Gettin prepared to switch from my Classic to the KEYone, I just did a refresher on the BlackBerry Launcher help manual. The keyboard shortcuts with a short and long press...I didn't notice it before but it said that the short press is just tap the key and the long press is hold the key. So am I wrong in thinkin that this will eliminate the "start typing" and search function is no more? :-/

**Classic, Q10, Bold 9900, Bold 9000...do u notice the pattern? :-) ...the KEYone is NEXT!**
    04-21-17 02:34 PM
    If everything is still the same as on PRIV (as I assume) you can always(!) have long-press PKB shortcuts and can choose if you want "just typing ahead"-universal-device-search OR short-press PKB shortcuts on top:

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2016/...ard-shortcuts/

"With that being said, if after trying out this feature you prefer the type and search feature instead, you can still take advantage of long-press shortcuts."

So I have it customised exactly that way and since the last device search update it now works better (even if it is a bit slow at start by typing from homescreen) and some features I miss from webOS and some from BB10 (BB10 veterans input to this thread :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...1#post12211634 )
    04-21-17 11:55 PM
    This is exactly wut I needed to know. Thank you very much. So it looks like I will be using only the long press and keeping the typing to search option. The funny thing is only use like 3 keyboard shortcuts. But that may change with the open world of Android / Google Play Store

Thanks again friend :-)

**Classic, Q10, Bold 9900, Bold 9000...do u notice the pattern? :-) ...the KEYone is NEXT!**
    04-22-17 07:20 AM
    This is exactly wut I needed to know. Thank you very much. So it looks like I will be using only the long press and keeping the typing to search option. The funny thing is only use like 3 keyboard shortcuts. But that may change with the open world of Android / Google Play Store

Thanks again friend :-)

If you're looking for a completely smooth 'just type' experience like webOS or Spotlight on iOS then I don't think this is *quite* there yet... For me on the KEYone there's about a 2s delay after I've finished typing and before the search app shows up. It still keeps all the characters, but there isn't live feedback as you type each character

Priv owners: how quickly does the search app launch for you when you have "start a search" selected?

See:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12861140

For now I've mapped Conjure to the convenience key and that's a great alternative until the Device Search 'clear last search' bug is fixed.
    05-03-17 12:56 PM
    Here is my answer for the PRIV: /blackberry-android-os-f456/making-device-search-play-nice-clear-search-history-start-faster-launcher-1107171/#post12866658

Device search clears if you using just type from launcher screen instead of starting it by shortcut.
    05-07-17 12:55 PM
    Gettin prepared to switch from my Classic to the KEYone, I just did a refresher on the BlackBerry Launcher help manual. The keyboard shortcuts with a short and long press...I didn't notice it before but it said that the short press is just tap the key and the long press is hold the key. So am I wrong in thinkin that this will eliminate the "start typing" and search function is no more? :-/

You can change the settings so that when you start typing it starts a device search. Or set up the convenience key so that when you press it and it starts a search. It's serving me well.
    05-09-17 03:08 PM
    The universal search is missing... oh my.. In the BB10 I could access mobile data by just typing mobile data.. That was the beauty... not its missing..
    05-29-17 01:46 PM
    The universal search is missing... oh my.. In the BB10 I could access mobile data by just typing mobile data.. That was the beauty... not its missing..
    Yeah I don't come from BB10 but also missed that from webOS 'just type'. I have a thread on it:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post12216722
    05-29-17 05:23 PM
    You can also set up one key for device search. You won't have to lose 26 shortcuts. Every device search will be preceded by a tap on one of the keys. With the reported delay, this would speed up the process and keep all the shortcuts available. Or set up the convenience key.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 05:42 PM
    You can also set up one key for device search. You won't have to lose 26 shortcuts. Every device search will be preceded by a tap on one of the keys. With the reported delay, this would speed up the process and keep all the shortcuts available. Or set up the convenience key.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with that is that it seems the last search doesn't clear so you need to 1. Launch Device Search 2. Clear the last search 3. Start a new search.
    06-14-18 03:02 AM