I'm spoiled by BB10's Blackberry Browser having reader mode with Text-to-Speech (TTS) built in. I use this extensively to "read" multiple publications while driving daily.

I'd love to transition to my KEYone for this task, but I haven't yet managed to connect Google Text to Speech, which I've enabled in Accessibility Settings to my Firefox Browser. I assume I'll either need to switch browsers or install either a Firefox add-in or a different TTS app.

My preference is to use the native Google TTS with my chosen browser (Firefox). If I can't do that, I'd be ok using the native Google TTS with Chrome OR installing a third party TTS app that works with Firefox.

Advice?
    02-15-18 11:12 AM
    I'm spoiled by BB10's Blackberry Browser having reader mode with Text-to-Speech (TTS) built in. I use this extensively to "read" multiple publications while driving daily.

I'd love to transition to my KEYone for this task, but I haven't yet managed to connect Google Text to Speech, which I've enabled in Accessibility Settings to my Firefox Browser. I assume I'll either need to switch browsers or install either a Firefox add-in or a different TTS app.

My preference is to use the native Google TTS with my chosen browser (Firefox). If I can't do that, I'd be ok using the native Google TTS with Chrome OR installing a third party TTS app that works with Firefox.

Advice?
    There are a number of plugins for either Firefox or Chrome.

Edit: this is for desktop
    Last edited by conite; 02-15-18 at 12:00 PM.
    02-15-18 11:18 AM
    There are a number of plugins for either Firefox or Chrome.
    That's what I've seen. Do any of them use the native Google TTS or do they rely on another engine? It seems silly not to use the one that comes with my phone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-15-18 11:21 AM
    That's what I've seen. Do any of them use the native Google TTS or do they rely on another engine? It seems silly not to use the one that comes with my phone.

They use Native.

SpeakIt is probably the most popular.
    02-15-18 11:23 AM
    They use Native.

SpeakIt is probably the most popular.
    Thanks again!

02-15-18 11:24 AM
    SpeakIt doesn't seem to be available for Firefox on Android (not in the Firefox add-in library). The most popular one I can find for Firefox Android is ""Native text to speech" by "ulf3000," which has been downloaded by 2K users.

I think you know me well enough to know that there is zero chance I will install a plug in like this, which will have access to the web pages I read, without a great deal more scrutiny than I can perform on the Mozilla Add-ons web site! LOL.

Any other suggestions? There simply has to be a mainstream approach to TTS for browsers on Android that's being used by 1M+ users. This is a key accessibility requirement for many organizations.
    02-15-18 11:40 AM
    NM, I found what I was looking for. It's entirely native, no apps or plug-ins required:

https://support.google.com/accessibi.../7349565?hl=en
    02-15-18 11:41 AM
    I will add that it's easier to use than BB10's TTS, which requires you to enter reader mode.
    02-15-18 11:42 AM
    I will add that it's easier to use than BB10's TTS, which requires you to enter reader mode.
    I apologize, my brain was in desktop mode. Lol.
    02-15-18 12:00 PM
    No sweat! The whole issue of Browser add-ons in Android is wierd anyway.
    02-15-18 12:54 PM