Hey guys! Can anyone recommend a good computer program for android that's like BlackBerry Link? Mainly I want it to transfer pictures and music to and from my Priv
    04-29-17 01:47 PM
    Hello you can connect your PRIV directly to PC and transfer media files.
    Here are instructions
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/06/...-a-windows-pc/
    Good luck
    04-29-17 02:17 PM
    You can also do it with BlackBerry 10, in this OS you can choose what to do: just recharging or file exchange. When you connect an android device it becomes even more immediate, here you can choose between recharging, photo tranferring and file transferring. The phone becomes just like an usb key

From my awesome Z30
    04-29-17 03:02 PM
    Yes BB10 has such a function but OP is asking about his PRIV.
    04-29-17 03:05 PM
    The Priv, and all Android phones, support direct file access when plugged in via USB - just like BB10. No extra software needed.
    05-01-17 10:51 PM
    You could also use MyPhoneExplorer for this and other things like sending SMS or accessing your contacts - it connects also via Bluetooth and WIFI, which I find quite convenient ....
    05-02-17 02:54 AM
    The Priv, and all Android phones, support direct file access when plugged in via USB - just like BB10. No extra software needed.
    Yes, but that doesn't provide a way to sync calendars and contacts. For Mac, there is SyncMate, which provides a way to sync calendars between the Android device and the calendar on the Mac, as well as contact sync.

Some of us do not want to use cloud based sync options, some for security and privacy concerns, and some, like me, because they are often in a place with no coverage, or very expensive and slow internet, making a cloud based approach inconvenient and expensive, as well a unreliable. If you have two devices in the same room, there should be no reason to use the internet to sync them. With SyncMate I can sync via bluetooth. It just makes much more sense. I just wish they made it for PC.
    05-02-17 03:09 PM
    Yes, but that doesn't provide a way to sync calendars and contacts. For Mac, there is SyncMate, which provides a way to sync calendars between the Android device and the calendar on the Mac, as well as contact sync.
    Yeah, but the OP said nothing about syncing calendar and contacts.

Only asking about copying music and image files to and from a PC. That can be done directly as is.

The discussion drifted from that original question.

BTW, even with BB10, it wasn't ever required to use Link to transfer files.

Joel
    05-02-17 03:55 PM
    Yeah, but the OP said nothing about syncing calendar and contacts.

Only asking about copying music and image files to and from a PC. That can be done directly as is.

The discussion drifted from that original question.

BTW, even with BB10, it wasn't ever required to use Link to transfer files.

Joel
    Yes, of course. Still...
    05-02-17 03:58 PM
    Yes, but that doesn't provide a way to sync calendars and contacts.
    I'm sure there's an app for that out there, but the world has almost completely moved on from direct device-to-PC syncing. The cloud is the present and the future. I know some folks here don't want to hear that, but it's the truth.

I haven't had to deal with syncing (my) contacts in nearly a decade. The last time was pulling them off of a RAZR via cable and importing them into Gmail. Since then, they've been available on every device I own automatically - without any work from me. And all of my many devices are always current. If I took a hammer to my smartphone today, I could buy any Android phone tomorrow, log in, and in a couple of hours, max, all my apps and data would be on my new phone (yes, I'd have to log into some of the other apps once). I never have to remember to sync - it's taken care of.

That's the experience most of the world is looking for. The few who are cloud-resistant will need to research alternative solutions. If I had an app name, I'd happily share it with you, but it's such a rare request that I've never needed to investigate a solution myself.
    05-02-17 07:48 PM
    I'm sure there's an app for that out there, but the world has almost completely moved on from direct device-to-PC syncing. The cloud is the present and the future. I know some folks here don't want to hear that, but it's the truth.

I haven't had to deal with syncing (my) contacts in nearly a decade. The last time was pulling them off of a RAZR via cable and importing them into Gmail. Since then, they've been available on every device I own automatically - without any work from me. And all of my many devices are always current. If I took a hammer to my smartphone today, I could buy any Android phone tomorrow, log in, and in a couple of hours, max, all my apps and data would be on my new phone (yes, I'd have to log into some of the other apps once). I never have to remember to sync - it's taken care of.

That's the experience most of the world is looking for. The few who are cloud-resistant will need to research alternative solutions. If I had an app name, I'd happily share it with you, but it's such a rare request that I've never needed to investigate a solution myself.
    \lad you don't have the need, but some people do. I already have my solution, and I posted it in case anyone else had the need.

There really isn't anything like it out there for PC. There is Companionlink, but it isn't as nice as SyncMate, as it requires the use of special contact and calendar apps.
    05-02-17 07:58 PM
    Hey guys! Can anyone recommend a good computer program for android that's like BlackBerry Link? Mainly I want it to transfer pictures and music to and from my Priv
    I personally prefer the "old-school" drag-and-drop method. If you have and SD card in your Priv (and you should), your PC should be able top recognize it and open it as a folder. When you plug it in via USB. Then you should be able to copy and paste (or drag and drop) and files that you want. As far as I'm concerned, this is the most convenient way and foolproof to ensure that only the files you want are being transferred over. I'm sure some people could argue that some other 'sync' methods are easier but I like to do it manually and I don't see how there could ever be a more efficient way to do it than this, in my opinion.
    PHughes likes this.
    05-02-17 08:15 PM