I'm considering a Samsung S8+ as my next device, but would only switch phones while installing the BlackBerry suite, which means Hub, Launcher, Calendar Contacts etc...
    Does anyone here have any experience with what to Samsung OS features and functionality this would mean losing (since the BlackBerry Hub would take over as the interface ?).
    For example, Samsung Edge shortcuts? AI assistant? Etc... etc...
    Maybe someone with an S7 with a Nougat update can chime in?
    03-16-17 07:21 PM
    You'll get ads in the hub after the trial period runs out and you'll lose the BlackBerry vkb. You might not get monthly security patches monthly either. If you wanted the BlackBerry vkb search on here for cobalt's BlackBerry Manager - I think that's what it's called. It let's you load all the BlackBerry apps including vkb onto any android device.
    03-16-17 07:34 PM
    You'll get ads in the hub after the trial period runs out and you'll lose the BlackBerry vkb. You might not get monthly security patches monthly either. If you wanted the BlackBerry vkb search on here for cobalt's BlackBerry Manager - I think that's what it's called. It let's you load all the BlackBerry apps including vkb onto any android device.
    Thanks. I know about the vkb and have sideloaded it on a tablet, so that's not a problem to do again. If I do go with the BlackBerry suite, I plan on paying the subscription of a buck a month to support BlackBerry.
    I was more interested in what I would lose on the Samsung 's functionality.. i.e. what would stop working when the Samsung Launcher is inactive and the BlackBerry Launcher takes over.
    03-16-17 08:47 PM
    Nothing.

At least nothing important.

In fact I recommend you root and uninstall 90% of the Samsung bloatware and replace it with the blackberry and Google alternatives.
    zensen likes this.
    03-16-17 09:10 PM
    Nothing.

In fact I recommend you root and uninstall 90% of the Samsung bloatware and replace it with the blackberry and Google alternatives.
    I'd probably avoid rooting for the first year (voids warranty doesn't it?).
    I assumed some system functions like swiping from the edge to get the Samsung Launcher shortcuts would stop working... Also not sure if there is some proprietary thing they do for their version of split - screen multi-tasking that is supported by Nougat.
    03-16-17 11:43 PM
    My respect ;-P
    03-17-17 12:20 PM
    You'll lose your identity also and become one of hundreds of millions of Samsung Galaxy users. Also if you were used to a keyboard you'll never be happy with it. Good luck. See you in a couple of months ^^
    gizmo21 likes this.
    03-19-17 06:36 AM
    Nothing.

He should remove 90 percent of the Google Stuff too!
    03-19-17 06:37 AM
    He should remove 90 percent of the Google Stuff too!
    Even without root, I've disabled all the Google Apps on my PRIV, except for the Play ones and the Google app (which I need for my watch). I'm more or less all in with MSFT, although I don't always use Arrow Launcher.
    03-19-17 07:57 AM
    If you install cobalt BlackBerry manager you basically lose nothing. Get all the same apps and it thinks you are on a priv so no ads
    03-19-17 10:09 AM
    I'd probably avoid rooting for the first year (voids warranty doesn't it?).
    I assumed some system functions like swiping from the edge to get the Samsung Launcher shortcuts would stop working... Also not sure if there is some proprietary thing they do for their version of split - screen multi-tasking that is supported by Nougat.
    You shouldn't have to root. Rooting has almost been made irrelevant with all the customization of Android. I use a Nexus 6 running Nouget 7.0. I installed Cobalt to run the BlackBerry VKB. I also pay the dollar a month to use the Hub+. I really like the BlackBerry keyboard. I also like using the Hub and accompanying apps. My only experience with a BlackBerry phone is the first Storm on Verizon. Yeah, it had issues but, overall a good experience. Like them or not, Samsung makes some really good phones. The cameras are extremely well made and the software that runs the cameras is really second to none.I had an S7 Edge. Downloaded the Google Now Launcher. It worked great. Shut down all of the Samsung apps. You think Google preloads apps onto phones. They're amateurs compared to the sheer amount of apps that Samsung preloads. I am deep into the Google ecosystem. I like their products and they just work for me.
    I think that Android and BlackBerry is a great solution to replacing OS10. BlackBerry apps on a Samsung would probably work very well.
    Big Kiwini likes this.
    03-19-17 09:43 PM
    It will be a fine phone and you'll absolutely enjoy it. However, you would be losing the monthly security updates and some of those features that BlackBerry is known for.
    03-19-17 10:03 PM
    I understand. Samsung phones are good... but I left BlackBerry I might rather consider the cheaper alternatives like 1+? These "flagship" killers are getting really good for half the price or even less.
    03-20-17 10:27 AM
    You'll lose your identity also and become one of hundreds of millions of Samsung Galaxy users. Also if you were used to a keyboard you'll never be happy with it. Good luck. See you in a couple of months ^^
    I won't lose my identity lol.
    I've had a 8700, 8300 Curve, 9000 Bold, Storm, Torch, 9900 Bold, Z10, Z30, Black Passport, White Passport, Passport SE, and Priv.
    I've used all touch BB's like the Storm, Z10 and Z30, and I'm familiar with the BlackBerry VKB.
    I've just found that I use the PKB on my Priv a lot less that I thought I would.
    So a Samsung with the BlackBerry VKB, upgraded hardware, while still having the Hub is not such a bad thing.
    Powdah and newcollector like this.
    03-20-17 08:33 PM
    Well, if you go with a Samsung these days, or even a LG, Xiaomi, ZTE, Oppo, Vivo, Asus or Lenovo it seems you should be concerned about what you might GAIN and not lose. Phones from all these companies have been verified to contain malware that was injected at some unknown points in their supply chains. It's really pathetic actually. The masses are walking around with Samsungs that they were told to buy, and they don't even realize that their phone is a trojan horse for malware injected way before they even bought it from the store.

BlackBerry has had the secure supply thing down for a long time now, but it's never been sexy for the mainstream until now. And yea, you know the long boot up times that Blackberries are known for? That's because they are checking to make sure that the software that loads up his actually the same one BlackBerry created and signed without any nasty malware parasites hooked into your OS.

Some people will never learn.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...zh7Nez0IfGJwqA

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...MkMQd-aIrBk5pw

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...QBzsUDTkGo6qtw
    03-21-17 02:21 PM
    Am I the only one that despises the bb vkb? The auto correct has always been awful for me. Gboard works much better from my experience!
    03-21-17 05:06 PM
    You will lose the monthly security updates along with Dtek security software, and other blackberry exclusives. What you will GAIN though, is a screen more prone to cracking due to it being curved, TouchWiz bloat, and super slow software updates.

What i absolutely hate about samsung bloat is that you can't disable the stock samsung apps like internet, email, etc even when I use chrome and Hub.
    03-24-17 05:05 PM
    I am doing it right now...have both phones in hand...I spend all of my initial life of smart phones with a blackberry in hand...until the s3, note4, s7 and then I got the KEYone. BEAUTIFUL phone...but it is way way to slow! And the screen has a lack in its sensitivity...I hope the next model is better. They should have match the processor and mem or exceeded. I do not play games etc...just work work work...but the S8 with the nova launcher, cleanup, the right sd card, and install the Blackberry Hub+ services and I use HUB of course, messages, contacts...but never liked memos...prefer the google keep encrypted and always using all security features along with my yubikey...sad to return the BB on Monday though...
    08-12-17 04:07 PM
    I'm considering a Samsung S8+ as my next device, but would only switch phones while installing the BlackBerry suite, which means Hub, Launcher, Calendar Contacts etc...
    Does anyone here have any experience with what to Samsung OS features and functionality this would mean losing (since the BlackBerry Hub would take over as the interface ?).
    For example, Samsung Edge shortcuts? AI assistant? Etc... etc...
    Maybe someone with an S7 with a Nougat update can chime in?
    Nothing.

You'll gain one of the best devices on the market, then install Cobalt's package and you will have the BB stuff you want.

You will lose the monthly security updates along with Dtek security software, and other blackberry exclusives. What you will GAIN though, is a screen more prone to cracking due to it being curved, TouchWiz bloat, and super slow software updates.

What i absolutely hate about samsung bloat is that you can't disable the stock samsung apps like internet, email, etc even when I use chrome and Hub.
    Pure and utter BS.

My 3yearold Galaxy Note 4 even gets Monthly Security Updates.

What the hell are you on about?
    08-14-17 12:37 AM
    I am doing it right now...have both phones in hand...I spend all of my initial life of smart phones with a blackberry in hand...until the s3, note4, s7 and then I got the KEYone. BEAUTIFUL phone...but it is way way to slow! And the screen has a lack in its sensitivity...I hope the next model is better. They should have match the processor and mem or exceeded. I do not play games etc...just work work work...but the S8 with the nova launcher, cleanup, the right sd card, and install the Blackberry Hub+ services and I use HUB of course, messages, contacts...but never liked memos...prefer the google keep encrypted and always using all security features along with my yubikey...sad to return the BB on Monday though...
    That is unfortunate, maybe wait for the Black KEYone with 64GB mem and 4GB RAM? It may perform a little better than the standard KEYone.

Otherwise, enjoy your S8+ ☺
    08-14-17 12:40 AM

Pure and utter BS.

My 3yearold Galaxy Note 4 even gets Monthly Security Updates.

What the hell are you on about?
    My 3yr old Galaxy S5 is on the March 5th, 2017 patch and it's currently August 14th, 2017 as of today. What the hell are you on about? Lol
    08-14-17 03:31 AM
    My 3yr old Galaxy S5 is on the March 5th, 2017 patch and it's currently August 14th, 2017 as of today. What the hell are you on about? Lol
    Lol, a Galaxy S5? Seriously? Most 2014 phones stopped getting any sort of update last year.

Isn't the S5 on Android 6.0 much like the newer BB Priv and DTEK60?
    08-14-17 03:36 AM
    Same way thinking , jumping s8 plus or note 8 after August release , k1 is probably good but not for me.
    It is nothing in it just good battery, the reception is awful , tried to compare several times with s7 edge and passport. K1 is constantly loosing connection.
    08-14-17 07:27 AM
    Same way thinking , jumping s8 plus or note 8 after August release , k1 is probably good but not for me.
    It is nothing in it just good battery, the reception is awful , tried to compare several times with s7 edge and passport. K1 is constantly loosing connection.
    After the screen lift issue, it seems the reception issue is the next major issue to hit the KEYone. Not a very easy thing to fix though, they must just give free bumpers.
    08-14-17 11:12 AM
    Question : I have a Oneplus_3t and I installed the HUB (paid) and the BlackBerry manager from cobalt to get the VKB. I then tried the BlackBerry launcher but it didn't really do much for me. I only installed the launcher so that I might get to have a tiled recent apps screen like on BB10. I know the KEYone has it. I could not find how to enable that. The rolodex just drives me insane and find it counter productive.

***Hammered out on my Precious (BlackBerry Passport) ***
    08-15-17 07:06 AM
35 12