Yes, I know the chances of the following are slim to nil, especially considering BB new direction, but I can dream.... Maybe we'll get lucky?

Last year you suggested a new Blackberry the size of a classic could be a possibility. Now that Google has forced you to take SMS out of the hub, maybe it's time to consider it again.

Only, make this new phone on a light form of a non-android OS. I don't need a whole ton of apps on my phone. I want a phone, not a computer. Here is what I would be willing to pay for:

A device that has:
    1) phone. Ability to use physical keyboard to open the phone like the Classic. I LOVE having a dedicated button to bring up the phone and hang up. You try using a touchscreen when you are 80 or 90. Touchscreens do not respond to their fingers well. They need physical buttons too.
    2) texting. I love texting on my Q10, but absolutely hate it on virtual keyboards.
    3) email. Email works nicely with a pkb.

4) calendar. It is really nice to just type something from the home screen, then share the text with a calendar and choose the date and time. This could be shared with a desktop version, then synched from there.

And no distracting apps. I can live without most other apps. I know others live by social media apps, but do we really want to be using Facebook or Whatsapp on a supposedly secure device? Those apps go against any sense of security.

Phone, text, email, calendar.

Otherwise, if and when my Q10 finally dies or becomes unusable, I will stop texting and return to a flip phone. I really don't want anything larger than the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-19 01:07 PM
    Chen said "someone should" make a phone similar to the Classic. Thats all. He never implied that BlackBerry would do it.

I'll just leave it at that.
    03-04-19 01:27 PM
    Good to have dreams....

Just as long as you know it's just a dream. Sorry but CHEN is out of the hardware business.

Will say that a BBMo KEYdevice can be de-Googled to a degree. And you are free to not install FaceBook or WhatsApp or most any other Social Media.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-04-19 01:35 PM
    See Punkt phone.

For any more than that, you need a full-fledged OS - so back to Android or iOS.

Or look at scaled down html-based projects like KaiOS.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    03-04-19 01:35 PM
    See Punkt phone.

If that only had a full keyboard... I think many here would see it as an option. But does it even do email?
    03-04-19 01:41 PM
    If that only had a full keyboard... I think many here would see it as an option. But does it even do email?
    The Nokia 8110 4G has an email client (albeit a very basic one).
    03-04-19 01:53 PM
    The Nokia 8110 4G has an email client (albeit a very basic one).
    I suspect the JIO Phone 2 would have been the best thing for many here... if it wasn't an Indian exclusive. Or a China KEYdevcie that has been deGoogled (in favor of what?).

As it is... I think a KEYdevcie with some tweaking could still provide a somewhat basic functionality... if that is all someone wants. (another case where rooting might be Good)
    Shuswap likes this.
    03-04-19 02:06 PM
    I suspect the JIO Phone 2 would have been the best thing for many here... if it wasn't an Indian exclusive. Or a China KEYdevcie that has been deGoogled (in favor of what?).

As it is... I think a KEYdevcie with some tweaking could still provide a somewhat basic functionality... if that is all someone wants. (another case where rooting might be Good)
    JIO is essentially KAIOS.
    03-04-19 02:42 PM
    JIO is essentially KAIOS.
    KaiOS with a Palm Keyboard.... just what some here think they want.

How well it sold and how well it was received by the users that bought it... not sure. But pretty much useless outside of India, so it doesn't matter for most here.
    03-04-19 02:58 PM
    See Punkt phone.

Punkt has no QWERTY, no t useful for texting or email.

KaiOS has no QWERTY in North America. Maybe this will be the answer, but who will make a reliable hardware for it?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-19 07:12 PM
    (another case where rooting might be Good)
    Rooting might be another good answer. Unfortunately I don't know enough about rooting and what OS I could put on. That's something I'd have to look into more.

I wonder if a Jio handset could be rooted?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-19 07:21 PM
    Rooting might be another good answer. Unfortunately I don't know enough about rooting and what OS I could put on. That's something I'd have to look into more.

I wonder if a Jio handset could be rooted?

Posted via CB10
    If it were rootable, you'd have a lot of community help here on CrackBerry... but it's not.

JIO Phone 2 is only available in India, doesn't have very many bands... and is a very basic $50 phone. Not a hardware package that tech enthusiast are going to put much time into.
    03-05-19 07:15 AM