoting from an unknown source. If that's Blackberry android protocol the I out of Blackberry android. Intrusive bastards
    You're looking for privacy. I get it! Get rid of all smart phones, remove all computers you own or use from the internet. If , where you live has any kind of highway pass for travel lanes, tear it up, dump your credit cards, dump and kind of store discount programs cards you may have. get two cans and a string to make calls. Privacy is a thing of the past. move ahead or get left behind
    10-29-16 09:53 AM
    Isn't that unnecessary intrusion to my contacts? Didn't happen in OS 10. Avoid Google
    Althought Android might have plenty of privacy concerns, that isn't one of them. The os has to know your contacts, BB10 had your contacts too, just didn't ask you.
    10-29-16 11:34 AM
    10-29-16 11:51 AM
    A: Why does Google want my contacts?
    B: answer 1

A: You didn't understand my question. Why does Google want my contacts?
    B: answer 2 with more details

A: Alright, but why does Google want my contacts?
    B: answer 3 with more details and with picture

A: Ok, got it. But why does Google want my contacts?
    B: answer 4 with more details, with picture, and again more details

A: So you are saying that Google wants my contacts? But why?
    B: ...
    Carjackd and 1khalid like this.
    10-29-16 12:34 PM
    Now, I do share my Contacts reluctantly with Google, so that they sync between phones and are backed up. I am not sure if Google does mis-use them in the interim.
    I'm waiting for the thread: "My phone was stolen/lost and all my contacts were on the SIM. How do I get them back?"

Google seems only interested in using your data to show ads. It's government/hackers that you have to worry about, that can yank said data from Google since the data is on Google's servers and not somehow localized to your phone.
    10-29-16 01:56 PM
    Whenever I'm looking for an app I always look at what it needs. Whenever I see things which I don't like I don't install the app.
    For example: Why should a flashlight app have access to my contactes, my wifi connection, my bluetooth connection, pictures etc. I don't install the app. Since Android 6 it is possible to block some of the "required" (read: desired) accesses.
    On the other hand if I install a browser or a mail app some of these requested accesses make sense and therefore I will accept.
    I try to use common sense when I install an app. So no Whatsapp or Facebook for me
    Dr_BlackBerry likes this.
    10-29-16 04:23 PM
    Nokia 3310 - wrapped in high grade aluminium foil
    10-29-16 05:34 PM
    If you don't like Android, then move to iOS. Fill your boots.
    Lets not get carried away.
    10-29-16 11:11 PM
    On the other hand if I install a browser or a mail app some of these requested accesses make sense and therefore I will accept.
    I try to use common sense when I install an app. So no Whatsapp or Facebook for me
    Yes all sounds sensible to me. This is what I've always done on my BB10 phones. Isn't this what the DTEK app is all about too?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-16 04:32 AM
66 123