I think BlackBerry easily could modify the android to enable user to control this '****' thing of google.

This thing is only required for some apps, so why not just load and use google services only when we are using these apps, instead of having this crap always active.

I think BlackBerry, should take advantage of android opensource code to make something different and better than just a clone of the official android with a different theme.

Otherwise my next phone instead of a BlackBerry will be a Jolla with sailfish/android...

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 02:07 AM
    That would be much trouble and an increased likelihood of issues for too little benefit. Open-source Android is also inferior to Google's Android, a lot of functionality has slipped under the closed-source umbrella.
    And then you introduce more complexity to maintain for less features, etc.

Switch to Sailfish and while it's got a nice UX and design, you'll be back to monkeying with APK versions and sideloading just like on BlackBerry 10. And you might be missing features you take for granted otherwise.
    mbirth likes this.
    06-03-17 05:40 AM
    Have you tried disabling "Android Device Manager" in Settings → Security → Device administrators and then going to Settings → Apps → Google Play services? You should be able to deactivate the Play services from there.

Please report back how this worked out for you.
    06-03-17 07:35 AM
    Google Play Services contains important security features that prevent many infected apps from being installed.

The last thing BlackBerry should do is fork Android again. The whole point of the BlackBerry Android exercise was to get access to the Google Play Store (along with the rest of the Google apps).
    mbirth and xandros9 like this.
    06-03-17 07:38 AM
    Google Play Services contains important security features that prevent many infected apps from being installed.
    Nah, let him enjoy the experience of finding that out for himself…
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-03-17 07:41 AM
    Nah, let him enjoy the experience of finding that out for himself…
    My thoughts exactly!
    Sometimes people need to learn the lesson on their own for themselves.
    06-04-17 04:11 AM
    I am not saying that BlackBerry should not use google services, this thing is must to have, because some apps require it.

HOWEVER, what I want to state is about the controlling this services, just have in memory during the required time,
    For example, you are no executing any app with requirements for services, so as soon as you open play store the services are launched, and as soon as play is closed, services are stopped.

In computers an admin has control of services, how they start, also u can stop or even disable. As android is based in linux it should be quite easy.

Google service is not a core service for the OS, so I should be managed by the user.
    Although google will try to make it part of the core....

The last thing BlackBerry should do is fork Android again. The whole point of the BlackBerry Android exercise was to get access to the Google Play Store (along with the rest of the Google apps).

Posted via CB10
    06-09-17 04:31 AM
    HOWEVER, what I want to state is about the controlling this services, just have in memory during the required time,
    For example, you are no executing any app with requirements for services, so as soon as you open play store the services are launched, and as soon as play is closed, services are stopped.
    The Play services do some things "in the background", e.g. keeping track of your location so that apps don't have to query GPS or WiFi so often. Or caching your Google session data so that apps don't have to log you in each and every time you access them.

It's also responsible for keeping your Contacts in sync between apps. (All this can be found on the download page.)

So it does a lot important stuff in the background. Would you stop this service and only start it on demand, things would probably slow down so that people would complain about apps needing 5 seconds to start, requiring 20 seconds to show your location and other things.
    06-09-17 05:46 AM
    That is not permitted. If you have Google Play Services, you abide by Google's terms of use.
    06-09-17 05:46 AM