When setting up a BB/Android for first time. Does the phone itself have it's own contacts? I do not want phone to have access to my gmail contacts. Vice Versa: do not want phone contacts being added to Gmail Contacts either.

Additional: If I place info in the contacts Notes; are the Apps able to take that info too?
    Last edited by mawil1013; 02-27-17 at 01:11 PM.
    02-27-17 12:33 PM
    If you use your Gmail account to setup the device of course it will have access to those contacts associated with address. Why would you not want it to?
    02-27-17 12:46 PM
    In case he doesn't want to reveal himself to Google? Or maybe has throwaway account and don't want to store contacts there.

I do not know answer to your question but I'm looking forward to someone expand on this. Is there a way to sync Outlook.com contacts without Gmail setup?
    02-27-17 12:55 PM
    In case he doesn't want to reveal himself to Google? Or maybe has throwaway account and don't want to store contacts there.

I do not know answer to your question but I'm looking forward to someone expand on this. Is there a way to sync Outlook.com contacts without Gmail setup?
    Please read the OP carefully - he has Gmail contacts and is inquiring how to prevent the phone from accessing them.

Furthermore, please don't hijack a thread with another question, start a different thread.
    02-27-17 12:58 PM
    I have a throwaway Gmail account, and I used it for my Google credentials. But my real email account is Outlook, and it's the one I sync. I don't sync Gmail, and I don't display it in my Hub.

However, I did use Gmail a few years ago, before I switched to Outlook. So many of my contacts are duplicated, and the Priv has linked them. These need to be separated manually, one by one, and then the Gmail entries disappear. Very weird, but the phone is still usable. If you edit a contact, you need to make sure that you're editing the Outlook entry and not the Gmail entry.

When you set up the phone, you are asked whether or not you want to sync Gmail. Select No, and then you will be prompted for the account that you do want to set up. If like me, you transferred your Gmail account contents over to Outlook, some contacts can still carry their Gmail identities, and will be recognized as such by the phone.
    02-28-17 04:06 PM
    I have a throwaway Gmail account, and I used it for my Google credentials. But my real email account is Outlook, and it's the one I sync. I don't sync Gmail, and I don't display it in my Hub.

However, I did use Gmail a few years ago, before I switched to Outlook. So many of my contacts are duplicated, and the Priv has linked them. These need to be separated manually, one by one, and then the Gmail entries disappear. Very weird, but the phone is still usable. If you edit a contact, you need to make sure that you're editing the Outlook entry and not the Gmail entry.

When you set up the phone, you are asked whether or not you want to sync Gmail. Select No, and then you will be prompted for the account that you do want to set up. If like me, you transferred your Gmail account contents over to Outlook, some contacts can still carry their Gmail identities, and will be recognized as such by the phone.
    Same. I have a google ID/gmail account for purposes of owning an android phone only. During setup you can skip or say no as mentioned above. I also disabled the gmail app once I got in the phone. Then when you setup your email account in hub that you actually use (msn, etc) with your contacts, you can choose to sync contacts at that time from that account.
    03-02-17 12:32 AM
    If you use your Gmail account to setup the device of course it will have access to those contacts associated with address. Why would you not want it to?
    I assume that every App in world and everything else wants more than meta data. I worry that family address's, birthdays, etc which are in my contacts get ripped every time I load an App. I've even pre-registered for Lavabit's new secure email. I already use my gmail for my android play store account etc, so I figure if I change email to use a dummy email I won't have access to already bought Apps in Play store for another concern. What I've done so so is strip down all contact info to first names and than in last name field was cousin, sister, daughter etc., deleted all other fields except telephone numbers. I'm just tired of feeling all this is out there for the creepy corps!
    03-02-17 07:01 AM
    I assume that every App in world and everything else wants more than meta data. I worry that family address's, birthdays, etc which are in my contacts get ripped every time I load an App. I've even pre-registered for Lavabit's new secure email. I already use my gmail for my android play store account etc, so I figure if I change email to use a dummy email I won't have access to already bought Apps in Play store for another concern. What I've done so so is strip down all contact info to first names and than in last name field was cousin, sister, daughter etc., deleted all other fields except telephone numbers. I'm just tired of feeling all this is out there for the creepy corps!
    You do know that you can revoke permissions, don't you? If I see that a file management app or a calculator wants access to my contacts, I either look for a different app or revoke permission.

But yes, whoever is managing your email has access to your contacts. What do you think Google or Microsoft does with them, along with hundreds of millions of other accounts? The most I've seen is getting notices that someone from my contacts liked an app in Google Play. So I stopped reviewing Google apps.
    03-02-17 08:32 AM
    When you set up your email account, just before it syncs it tells what all it will be syncing and gain access to; calendar, contacts, etc. If you don't want that account to access certain ones of those, uncheck the box. The account will be added with adding the contacts.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-17 08:32 AM
    When you set up your email account, just before it syncs it tells what all it will be syncing and gain access to; calendar, contacts, etc. If you don't want that account to access certain ones of those, uncheck the box. The account will be added with adding the contacts.

Posted via CB10
    Nice to know it's possible! As long as the GPS doesn't write your Outlook/Yahoo contacts to Gmail setup account that's a good thing.
    03-03-17 02:56 AM
    Changing names won't help much as Google cross examines phone number and I'm sure deep down they already know who that person is and how that person is named in every phone book so far. Basically its linked just like your mobile Contacts app links contacts from different accounts. As long as Google Play Services runs in the background crapload of private data will be sent to their servers. They don't even hide it you can see the chronological list.
    03-03-17 03:00 AM
    Changing names won't help much as Google cross examines phone number and I'm sure deep down they already know who that person is and how that person is named in every phone book so far. Basically its linked just like your mobile Contacts app links contacts from different accounts. As long as Google Play Services runs in the background crapload of private data will be sent to their servers. They don't even hide it you can see the chronological list.
    It's not so much as its the Google that I fear. No, I sold my soul to the Google years ago. It's every App that I've tried. Every time I install a new App and see its from a developer in some nation with a name I can't pronounce. That I feel my granddaughter being raped or some leary eye banker wringing his greasy hands at what financial info he just added to his list of new suckers or the NSA adding me to another list of vague but possible suspects to continue watching!?!
    03-03-17 06:08 AM