What do you like about Android OS compared to BB10 (or older BBOS)?
    Has it changed the way you use your phone?
    Overall comments and feedback?
    How's your battery life?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 07:48 PM
    If you aren't an app junky and you like BB10 (especially the Hub), stick with BB10.
    Android has definitely got better and will continue to do so, but for my business, BB10 is better.
    12-12-16 09:50 PM
    Getting a BlackDroid has definitely eased the pain of transition from my z30.
    Sedately a noticeable performance difference when running android apps.

The hub is setup different. It's missing a few features but it has new features... still no dark hub.

The thing I hate most is fragmented notification settings (natively)
    And bedside mode shade. Soon much simpler on bb10.

Overall I do like my DTEK50 a lot. (Hardware fail is no multicoloured led but that's an Alcatel issue and nothing I can change).
    ErnieH likes this.
    12-13-16 09:18 AM
    Oh and with some setup and settling. My battery lasts from wake (7am) to sleep (10pm) usually.
    12-13-16 09:21 AM
    I don't trust my Android tablet as far as I can throw it. I don't do online banking on it for example. It's a mediocre OS, prone to all sorts of freezes and screw-ups if you happen to install the wrong version of software or an automatic update does that for you. And of course, you can't roll back to a previous version unless you've saved a previous version of the APK. Hence, I've turned off automatic updates on my Android tablet.

Oh and my tablet has hit Google's arbitrary 'end of support' cut-off, so it doesn't get any more security updates even although it got upgraded to 6.0.1 a few months ago. ROFL

Any reason to switch to an Android phone? None at all.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-13-16 09:28 AM
    I love the hardware on an Android device. It's much faster I don't have to wait for apps to load anymore.

The OS really lack far behind that of BlackBerry 10. I just experienced one horrific lacking in this.

This is how:

I just received a video from a friend via WhatsApp a few minutes ago. I can't share it directly to BBM. I need to download it to my phone, then upload it to a cloud storage and the share it via BBM. There are plenty more of these problems I face.
    12-13-16 10:06 AM
    I love the hardware on an Android device. It's much faster I don't have to wait for apps to load anymore.

The OS really lack far behind that of BlackBerry 10. I just experienced one horrific lacking in this.

This is how:

I just received a video from a friend via WhatsApp a few minutes ago. I can't share it directly to BBM. I need to download it to my phone, then upload it to a cloud storage and the share it via BBM. There are plenty more of these problems I face.
    It works for me. Just highlight the video in whatsapp. Select share then tap BBM and select the person you want to send it to. Done. For those of you who switched from BB10 to Android...-screenshot_20161213-130907.pngFor those of you who switched from BB10 to Android...-screenshot_20161213-130926.png
    12-13-16 11:14 AM
    Android provides all the stuff I did on my BB10 phone and then some, but without workarounds and tricks.

BlackBerry suite on Android includes everything I got out of respective BB10 counterparts, no loss there.

No looking back.
    12-13-16 11:22 AM
    I am more productive now since moving to the Priv. Everything works. I sync nothing to the cloud and can now sync to the Mac much more reliably, and I can sync using Bluetooth. I loved BB10, but it got buggy, for me, and the sync was unreliable to the Mac.

I have been using Blackberries since the original Bold. Before moving to the Priv, I seriously considered going back to my old Torch, since sync and everything else worked fine. Blackberry dropped the ball on BB10 and never fully developed it. Too bad too, since it had what I consider to be the best OS for a phone. What they have done with Android though works very, very well. This is being written by someone who really dislikes Google and loved BB10.
    12-13-16 12:58 PM
    Let's put it this way:

When I pick up and use my Z30 now, it feels like an old museum piece.
    YeemanBB and Kesharik4 like this.
    12-13-16 01:06 PM
    I still keep my Passport around, mostly for reading news articles. It no longer has a SIM card, so I can't use it as a phone.

You can't beat the screen for reading articles, and the BB10 file manager still leaves all the Android file managers in the dust (yes, even paid ones).

But the sync to OneDrive was spotty on BB10, and Maps was very outdated and not at all optimized. The Starbucks app was moody and prone to temper tantrums, I couldn't photo-deposit cheques through my bank's app, and I wasn't getting Facebook notifications, so I had to keep the mobile site open. In other words, the Passport was showing signs of BlackBerry's and app developers' neglect.

The few advantages of BB10 - elegant and fast OS, always on Hub, file management - are drowned out by lack of app functionality that even a very competent browser (yes, still) cannot compensate for.

I still love my Passport, but I love the Priv more.
    12-13-16 06:05 PM
    I'm really happy with my Priv. Since I bought it I don't use my Passport anymore, I just don't need it. I miss the easy access to the Hub and the fantastic native file manager, oh and of course my Passport battery, but that would be it. The Priv is 100 times more complete. I definitely do not miss the 999999 steps I had to follow to make certain apps to work
    12-13-16 09:53 PM
    Let's put it this way:

Agree. Same with my Passport
    12-13-16 09:54 PM
    I've not yet put the SIM in to my Priv, but very very pleased! Still getting used to the virtual keyboard, but I'll eventually fly by like I used to on the old Z10! For my first exposure to Android, it's honestly easier to use than I expected, and I really enjoyed tweaking the phone to the way I want it!

One thing I don't really like is how some apps (namely Skype) won't work properly even when I denied permissions I don't want to grant. Couldn't do video chat on Skype with my girlfriend until I granted the app permission to the Phone app! But that's just a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, and hopefully a situation like that won't happen again.
    12-14-16 12:23 AM
    Let's put it this way:

Nicely exaggerated.

I know people using Bolds who are perfectly happy with the remaining functionality ... texts and calls, never underestimate those things. You don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to Google every upgrade cycle for them either.
    12-14-16 05:38 AM
    Nicely exaggerated.

I know people using Bolds who are perfectly happy with the remaining functionality ... texts and calls, never underestimate those things. You don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to Google every upgrade cycle for them either.
    If that's all the phone is used for, then they didn't need BB10 either. Reality is, there isn't much to give up switching from BB10 to Android, and (especially with Nougat) much to gain. Quite frankly, BlackBerry software runs better as GooBerry, than it does on BB10.
    12-14-16 06:01 AM
    What's bb10?
    12-14-16 06:12 AM
    I don't trust my Android tablet as far as I can throw it. I don't do online banking on it for example. It's a mediocre OS, prone to all sorts of freezes and screw-ups if you happen to install the wrong version of software or an automatic update does that for you. And of course, you can't roll back to a previous version unless you've saved a previous version of the APK. Hence, I've turned off automatic updates on my Android tablet.

Oh and my tablet has hit Google's arbitrary 'end of support' cut-off, so it doesn't get any more security updates even although it got upgraded to 6.0.1 a few months ago. ROFL

Any reason to switch to an Android phone? None at all.
    This has nothing to do with what was asked.
    Thud Hardsmack, TgeekB and Uzi like this.
    12-14-16 06:48 AM
    It works for me. Just highlight the video in whatsapp. Select share then tap BBM and select the person you want to send it to. Done. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161213-130907.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	579.0 KB 
ID:	414165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20161213-130926.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	414166
    Yes, it works for you because you have already downloaded the video. I don't want to download the video coz possibly 20 other person is going to send me the same video over the next 2 or 3 days then it will automatically be downloaded and I have yo delete it from my phone physically one by one. That is too tedious. So I only look at these media when I'm on my computer or if not just skip it all together.
    12-14-16 11:14 AM
    I switched from a Passport to a Priv. It took a while to get used to the Android, but now it is fine. I can do everything I want with the Priv.

I miss the BlackBerry file manager most I guess. I got WorldMate to replace BlackBerry Travel (which I loved).
    The battery life is OK, I wish it were longer but honestly I'm always going to say that. I really like the wireless charging.
    12-14-16 12:26 PM
    Android provides all the stuff I did on my BB10 phone and then some, but without workarounds and tricks.

BlackBerry suite on Android includes everything I got out of respective BB10 counterparts, no loss there.

No looking back.
    My sentiments, exactly.
    12-14-16 01:37 PM
    Thanks for all the feed back.

I'm looking forward to the Mercury

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 05:04 PM
    What do you like about Android OS compared to BB10 (or older BBOS)?
    Has it changed the way you use your phone?
    Overall comments and feedback?
    How's your battery life?

Posted via CB10
    No workaround to be able use any app and the ability to tailor the OS to fit the way I want to use it. Though I get better battery life than my Z10 but that's not hard to do, I'd be a lot happier if I didn't have to tote a cable around in case I need it.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 12-14-16 at 11:01 PM. Reason: grammer police
    BigBadWulf and TgeekB like this.
    12-14-16 06:34 PM
    Yes, it works for you because you have already downloaded the video. I don't want to download the video coz possibly 20 other person is going to send me the same video over the next 2 or 3 days then it will automatically be downloaded and I have yo delete it from my phone physically one by one. That is too tedious. So I only look at these media when I'm on my computer or if not just skip it all together.
    How can you share a video that you don't have stored? Makes absolutely no sense. You think an URL link will be created to the person you want to share with? Not even in BB10 that's possible

For those of you who switched from BB10 to Android...-img_20161215_000234.png

Posted via Passport SE
    Uzi and BigBadWulf like this.
    12-14-16 11:03 PM
    How can you share a video that you don't have stored? Makes absolutely no sense. You think an URL link will be created to the person you want to share with? Not even in BB10 that's possible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161215_000234.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	414264

Posted via Passport SE
    No when you have documents and videos shared to you via WhatsApp, you just highlight all of them and share. Don't have to download first. The download will be done automatically and then shared.

Then you go back and delete the downloaded file. Still hating deleting files sent to me and I share out. It makes no sense to do double work. Still hating that feature...
    12-17-16 10:28 AM
44 12