It is so strange how this arrangement is working in regards to updates.

Updates coming from Rogers- but they are not responsible for any problems or issues this update causes.

TCL is using this forum as a support center apparently but it seems the follow up on issues is spotty. If this is in accurate I apologize. Seems to be that way though and CB is doing themselves a disservice to be associated with this if they are not going to support the product adequately and be the mouthpiece for the company. Why is there no comment on the blog regarding widespread issues (phone pay services for one)?

Blackberry has no comment or no support at all for their software. Their app Updates have no change logs. There are no roadmaps for the software.

Bottom line is this is hard to see how this is not a debacle and reflects poorly on every company involved due to the lack of any communication strategy.

I have been loyal to BB from the beginning- only owned a BB phone. But quite disappointed with the state of affairs. The Keyone is a good phone but because I have no idea of where support is to come from it is difficult to recommend.

Honestly it seems so easy fixable but the people that care are not getting the information and the people with the information don't seem to care.
    07-18-17 02:55 PM
    Ghost ships have no captains....
    07-18-17 03:13 PM
    BlackBerry is only responsible to TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) - not to the end user.

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) is responsible to the end user, but as usual, your first line of support should be with your seller. If they can't, or won't help, escalate to BlackBerry Mobile. www.blackberrymobile.com
    Rico4you and elfabio80 like this.
    07-18-17 03:35 PM
    BlackBerry is only responsible to TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) - not to the end user.

TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) is responsible to the end user, but as usual, your first line of support should be with your seller. If they can't, or won't help, escalate to BlackBerry Mobile. www.blackberrymobile.com
    If that was wholly true BlackBerry would not have any security certifications whatsoever.
    TCL or BlackBerry mobile as it is known, is responsible for the hardware and the software drivers that control the hardware.

BlackBerry Limited is directly responsible for BlackBerry Android and a Blackberry apps and all of the BlackBerry security built-in which also includes hardware elements.

BlackBerry has ultimate control of the production facilities by contract.
    Inspection teams from the international security Council (UN), Nato. Europe, UAE, NSA, GCHQ, Russian Federation, India, Anzac, and of course the Chinese Cyber Security Service all have their role to play Ender continuing product security certification process which means inspectors are in pretty much all of the time.

Needless to say back doors for any country would not be allowed by any other country.

That said BlackBerry has to have the ability to comply with individual Court orders. Which is why BlackBerry has invested in so many offices in different countries where the facilities can be made available.

To this day as far as I am aware no one has ever found a backdoor in BlackBerry Android and it's current security systems.
    06-01-18 11:57 PM
    how should the seller support or help me regarding software bugs etc.? They can't fix that. only BB Mobile can it with updates. I tried to contact them, even got a ticket for reporting bugs and they said it's a known problem. that was like a year ago and still no fix with an update.

hardware issues yeah, seller is to contact first. But they can't help in any way if there's just bugs in the software or features not working or even missing
    06-02-18 04:32 AM
    how should the seller support or help me regarding software bugs etc.? They can't fix that. only BB Mobile can it with updates. I tried to contact them, even got a ticket for reporting bugs and they said it's a known problem. that was like a year ago and still no fix with an update.

hardware issues yeah, seller is to contact first. But they can't help in any way if there's just bugs in the software or features not working or even missing
    If you have trouble with the brakes that come with your car, do you contact the brake supplier or the car company/dealer?

As an end-user, there is no contractual relationship between you and brake manufacturer / BlackBerry.
    06-02-18 07:08 AM

BlackBerry Limited is directly responsible for BlackBerry Android and a Blackberry apps and all of the BlackBerry security built-in which also includes hardware elements.
    This has nothing to do with the end-user, as far as the OS is concerned.

Although the app suite is direct from BlackBerry, and is a different story.
    06-02-18 07:11 AM
    But there is a direct connection between them, the updates they provide, and me. The comparison lacks in that depart. If the seller sends me an new phone, the software bug won't go magically away. However if the brakes are broken and I get a new car from the seller, that issue is probably fixed.
    The manufacturer won't go to your car and fix that. An software update however can be directly supplied to the end user. The seller can provide you new hardware like the brakes, but not the software like updates. And warranty won't help that

Another example:

A whole series of the brakes for that car is defective. The only thing the seller can do is give you your money back. OR to be the contact person between you and the manufacturer, so they can fix that for you (there the connection between manufacturer and end user). So if you want to keep that car and getting a fix, the manufacturer is responsible for that.
    Similar with the screen popout issue. You rely on BlackBerry Mobile (contacting them for getting a replacement/repair).

Same goes for updates. It's their responsibility to provide you with the needed fixes for the end user.
    Last edited by Moon_Man; 06-02-18 at 08:38 AM.
    HughJarsse likes this.
    06-02-18 08:16 AM
    But there is a direct connection between them, the updates they provide, and me. The comparison lacks in that depart. If the seller sends me an new phone, the software bug won't go magically away. However if the brakes are broken and I get a new car from the seller, that issue is probably fixed.
    The manufacturer won't go to your car and fix that. An software update however can be directly supplied to the end user. The seller can provide you new hardware like the brakes, but not the software like updates. And warranty won't help that
    BlackBerry provides updates to BlackBerry Mobile. BlackBerry Mobile adds stuff, hosts it on their own servers, and then gets it to the end user.

If a brake manufacturer has an updated component, they provide it to the car manufacturer - not the end user.
    06-02-18 08:42 AM
    I knew that you'd go that route from brake manufacturer to the car manufacturer. The car manufacturer is not the seller. So for example if you buy just a brake, not a car. From a seller. that brake series is defective. the seller can give you your money back. Replacement is out of option since the series is defective. so the manufacturer of that brake is responsible to fix it for the end user.

there has to be someone responsible for that, and for updates it's not the seller, but the update provider, here blackberry/bb mobile!
    Last edited by Moon_Man; 06-02-18 at 12:04 PM.
    06-02-18 08:57 AM
    BlackBerry provides updates to BlackBerry Mobile. BlackBerry Mobile adds stuff, hosts it on their own servers, and then gets it to the end user.

If a brake manufacturer has an updated component, they provide it to the car manufacturer - not the end user.

And therefore, if the updated brake component is a safety critical component then the MANUFACTURER has to do a recall to fit them!! (ask Nissan, or maybe VW/Audi, or Vauxhall/chrysler) The manufacturer has an obligation to provide these, not the seller!!
    06-02-18 02:50 PM
    And therefore, if the updated brake component is a safety critical component then the MANUFACTURER has to do a recall to fit them!! (ask Nissan, or maybe VW/Audi, or Vauxhall/chrysler) The manufacturer has an obligation to provide these, not the seller!!
    User - seller - BBMo - BBMo vendor (including BlackBerry, Qualcomm, Sony, etc).

My brake analogy was to highlight how the brake manufacturer has no relationship with the driver. Just like a phone user has no standing with Qualcomm or BlackBerry-proper.
    06-02-18 03:14 PM
    well does that even matter? The customer shouldn't care who does it, but that problems get fixed
    06-06-18 12:14 AM
    Reading the BBMo support threads w.r.t OS updates, bad/buggy wifi (legacy issue on canadian BB's, & seems the same on TCL's) and plain lack of response from licencees (Optiemus) and TCL themselves, seems maybe a 4th or 5th KEY device around 2021-22 may match the money that folks are paying for these devices. Don't get me wrong... it's a decent niche product per se, but fails in some aspects.
    06-28-18 08:23 AM