I sure would love to hear TCL’s side of the story. I believe the failure of Android BlackBerry is shared by both BlackBerry Ltd and TCL.

An OEM should be able to make software updates and patches without requiring a third party. BlackBerry should not be charging such an unreasonable royalty that limits TCL to making only PKB
    devices.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-12-19 at 04:41 PM.
    08-12-19 03:27 PM
    BlackBerry should not be charging such an unreasonable royalty that limits TCL to making only PKB devices.
    There's that, and also they seem to be so strongly defending their "oh-so-precious" PKB patents in an era where very few give a damn about a PKB at all.
    08-12-19 03:32 PM
    And what will you do when comes time to panic?

Which devices/manufacturers would you look forward to?
    There is no "panic" scenario for most of us. You seem to want Conite to be more emotional than he is. If BlackBerry Mobile disappears, that's the risk of being in business. There was never any guarantee they would succeed.

I believe in avoiding speculation, because it won't change anything. When I bought my KEYone, I knew the risk that BlackBerry Mobile might not succeed and that my device might be orphaned. That's ALWAYS the case when buying a new product from a new company.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    SeeBeeEss and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-12-19 03:33 PM
    There is no "panic" scenario for most of us. You seem to want Conite to be more emotional than he is.
    Yes there is. The physical keyboard on a mobile phone is an endangered species right now, and I strongly want that PKB options are ensured for those of us who want them.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-12-19 03:37 PM
    ...If we don't get Pie by Sep, it would indicate a problem. If we don't see a KEY³ by MWC, it would indicate a problem...
    Didn't you mention August as your deadline for PIE a few weeks ago? I have to read the old answers from you.
    08-12-19 03:47 PM
    Didn't you mention August as your deadline for PIE a few weeks ago? I have to read the old answers from you.
    I made dozens of posts about it. I oscillated between Aug/Sep to just one or the other.
    08-12-19 03:48 PM

An OEM should be able to make software updates and patches without requiring a third party. BlackBerry should not be charging such an unreasonable royalty that limits TCL to making only PKB
    devices.
    A deal is a deal, no?

I also think TCL hoped to make inroads with businesses in NA, so I'm sure they thought it would be necessary to do it this way.
    08-12-19 03:49 PM
    I sure would love to hear TCL’s side of the story. I believe the failure of Android BlackBerry is shared by both BlackBerry Ltd and TCL.

devices.

Still waiting for Conite to admit that TCL fibbed about the 10,000 Key 2’s purchased by a Canadian bank.
    I think it was doomed to begin with... BlackBerry was lucky to trick a few unaware groups into signing up when the did. But bottom line the BlackBerry Tax was too high and enterprise was happy with the transition to Apple and Samsung that was well underway... BB10 was a dead end for almost two years before the KEYone hit the market...
    08-12-19 03:51 PM
    I made dozens of posts about it. I oscillated between Aug/Sep to just one or the other.
    You started with August. When will you end?
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-12-19 03:51 PM
    There is no "panic" scenario for most of us. You seem to want Conite to be more emotional than he is. If BlackBerry Mobile disappears, that's the risk of being in business. There was never any guarantee they would succeed.

I believe in avoiding speculation, because it won't change anything. When I bought my KEYone, I knew the risk that BlackBerry Mobile might not succeed and that my device might be orphaned. That's ALWAYS the case when buying a new product from a new company.

The problem is that many consumers were banking on the fact that the devices were BlackBerry phones. They might have assumed that both BlackBerry Ltd and TCL were working together to make BlackBerry phones that had current software and at least a “BlackBerry”level of post sales support and reliability.

Some buyers might have been persuaded by TCL’s commitment to PKB phones.

“Speaking to Mobile News, TCL Communication GM and chief commercial officer for BlackBerry Mobile Francois Mahieu (below, left) says BlackBerry wants to “stay true to the brand”.

“The strategy is and has always been to stay very true to this iconic keyboard design and that will stay,” says Mahieu. “We will continue to invest in the area of keyboards and it helps us to stand out – it’s a fundamental element.”

You were not buying a Titan.
    dubengeldu likes this.
    08-12-19 03:53 PM
    You started with August. When will you end?
    You seem oddly focused on the wrong thing atm.
    08-12-19 03:54 PM
    You seem oddly focused on the wrong thing atm.
    Really?

I'm just finding that you're tacitly correcting what you said a few weeks ago.

First you called August, then you spoke of August/September. And now you only write about September.

Or did I read your contributions wrong? I really do take a look.
    08-12-19 04:03 PM
    Really?

I'm just finding that you're tacitly correcting what you said a few weeks ago.

First you called August, then you spoke of August/September. And now you only write about September.

Or did I read your contributions wrong? I really do take a look.
    I'm not sure what it adds to the general discourse, but I will promise you I will be more concerned if we don't hear about Pie in September. Ok?

I'll go from 1 to 3 on the alarmometer.
    08-12-19 04:15 PM
    lets settle down and stop the name calling. We still dont actually know anything. We have a random post out of nowhere with a new member, its speculation just as EVERYTHING else is.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-12-19 04:38 PM
    lets settle down and stop the name calling. We still dont actually know anything. We have a random post out of nowhere with a new member, its speculation just as EVERYTHING else is.
    This is true. People I think are just speculating on the lack of any word coming out of BBMo. Which was not the norm when they first started this project with high hopes. They engaged even when there wasn't a lot of news. Now its radio silence so I can see why most would think something major has changed.
    08-12-19 04:41 PM
    This is true. People I think are just speculating on the lack of any word coming out of BBMo. Which was not the norm when they first started this project with high hopes. They engaged even when there wasn't a lot of news. Now its radio silence so I can see why most would think something major has changed.
    I agree things seem quite murky and certainly not positive for some on here. Radio silence can go both ways, either they are still on the "releasing next year" as stated or things are falling apart. We just dont know
    08-12-19 04:45 PM
    Anecdotal:

I was talking to a Bell sales rep today. He said business as usual no indications from Bell that the device can not be stocked or is out of production.
    08-12-19 05:40 PM
    Yes there is. The physical keyboard on a mobile phone is an endangered species right now, and I strongly want that PKB options are ensured for those of us who want them.
    I'm not going to panic about a PKB. Both my Passport and my KEYone work great, and the KEYone on Oreo should run all apps in the Google Play store for another couple of years at least.

Beyond that, I not having a PKB isn't my personal problem. I'd be happier with BB10 in a slab than with Android in a PKB. For me, the bug loss was the failure of BB10 and the BlackBerry approach to getting mobile work done, not the failure of BlackBerry Mobile to insert a PKB into the Android experience.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-12-19 05:50 PM
    The problem is that many consumers were banking on the fact that the devices were BlackBerry phones. They might have assumed that both BlackBerry Ltd and TCL were working together to make BlackBerry phones that had current software and at least a “BlackBerry”level of post sales support and reliability.

Some buyers might have been persuaded by TCL’s commitment to PKB phones.

“Speaking to Mobile News, TCL Communication GM and chief commercial officer for BlackBerry Mobile Francois Mahieu (below, left) says BlackBerry wants to “stay true to the brand”.

“The strategy is and has always been to stay very true to this iconic keyboard design and that will stay,” says Mahieu. “We will continue to invest in the area of keyboards and it helps us to stand out – it’s a fundamental element.”

You were not buying a Titan.
    Companies launch new products with high hopes and the best intentions every day. Most products (and companies) fail and disappear within a few years. If BBMO stops selling phones it is neither a tragedy or a scandal. It's just business as usual.

08-12-19 06:09 PM
    I'm not going to panic about a PKB. Both my Passport and my KEYone work great, and the KEYone on Oreo should run all apps in the Google Play store for another couple of years at least.

Beyond that, I not having a PKB isn't my personal problem. I'd be happier with BB10 in a slab than with Android in a PKB. For me, the bug loss was the failure of BB10 and the BlackBerry approach to getting mobile work done, not the failure of BlackBerry Mobile to insert a PKB into the Android experience.

Sure but the current PKB devices will be too slow and/or unusable at one point, so it's nice to know there will be something to look forward to
    08-12-19 07:07 PM
    Sure but the current PKB devices will be too slow and/or unusable at one point, so it's nice to know there will be something to look forward to
    I think everyone knows, and has known for years, that PKB smartphones are/have been in danger of going extinct for the last 6-7 years, which is around the time that nearly all OEMs phased them out. That didn't happen overnight - it really started with the release of the Galaxy S1 and kind of ended with the Verizon Motorola Droid 4, which IIRC was the last major phone with a PKB outside of BB (a landscape slider).

To put it another way, at the start of 2007, smartphones with PKBs represented nearly 100% of the smartphone market (which was admittedly much smaller overall at the time), while by 2012, smartphones with PKBs were less than 3% of all smartphones sold. That's BEFORE the release of BB10.

We've been talking for years about how it's questionable that the market for PKB smartphones is large enough to be sustainable, and what numbers we do have are pretty clear that the PKB smartphone market has continued to shrink every year. Given that, it was only a matter of time before PKB phones dropped below the level that it would be feasible for a mainstream manufacturer to offer them. It seems quite likely that we've reached that point, but even if we haven't - meaning, even if a K3 is released - I suspect that the K3 would be the end of the line.

Sure, there are likely to be Kickstarter projects every couple of years, because the market will never disappear completely, but it will be too small to interest major companies. McDonalds isn't going to give you a franchise license to open a McD's in a location where demand is only 50 burgers a day either. 50 burgers isn't zero, but it's not enough to interest a major company.
    08-12-19 08:11 PM
    I think everyone knows, and has known for years, that PKB smartphones are/have been in danger of going extinct for the last 6-7 years, which is around the time that nearly all OEMs phased them out. That didn't happen overnight - it really started with the release of the Galaxy S1 and kind of ended with the Verizon Motorola Droid 4, which IIRC was the last major phone with a PKB outside of BB (a landscape slider).

To put it another way, at the start of 2007, smartphones with PKBs represented nearly 100% of the smartphone market (which was admittedly much smaller overall at the time), while by 2012, smartphones with PKBs were less than 3% of all smartphones sold. That's BEFORE the release of BB10.

We've been talking for years about how it's questionable that the market for PKB smartphones is large enough to be sustainable, and what numbers we do have are pretty clear that the PKB smartphone market has continued to shrink every year. Given that, it was only a matter of time before PKB phones dropped below the level that it would be feasible for a mainstream manufacturer to offer them. It seems quite likely that we've reached that point, but even if we haven't - meaning, even if a K3 is released - I suspect that the K3 would be the end of the line.

Sure, there are likely to be Kickstarter projects every couple of years, because the market will never disappear completely, but it will be too small to interest major companies. McDonalds isn't going to give you a franchise license to open a McD's in a location where demand is only 50 burgers a day either. 50 burgers isn't zero, but it's not enough to interest a major company.
    Got it.

Well, kickstarter it is.

These things will have very questionable software and hardware support, but it's something.

I hold out my money to anyone who makes a PKB device...

...as long as it isn't over 300g like the Titan
    08-12-19 08:32 PM
    Got it.

Well, kickstarter it is.

These things will have very questionable software and hardware support, but it's something.

I hold out my money to anyone who makes a PKB device...

...as long as it isn't over 300g like the Titan
    If I were you... I'd buy the Titan and at least show the market there is interest. Even if you never turn on the phone.

Unihertz get's 30K- 50K supporters, someone will take note. They peak out at 3K supporters and again someone will take note.
    08-13-19 07:59 AM
    If I were you... I'd buy the Titan and at least show the market there is interest. Even if you never turn on the phone.

Unihertz get's 30K- 50K supporters, someone will take note. They peak out at 3K supporters and again someone will take note.
    Ahhh... I bit the bullet and pledged the $239! There were only 3 spots left, couldn't resist!

Come December, if I really don't like the device I'll just end up selling it on eBay lol.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-13-19 12:12 PM
    Ahhh... I bit the bullet and pledged the $239! There were only 3 spots left, couldn't resist!

Come December, if I really don't like the device I'll just end up selling it on eBay lol.
    Finally! Félicitations bro !
    08-14-19 03:29 AM
56 123