Hi all. I received my keyone (Rogers pre order) about 2 weeks ago. I noticed right away the back lights around the bottom row around XCVB are much dimmer - and the $ and up arrows very bright. In lower light the keyboard looks very non uniform in terms of the back lighting - I recall this problem on many of my bb's over the years.

Anyone else?

Also - I'm finding the keys might by loose - lightly pressing the edge exposes the light underneath. While not as bad as my passport(s) I had to return - it's a little concerning.

Again anyone?

I'm thinking I need to swap or return this one -

Thanks!
    anon(10255518) likes this.
    06-12-17 09:53 PM
    I think all of my backlit keyboards were a bit uneven when I think about it. Yes, my KEYone shows it a bit, and I think I see a bit of an issue with the triangle icon as well. My Priv had the back creak and I agonized about sending it back under warranty and never did - now my daughter is quite happy with it.

In short, I'll most likely wait until I get close to the end of the warranty period and then decide if I want to return it for potential lifting screen, uneven lighting, etc. I can live with it (barely even notice it in fact,) and in the end if it's working now and I can return under warranty later on, I'll most likely get a newer one with all the kinks worked out. I haven't noticed any key looseness at all.
    ev44 and anon(10255518) like this.
    06-12-17 10:13 PM
    I've never had a physical keyboard that has not had slightly more dim or more bright keys than others. This keyboard, however, has the most consistently lit keys of any. Same with the PRIV.

Yes the C,V,B keys are just slightly more dim on mine too. No loose keys on mine. I really enjoy the typing experience on the KEYone.

The Q10, Passport, Classic were less consistent, but it has never bothered me. As long as they all light up.

I could be wrong, but I think there are just two or a few LED lights used to provide light on a BlackBerry physical keyboard. Depending on where they're located is going to cause some keys to appear more bright or more dim by slight margins.

People used to change the color of their back light by using sharpie markers to color clear tape and they would stick those on the back of each key to shine whatever color they wanted.

Last edited by AwkwardUnkleHug; 06-12-17 at 11:12 PM.
    trading-man likes this.
    06-12-17 10:53 PM
    People used to change the color of their back light by using sharpie markers to color clear tape and they would stick those on the back of each key to shine whatever color they wanted.

OMG! I forgot all about that. I'm quite happy to install Beta software and play around with hacked OS packages, but I've never actually physically altered my devices to that degree...
    06-12-17 11:15 PM
    I think it was pretty cool what people used to do with their BlackBerry keyboards back in the old days, by changing the color of the back light LEDs.
    06-12-17 11:18 PM
    If I recall correctly, it's been a long time, but I do believe there are just a few LEDs (maybe 2) that do the lighting from when I used to repair and replace BlackBerry keyboards of all kinds (and track balls).

It looks like on the KEYone, they're located under the two shift keys, just like on the PRIV.

I'm going to go look for my spare Q10 keyboard and dig it out. It might show where they are. The keyboard technologies have changed since the BBOS legacy devices.
    06-12-17 11:21 PM
    I think it was pretty cool what people used to do with their BlackBerry keyboards back in the old days, by changing the color of the back light LEDs.
    I remember when you could go to a mall kiosk and have a colour replacement installed as well.

BTW, epic username. I can relate.
    06-12-17 11:23 PM
    I remember when you could go to a mall kiosk and have a colour replacement installed as well.

BTW, epic username. I can relate.
    Thank you. I think we can all probably relate. Yeah, people used to color the track balls too.
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    06-12-17 11:25 PM
    Sorry, off topic, but...

This KEYone is like a renaissance of sorts. People, for the most part, seem really excited and actually patient with this launch. I mean, some people are upset, but I do believe this to be quite an exciting smartphone.

I've been partial to BlackBerry during the entire decline, so it's refreshing to see positive review after positive review for a BlackBerry device.

I am really enjoying the attention the device is getting. Even the "JerryRigEverything" fiasco.

It's showing people are paying more attention to this BlackBerry device than any I can remember. I agree with those who suggest the "JRE" bend test to be kind of unfair on a physical keyboard device and probably should have been approached just like he approached the PRIV regarding his bend testing. Unfair.
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    06-12-17 11:29 PM
    Careful! You'll attract the trolls! (just kidding - sort of. )

I too have been cautiously optimistic about the device. Yes, the launch could have been better. Yes, the marketing could have been better. At the end of the day, this is a fantastic device. Haters are gonna hate. And also at the end of the day, this feels like a 'real' BB device brought into the present. No outdated OS, no funky 3-row keyboard, and no compromise if you can get past the specs and the fact that it runs Android.

For what it's worth, mine runs great, better than any other device I've had recently. I'm very happy with the speed and overall performance. And that battery live is killer! Exactly what BB devices of old used to deliver.
    06-12-17 11:40 PM
    thanks all. good to know we're seeing similar "lighting" levels a cross the keyboard.

I will likely also wait until the end of the warranty period and see how it holds up and do a swap then.

I don't have any other "quality" issues - actually the opposite, I'm very impressed ok the Keynes build quality.
    06-13-17 06:31 AM
    I think all of my backlit keyboards were a bit uneven when I think about it. Yes, my KEYone shows it a bit, and I think I see a bit of an issue with the triangle icon as well. My Priv had the back creak and I agonized about sending it back under warranty and never did - now my daughter is quite happy with it.

In short, I'll most likely wait until I get close to the end of the warranty period and then decide if I want to return it for potential lifting screen, uneven lighting, etc. I can live with it (barely even notice it in fact,) and in the end if it's working now and I can return under warranty later on, I'll most likely get a newer one with all the kinks worked out. I haven't noticed any key looseness at all.
    Agreed. Thanks for the feedback.
    06-13-17 06:49 AM
    If I have a complaint about the keyboard, it would be a slight crinkley (is that a word? lol) sort of squeaking of some of the keys. It seems to have gotten a little better with use. And I kinda wish the keys were a tad easier to press, more like a 9900, vs an original Passport. Still love my KEYone, though!
    06-13-17 10:31 AM
    Hi all. I received my keyone (Rogers pre order) about 2 weeks ago. I noticed right away the back lights around the bottom row around XCVB are much dimmer - and the $ and up arrows very bright. In lower light the keyboard looks very non uniform in terms of the back lighting - I recall this problem on many of my bb's over the years.

Anyone else?

Also - I'm finding the keys might by loose - lightly pressing the edge exposes the light underneath. While not as bad as my passport(s) I had to return - it's a little concerning.

Again anyone?

I'm thinking I need to swap or return this one -

Thanks!
    I pre-ordered from RW as well and mine came from that initial batch and NONE of these issues are occurring with my device!
    anon(10255518) and duckbites like this.
    06-13-17 11:40 AM
    If I have a complaint about the keyboard, it would be a slight crinkley (is that a word? lol) sort of squeaking of some of the keys. It seems to have gotten a little better with use. And I kinda wish the keys were a tad easier to press, more like a 9900, vs an original Passport. Still love my KEYone, though!
    When I first started typing on the KEYone both my B and space bar keys made a little extra "crinkley" sound and now they don't after having "worked in" the keys a little bit. It's all even now and both of those keys are no longer making the little sounds.
    06-13-17 04:43 PM
    I pre-ordered from RW as well and mine came from that initial batch and NONE of these issues are occurring with my device!
    That is great to read about. I'm in the same boat with you. Mine is exceeding all my expectations.
    06-13-17 04:44 PM
    My take on the backlit keys... I agree that certainly on my KEYone the v and b keys are not quite as bright. But they are definitely lit and certainly do not affect the performance of the keyboard and my typing ability. I didn't get this phone to stare at the keyboard!
    Sarek1701 and duckbites like this.
    06-13-17 06:09 PM
    I dug out my old replacement Q10 keyboard and the way it is constructed does not allow me to see the LEDs because they're enclosed inside a metal housing.

On legacy BBOS devices, one could see the individual LEDs.
    06-13-17 06:40 PM
    I dug out my old replacement Q10 keyboard and the way it is constructed does not allow me to see the LEDs because they're enclosed inside a metal housing.

On legacy BBOS devices, one could see the individual LEDs.
    I'd bet that the inside of that metal housing it's probably mirror like. Just a guess!
    06-13-17 08:23 PM
    My take on the backlit keys... I agree that certainly on my KEYone the v and b keys are not quite as bright. But they are definitely lit and certainly do not affect the performance of the keyboard and my typing ability. I didn't get this phone to stare at the keyboard!
    I agree! Part of loving a PKB is the fact that I don't have to look at it to type accurately!
    duckbites likes this.
    06-13-17 08:54 PM
    My keys are all very well lit, and the keyboard itself is different than previous BlackBerry devices, but feels just as good.

I was first hesitant about the keyboard because I saw that the KEYone didn't have the sculpted keys like my Classic and most other BlackBerry devices (except the Passport). but since I've had it for about a week or so now, I've gotten used to it and I can type just as fast as ever.

I've also experienced multiple BlackBerry devices with dimly lit keys, but the KEYone has pretty perfectly lit ones. I consider this device to be lucky because it seems a lot of people on these forums are having one issue or another when it comes to the hardware.
    06-14-17 04:04 PM
    I'd bet that the inside of that metal housing it's probably mirror like. Just a guess!
    Very well could be. Yes.
    06-14-17 05:18 PM
    V and B is slightly dim but the rest seem to be more or less the same. The only completely uniform keyboard I've had was on the P'9983.
    06-15-17 10:54 PM