We were told that android does not work on Passport? It looks like the Fold "unfolded" is square or close to it? What gives?
    04-16-19 11:56 PM
    It appears to be geared towards people who'd prefer to carry one device instead of a phone and tablet combo. 'Tis expensive, though.
    04-17-19 12:00 AM
    We were told that android does not work on Passport? It looks like the Fold "unfolded" is square or close to it? What gives?
    The screen is 2,152 × 1,536 (1.4:1).
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-17-19 12:01 AM
    The screen is 2,152 × 1,536.
    Ok almost 4:3 is close enough for me. If you can do that 1:1 is not far off. Or please give me a bit slimmer and longer passport. Workwide was brilliant......at least for my work.
    04-17-19 12:07 AM
    The screen is 2,152 × 1,536 (1.4:1).
    My main point is that if can go from an s10 at around 2:1 to to 1.4:1, you could get close to a good workwide passport. No fold. Always on keys. Couple this with a good processor and you have a pocket genius.
    04-17-19 12:21 AM
    My main point is that if can go from an s10 at around 2:1 to to 1.4:1, you could get close to a good workwide passport. No fold. Always on keys. Couple this with a good processor and you have a pocket genius.
    1.33:1 was always the minimum allowed. So the Fold is still above that.

BlackBerry decided (rightly so) that 3:2 was probably as low as you would want to go on an Android phone to maintain usability. People already have enough problems with social media apps at that ratio.
    04-17-19 12:26 AM

BlackBerry decided (rightly so) that 3:2 was probably as low as you would want to go on an Android phone to maintain usability. People already have enough problems with social media apps at that ratio.

I get the point. I just think they are wrong but who am I? I don't see BlackBerry users driven by the ultimate social media experience. If so, a pkb/screensize is much more an issue. Anyway this is a lost argument and I know it.
    04-17-19 12:35 AM
    It is the width that makes the Passport "work". A little extra height to the screen is not a detriment. Having a short but wide device is not an advantage.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-17-19 12:44 AM
    It looks more like the HP Touchpad Go to me.
    04-17-19 12:07 PM

Aside from a couple of black bars in YouTube videos, I don't have any "problems" with YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, BBM, etc.
    04-17-19 12:11 PM
    Aside from a couple of black bars in YouTube videos, I don't have any "problems" with YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, BBM, etc.
    Instagram and SnapChat aren't designed properly, and content is cropped below 16:9.
    04-17-19 12:16 PM
    Instagram and SnapChat aren't designed properly, and content is cropped below 16:9.
    I use Instagram daily and I don't see what you're talking about. I will take your word for Snapchat though as I've never ever used it.
    04-17-19 12:50 PM
    I use Instagram daily and I don't see what you're talking about. I will take your word for Snapchat though as I've never ever used it.
    Look at stories. There are no black bars, which means it's cropped.
    04-17-19 12:52 PM
    Look at stories. There are no black bars, which means it's cropped.
    I see black bars in some stories, and the ones with no black bars look fine to me (as if they were made on a KEY2). Which is to be expected as Instagram added support for 3:2 phones and photos last year. So again: I don't see your problem. Might be an issue with your unit.
    04-17-19 01:59 PM
    I see black bars in some stories, and the ones with no black bars look fine to me (as if they were made on a KEY2). So again: I don't see your problem. Might be an issue with your unit.
    The ones that look as if they were made on the KEY², are cropped. But they should look pretty normal because there's not much missing.

Compare the same story on a slab and you will see what I mean.
    04-17-19 02:01 PM
    Aside from the already mentioned items, you were told Android didn't work in that manner based on the past dynamics of Android, those dynamics changed 5 months ago with the introduction of foldables. - https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...oldable-phones. And that doesn't help the fact that it will still take many more months before developers actually include support for it in any significant way and that's if they even bother, especially when you consider the 'rough start' Samsung is going through right now. - https://www.androidcentral.com/heres...ready-breaking
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-17-19 05:25 PM
    Might be an issue with your unit.
    Has nothing to do with the unit. Snapchat and Instagram are terrible across the board when it comes to device resolutions. You can have the same post/story look entirely different across devices. It's especially notable on KEY series vs. almost anything else. Stuff will get cropped off or be otherwise unviewable. You only notice it by comparison.

KEY2

Samsung Fold vs Passport?-57618391_384034135659114_8572008321924464640_n.png

Note 8

Samsung Fold vs Passport?-57502968_1266831333485733_3673880794109050880_n.jpg
    04-17-19 06:12 PM
    I don't see BlackBerry users driven by the ultimate social media experience.
    Between those who use social media for work and those who just care about the experience, I bet you're pushing 50%.

If so, a pkb/screensize is much more an issue.
    I would think the advantages of a capacitive PKB would be a magnet for someone who communicates mobile through social media, and the screen size a huge negative.

Anyway this is a lost argument and I know it.
    1:1 on phone? Yes, but y'all keep trying. Pretty good effort here. I'm all for wider, but also taller. Body built to run naked, and ring that sits flush, but pops out to make that wide keyboard usable without constantly dropping the phone. Wish in one hand, poopy in the other, see which fills first. I fully expect I'll keep washing my hands.
    04-17-19 10:39 PM
    Aside from the already mentioned items, you were told Android didn't work in that manner based on the past dynamics of Android, those dynamics changed 5 months ago with the introduction of foldables. - https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...oldable-phones. And that doesn't help the fact that it will still take many more months before developers actually include support for it in any significant way and that's if they even bother, especially when you consider the 'rough start' Samsung is going through right now. - https://www.androidcentral.com/heres...ready-breaking
    Yes I recall this news and was waiting with some interest to see what impact it might have. Hence my question. My point is that arguably the Passport is one of the most loved BlackBerry devices. Why ignore success if it appears some modified version is now workable.
    04-17-19 11:36 PM
    Yes I recall this news and was waiting with some interest to see what impact it might have. Hence my question. My point is that arguably the Passport is one of the most loved BlackBerry devices. Why ignore success if it appears some modified version is now workable.
    The Passport wasn't even a success by BB10 standards.

Almost 12 million BB10 devices were ultimately sold, and the Passport was WELL under a million.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-17-19 11:41 PM

Almost 12 million BB10 devices were ultimately sold, and the Passport was WELL under a million.
    Conite I respect your views. But think about the context you place your data in! I bought my SE Passport in August and it was effectively "decommissioned" by year end with the decision on Android. Don't just take sales as a measure of success. I challenge you to look at other data such as surveys. I would still bet the Passport ranks high and even higher if Android were possible with it.
    04-17-19 11:51 PM
    Conite I respect your views. But think about the context you place your data in! I bought my SE Passport in August and it was effectively "decommissioned" by year end with the decision on Android. Don't just take sales as a measure of success. I challenge you to look at other data such as surveys. I would still bet the Passport ranks high and even higher if Android were possible with it.
    The original Passport came out in August of 2014.
    04-17-19 11:54 PM
    The original Passport came out in August of 2014.
    Not my point. Sales of bb10 devices were tanking. Badly. I bought my SE Passport in August 2015. By the time it arrived rumours of Android abounded. I thought android would work on it. Otherwise I would have shipped it back. Sales data in that context are not an appropriate measure of success. Yes the Passport was not for everyone. Neither is the K2. But the k2 runs android.
    04-18-19 12:07 AM

Do we have sales data on all bb10 devices? I haven't seen them. It would be interesting to analyze further. I am guessing that sales simply trended down from start to finish...with a few blips. All because BlackBerry's revenue model was inappropriate to market developments. Not because of devices at all.
    04-18-19 12:26 AM
    They could probably make a new Passport (taller) but TCL would have to licence the keyboard and program the virtual portion. The screen would be custom as well. They might sell 400 k a year. Would you pay iPhone XR pricing?
    04-18-19 02:38 AM
32 12