08-30-17 10:18 AM
    Is a feature that most high end phones have.....

Having just lost a phone to a dunk.... I won't buy another without it.
    08-30-17 10:40 AM

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted by Crackberry yet. This would be BIG news with a water resistant phone
    08-30-17 10:57 AM
    haha, it was posted 30 mins ago.
    08-30-17 11:08 AM

It's funny, but I race small sailboats and hike/bike/commute in all weather, not to mention spending a lot of time at the pool, but have never been interested in a waterproof phone. I have my floating dry bag that my phone and wallet go into, and I just put both safely away.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a waterproof phone, and I agree that much of the market seems to want them. I just can't imagine ever letting my phone get anywhere near water and wouldn't want to deal with the compromises involved in sealing ports, card slots, speakers, etc. to facilitate waterproofing my devices.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-30-17 11:55 AM
    I'm surprised this hasn't been posted by Crackberry yet. This would be BIG news with a water resistant phone
    Does CrackBerry have anyone at Ifa2017?
    08-30-17 11:59 AM
    you'd be surprised the number of people who seem to use their phone while in the bath....
    08-30-17 12:07 PM
    you'd be surprised the number of people who seem to use their phone while in the bath....
    Rain.... most of the time I try to stay out of it, and have no need to use the phone for the short times I in it. But I've been on vacation twice where we hit some rainy days... both times I was glad my Wife's iPhone was water proof.

Me I was on a boat and jumped in to knee deep water.... when a rouge wave made it waist deep water with my phone in my pocket. Now have a water proof phone that is also in a water proof case. Living in Florida and going out on the boat several time a month in the summer... not sure why I didn't have a water proof phone to begin with.
    08-30-17 03:27 PM
    I think over time water and dust resistance will become the norm. If it's easy enough to design and build into the manufacture process, it will be the standard.
    08-30-17 03:41 PM
    Does CrackBerry have anyone at Ifa2017?
    I believe Crackberry Kevin is on his way there now
    08-30-17 06:52 PM
    Rain.... most of the time I try to stay out of it, and have no need to use the phone for the short times I in it. But I've been on vacation twice where we hit some rainy days... both times I was glad my Wife's iPhone was water proof.

Me I was on a boat and jumped in to knee deep water.... when a rouge wave made it waist deep water with my phone in my pocket. Now have a water proof phone that is also in a water proof case. Living in Florida and going out on the boat several time a month in the summer... not sure why I didn't have a water proof phone to begin with.
    If you want to use your phone or have it handy around the water waterproof is definitely best.

One of my favorite parts of sailing is turning off my phone and putting it in a sealed bag where no one can bother me for a few hours.

scufutz and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    08-31-17 07:29 AM
    It's funny, but I race small sailboats and hike/bike/commute in all weather, not to mention spending a lot of time at the pool, but have never been interested in a waterproof phone. I have my floating dry bag that my phone and wallet go into, and I just put both safely away.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong with a waterproof phone, and I agree that much of the market seems to want them. I just can't imagine ever letting my phone get anywhere near water and wouldn't want to deal with the compromises involved in sealing ports, card slots, speakers, etc. to facilitate waterproofing my devices.

Agree 1000%. Electronics and water do not mix period. Even if I had a water proof phone it wouldn't be going anywhere near water. To me it gives people a false sense of security and one more gimmick to sell phone's.
    09-03-17 11:55 AM
    I used water proof phones for 8 years in all possible conditions (rain, boat, beach, etc.) without any issue. But my experience with other devices was less successful. For example, one Pentax camera certified up to 12 m has leaked at about 4 m - ironically, just 1 month past the warranty expiration.
    I suggest to weigh all risks before to use IP classed devices in "extreme" conditions. For example, I don't hesitate to use my Xcover 3 near the water because it is secondary (BB device is primary) and not expensive. But I'd not do the same with Galaxy 8 or similar one.
    09-03-17 02:27 PM

I agree. So much depends on the tradeoffs.
    09-21-17 11:09 AM
    I agree. So much depends on the tradeoffs.
    Well Apple and Samsung seems to have done it pretty well without drastically changing their devices. So it’s possible
    09-21-17 11:50 AM
    Apple doesn't have an SD card. how would you waterproof the phone and still be able to take out the SD card?

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    09-23-17 03:52 PM
    Apple doesn't have an SD card. how would you waterproof the phone and still be able to take out the SD card?

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    The Galaxy S8(+) and Note 8 are IP68 water resistant and still have SD cards. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    09-23-17 04:41 PM
    The Galaxy S8(+) and Note 8 are IP68 water resistant and still have SD cards. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Curious to know how they do it. Do you have to break a seal to get the card out?
    09-23-17 07:33 PM
    Curious to know how they do it. Do you have to break a seal to get the card out?
    The SD card is on the same tray as the SIM card. There's a little rubber ring to seal the gap between the tray and the phone body, but there's no extra effort needed compared to any other SIM tray. Stick a paperclip in the eject hole and the tray pops out.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    09-23-17 07:35 PM
    SD card is not a problem. Many if not most IP rated phones have SD card slots. My Motorola Defy had it in 2010.
    09-25-17 03:54 PM