Google's Android OS recieved BlackBerry's "medication" to become "the most secure Android OS" avaliable.
    12-22-17 12:47 PM
    Google's Android OS recieved BlackBerry's "medication" to become "the most secure Android OS" avaliable.
    BlackBerry owns the changes. Google doesn't benefit, nor would they want to - they have an OS that is better suited to the general consumer.
    12-22-17 01:03 PM
    So in other words BlackBerry made an OS and branded Android on it? and is Stating that it is the most secure android OS?
    12-22-17 01:14 PM
    What is "rooting" a device anyway?
    12-22-17 01:25 PM
    What is "rooting" a device anyway?
    Obtaining a super-user level of control. You can alter system apps and low-level components of the OS.

It can be very powerful for customization, but nasty in the wrong hands.
    12-22-17 01:28 PM
    Obtaining a super-user level of control. You can alter system apps and low-level components of the OS.

It can be very powerful for customization, but nasty in the wrong hands.
    Like remotely hacking your device?
    12-22-17 01:30 PM
    Like remotely hacking your device?
    If something nefarious obtains root privileges on your device, there may be no limit as to what can be accomplished.
    12-22-17 01:34 PM
    Different people keep telling you the same thing, but you're not listening and I can't tell if you just don't get it or you're deliberately being obtuse. I'll try to break this down.
    1) Google created the source code for Android. Android is the name of the OS. Blackberry added their own features such as a locked bootloader, uem, hardware root of trust and the dtek app to appeal to security minded consumers and enterprise clients. Blackberrys added security features have NOTHING to do with Google WHATSOEVER.
    2) just because nougat is root able on one device doesn't mean it is on other devices. The source code can be manipulated to make rooting difficult or impossible. More manufacturers are doing this than used to. Many flagship phones are NOT root able. Though the K1 is not a flagship device, bb is trying to improve their reputation with these security features and security has always been their number one selling point.
    12-22-17 01:37 PM
    Also, even if you could root any Android powered blackberry, there's almost nothing you could do without compromising the OS and the dtek app would flag it thereby defeating the purpose of rooting in the first place.
    12-22-17 01:43 PM
    Different people keep telling you the same thing, but you're not listening and I can't tell if you just don't get it or you're deliberately being obtuse. I'll try to break this down.
    1) Google created the source code for Android. Android is the name of the OS. Blackberry added their own features such as a locked bootloader, uem, hardware root of trust and the dtek app to appeal to security minded consumers and enterprise clients. Blackberrys added security features have NOTHING to do with Google WHATSOEVER.
    2) just because nougat is root able on one device doesn't mean it is on other devices. The source code can be manipulated to make rooting difficult or impossible. More manufacturers are doing this than used to. Many flagship phones are NOT root able. Though the K1 is not a flagship device, bb is trying to improve their reputation with these security features and security has always been their number one selling point.
    I don't think it's a case of "not listening" - it seems to me that we're dealing here with someone for whom English is a 2nd language.
    I've debated with him on other threads and I think he is genuinely trying to understand, but struggling with the concepts. Perhaps a limited knowledge of software also.

Your answer is nice and clear also.

So, I'm of the opinion that this isn't malicious, more just not knowing and having trouble with the concepts.
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-22-17 01:53 PM
    Just FYI: The Android on the KEYone is susceptible to the Janus vulnerability, i.e. you can replace the main code of a system app with own code which then runs with system permissions. This works up until the November patch.

I am not sure if BlackBerry added something like an IDS. AFAIK their "hardening" consists more of closing known vulnerabilities and locking down things.
    12-22-17 01:56 PM
    Just FYI: The Android on the KEYone is susceptible to the Janus vulnerability, i.e. you can replace the main code of a system app with own code which then runs with system permissions. This works up until the November patch.

I am not sure if BlackBerry added something like an IDS. AFAIK their "hardening" consists more of closing known vulnerabilities and locking down things.
    It may be vulnerable to the code change, but most likely, Integrity Detection would discover the alteration.
    12-22-17 02:03 PM
    Okay that makes more sense... BlackBerry has a signature start-up way to make sure their device can't be compromised that no other device has... but since it uses android os fully versus it's own os the possiblity is there would you say no to that?
    It might be possible. But no one has done it yet, even with money available via bounties.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-22-17 02:52 PM
    It's also possible to weld a car to a tree stand, doesn't mean the tree stand will hold the car.
    glwerry likes this.
    12-22-17 03:00 PM
    English is my first language if I was being referred to. I'm not that tech-savvy , so "rooting" is a term I hear a lot, but don't necessarily have a deep knowledge of. I come on here to learn from the BB tech geeks. I'm an expert in linguistics but don't expect people outside my field to understand all the associated terminology.
    12-24-17 01:57 AM
    English is my first language if I was being referred to.
    It's not you, it's the OP.
    mrsimon likes this.
    12-24-17 10:08 AM
    It's not you, it's the OP.
    Phew!!
    12-24-17 05:11 PM
    Many people don't want Android to be unrootable. About 1/4 of Android users root by choice.
    I think that was probably true back in the Gingerbread days, but I assure you that that number is nowhere near accurate today. For the vast majority of users, the need to root has disappeared as either Google has improved Android and addressed issues or as developers have implemented asked-for features. Of course, some users still root for a variety of reasons, but I'd bet that the percentage of Android users with a rooted device in 2017 is under 2% - and in the developed world, relatively few of those will be non-developers - meaning, few common users.
    12-26-17 05:35 PM
    I think that was probably true back in the Gingerbread days, but I assure you that that number is nowhere near accurate today. For the vast majority of users, the need to root has disappeared as either Google has improved Android and addressed issues or as developers have implemented asked-for features. Of course, some users still root for a variety of reasons, but I'd bet that the percentage of Android users with a rooted device in 2017 is under 2% - and in the developed world, relatively few of those will be non-developers - meaning, few common users.
    Yes. My original info is 3 years old.

Here is some data from Kaspersky from 2017:

"Our statistics show that rooting is most popular in Venezuela, with 26% of users having rooted smartphones. Algeria takes the lead among African countries, with 19% of smartphones operating with superuser access rights. In Asia, rooting Android is most popular in Bangladesh, with 13% of devices rooted. In Europe, Moldova, at 15%, has the lead.

As for Russia, 6.6% of owners of Android devices use rooted smartphones, which is close to the world average percentage (7.6%). Neither North America nor Western Europe includes any top-rooting countries."
    12-26-17 05:52 PM
    Poor Venezuela. They 's got bigger problems than rooting. Next stop for Venezuela is becoming another Cuba..
    12-26-17 06:03 PM
    are we talking about root or unlocking the bootloader?

since blackberry has the bootloader completely locked down then no we cannot unlock the bootloader.

as far as getting root access well then until someone finds a loophole then most likely the answer is no but not impossible.
    12-26-17 07:12 PM
    I don't think it's a case of "not listening" - it seems to me that we're dealing here with someone for whom English is a 2nd language.
    I've debated with him on other threads and I think he is genuinely trying to understand, but struggling with the concepts. Perhaps a limited knowledge of software also.

Your answer is nice and clear also.

So, I'm of the opinion that this isn't malicious, more just not knowing and having trouble with the concepts.
    unfamiliar with android OS used apple iOS and had jail broken the phone after doing some research to see exactly what it was about wont say that it is something as a a hacker would think of trying to do something malicious with it and probably voided any type of warranty apple has to offer... so would stick with blackberry for many reason.
    12-27-17 04:46 PM
    are we talking about root or unlocking the bootloader?

since blackberry has the bootloader completely locked down then no we cannot unlock the bootloader.

as far as getting root access well then until someone finds a loophole then most likely the answer is no but not impossible.
    that makes sense...
    12-27-17 04:48 PM
    So Basically from all the posts. BlackBerry has the right to change Android OS code to there liking and made it impenetrable to a certain extent...and someone wont be able to root the phone.
    12-27-17 04:51 PM
    So Basically from all the posts. BlackBerry has the right to change Android OS code to there liking and made it impenetrable to a certain extent...and someone wont be able to root the phone.
    OEMs can make changes to the code as long as they keep 100% compatibility with vanilla Android.

That is provided they WANT to remain OHA-compliant and have access to Google Play Services, Play Store, and other Google apps. If not, they can do anything they want.
    12-27-17 06:47 PM
50 12