Hello,

I am KeyOne user.
    For quick notes I am (I was...) using Notes by BlackBerry app.
    Unfortunately, my notes are gone - just disappeared without warning.

Has anyone meet an issue like this?
    Is there any possible solution that could recover missing files?
    Where the notes are stored?

It is also a warning for other users.... better backup important things somewhere else.....

Thanks for any help!
    09-17-18 07:17 AM
    Could you confirm which version of Notes and BlackBerry Hub+ Services you're using? And which Android OS version?

If you PM me your email address, I can have our support team reach out to collect logs.
    09-17-18 10:31 AM
    Hello, PM sent.
    09-17-18 02:11 PM
    Hello,

I am KeyOne user.
    For quick notes I am (I was...) using Notes by BlackBerry app.
    Unfortunately, my notes are gone - just disappeared without warning.

Has anyone meet an issue like this?
    Is there any possible solution that could recover missing files?
    Where the notes are stored?

It is also a warning for other users.... better backup important things somewhere else.....

Thanks for any help!
    I lost ALL my notes when I did the September 10 Notes By BlackBerry Beta App update... πŸ˜–

I sent an email asking about why this happened and if there was any possibility of having my notes recovered. To date I have not received a response.

I won't make this mistake again... I will back up my notes before doing an update. Still... losing my notes should not of happened in my opinion. I guess it comes with the territory using BlackBerry Beta.

Bob
    09-17-18 03:34 PM
    Could you confirm which version of Notes and BlackBerry Hub+ Services you're using? And which Android OS version?

If you PM me your email address, I can have our support team reach out to collect logs.
    See above post... Notes version 1.6.2.15830 Blackberry Hub+Services version 1.6.2.52265 Priv 6.0.1

Bob
    09-17-18 03:44 PM
    Interesting... shortly after my posts regarding losing all my notes I received an email from Jeriko with BlackBerry Technical Support. He requested some information which I furnished... no idea where this will end up, but I will post with a follow up when I have more information.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 09-17-18 at 04:55 PM.
    09-17-18 04:17 PM
    At least started a response

Interesting... shortly after my posts regarding losing all my notes I received an email from Jeriko with BlackBerry Technical Support. He requested some information which I furnished... no idea where this will end up, but I will post with a follow up when I have more information.

Bob
    09-17-18 08:34 PM
    At least started a response
    The email I received from BlackBerry Technical Support was in response to my comments in the Google Play Store regarding losing ALL my notes so this was simply a coincidence. I never heard anything from my direct email to BlackBerry Technical Support.

Because I hadn't backed up my notes Jeriko confirmed what I already knew. There is no way to recover the notes I lost from doing the update.

This will not happen to me again with any notes that are important... I will be backing them up!!! I recommend others do the same or risk losing them like I did.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 09-18-18 at 07:24 AM.
    09-17-18 09:44 PM
    Received an email late this afternoon from Jeriko with BlackBerry Technical Support and he had me do a Bug report and submit the logs. Waiting to hear back from him to see what he instructs me to do next.

Jeriko thinks the notes are still on my Priv... being hidden or not displayed for some reason. Hopefully that is the case and he will find a way to restore them.

Bob
    09-18-18 06:48 PM
    Sorry I missed your previous comment. Good luck on the recovery.
    Received an email late this afternoon from Jeriko with BlackBerry Technical Support and he had me do a Bug report and submit the logs. Waiting to hear back from him to see what he instructs me to do next.

Jeriko thinks the notes are still on my Priv... being hidden or not displayed for some reason. Hopefully that is the case and he will find a way to restore them.

Bob
    09-18-18 07:21 PM
    Good luck on the recovery.
    Thanks... I was encouraged with Jeriko thinking my notes are hidden on the device or not displayed for some reason.

I will update after I hear back from Jeriko and find out what the next step is... if there is one.

Fingers crossed... πŸ˜‰

Bob
    09-18-18 08:11 PM
    @Bob80220, @Cuban51, did you ever choose "Uninstall updates" from the 3-dots menu in Settings -> Apps -> BlackBerry Hub+ Services? That would cause local notes to disappear.
    09-19-18 09:39 AM
    @Bob80220, @Cuban51, did you ever choose "Uninstall updates" from the 3-dots menu in Settings -> Apps -> BlackBerry Hub+ Services? That would cause local notes to disappear.
    I did not @LiamQ... my notes disappeared after doing the BlackBerry Beta updates that were released a week or so ago and Notes by BlackBerry was one of the updates.

Bob
    09-19-18 09:55 AM
    Bob80220 what method will you use for backup? I really never want this to happen to me.
    09-19-18 10:31 AM
    I did not also.

Only unusual activity which was done on my KeyOne at that time was:
    - Update of Microsoft apps application requested additional permissions, as it is now Your phone companion
    - I have cleared cache (but i do it often, and never caused any issues)
    - I had issue with synchronization between phone and outlook account, in calendar precisely, phone settled appointments were not visible in Outlook, PC outlook appointments were visible in BB calendar in different calendar....strange. Re-adding account helped, now also notes synchronize.

But previous notes are gone. Forever.

PS. I'm not Beta user
    PS2. Maybe notes are so good encrypted that Notes cannot decrypt them ?
    09-19-18 11:54 AM
    Bob80220 what method will you use for backup? I really never want this to happen to me.
    From what I can determine, it appears I could save my notes on GoogleDrive or forward them to an email address. If there is a better way, perhaps @LiamQ would have a suggestion. I will ask Jeriko from BlackBerry Technical Support when I hear back from him hopefully later today.

Bob
    09-19-18 12:30 PM
    From what I can determine, it appears I could save my notes on GoogleDrive or forward them to an email address. If there is a better way, perhaps @LiamQ would have a suggestion. I will ask Jeriko from BlackBerry Technical Support when I hear back from him hopefully later today.

Bob
    Isn’t LiamQ there as well? I think so but could be wrong again....
    09-19-18 08:57 PM
    I have had excellent attentiveness and responses from Jeriko with BlackBerry Technical Support through the week which I appreciate very much. However, after numerous attempts by his direction to recover my lost notes from the Notes by BlackBerry App, I have sadly been unable to retrieve them. Again, this happened after doing the numerous updates a couple of weeks ago for the BlackBerry Beta Apps.

My losing of my notes is a different situation than the OP's, as he posted, as he is not part of the BlackBerry Beta App program. Having this happen is certainly frustrating and disappointing but in the end my life will go on. I will most definitely back up any notes in the future on a regular basis if I do continue to use Notes by BlackBerry.

If anything changes I will update this thread but unfortunately as is the case with @Cuban51, I will unfortunately have to accept the reality my notes are forever lost... πŸ˜–

Bob
    09-21-18 10:26 AM
    Well, it might be a bit to too bold, but:
    - As notes disappear happened to more than one person, we can say that the app has an issue
    - If so, there should be a correction made to prevent this kind of issue to happen again
    - as the problem root cause is unknown (it seems so), we should at least recovery option. Maybe some backup file stored locally in, eg. locker would be a solution for now?

Don't get me wrong, i am not in the position to tell developer how to treat their app, but imagine if this happen again in any cases, wouldn't it be nice to have an solution then?
    Bob80220 likes this.
    09-21-18 02:51 PM
    wouldn't it be nice to have an solution then?
    Yes, but it doesn't appear BlackBerry Technical Support had a solution for you or for me @Cuban51. Two different scenerios where notes disappeared from the Notes by BlackBerry App and there doesn't appear to be a way to recover them. I know you attempted to recover your notes as instructed by BlackBerry Technical Support using the Content Transfer App, as have I, but unfortunately no notes were recovered. I have worked with Jeriko doing a few other procedures but to date nothing has resolved the issue recovering my notes.

As I stated above, if I continue putting notes in the Notes by BlackBerry App I will have to be diligent and back them up on Google Drive or send a copy of my notes to my email. Maybe I should consider buying a spiral notebook and keeping my notes in there... hahaha No doubt you are as frustrated and disappointed as I am over this issue.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 09-21-18 at 05:38 PM.
    09-21-18 05:24 PM
    Well, Maybe i haven't emphasised it enouh clearly.

I meant, that app developer could use this opportunity to implement backup option.

in case of further issues.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    09-23-18 02:25 AM
    Having worked with Jeriko at BlackBerry Technical Support over the past couple of weeks regarding my lost notes issue, he emailed today saying my case will be tagged as an archive. After sending him bug reports, logs, screenshots, information and answers to his questions and requests, sadly there was no resolution to my lost notes.

He indicated all of this information was given to the development team so hopefully my time spent with Jeriko will ultimately have a positive result in the future with the Notes by BlackBerry App.

Bob
    HershL likes this.
    09-25-18 04:01 PM
    Maybe you should try to use another note app like "Google Notes" . It is backed up in the cloud, and accessible via browser or app.

Normally, I am not very fond of cloud services, however, you do not store sensitive information in a notes app, so you should be fine.
    12-01-18 07:40 AM
    Hello,
    I'm also a Key One user. The same thing happened to me. The notes disappeared and I couldn't get them back and I was obviously bummed. Then it happened again, I would like to say, this time I was prepared but that would be a lie, I wasn't. But I did come up with an idea what to try. So I open my notes, all the text - gone, my precious song lyrics - gone, just me and the blank page staring at each other, then I held down the power button long enough to force restart (divine intervention?). Note, not just press it until it asks if you want to power off or restart - NO, hold the power button down until it forces the phone to restart. After the restart, Voila! the text reappeared an everything was right again with the world. Why I'm fairly confidently recommending it now? It just happened again today and reminded me to write a post about it. Its been like 3rd or 4th time now. The key might be to do it right away and not click away from the blank note page, otherwise it may autosave the blank page and then the trick might not work anymore. I literally made this account just to write this post in hopes that it helps someone! Just keep that in mind for the future and hopefully it works for you as well!
    gizmo21 likes this.
    08-09-19 04:56 PM
    @LiamQ so this post of Pete2020 should be a start to fix this bug finally and please consider an easy backup method (even csv file would be better than nothing).
    08-15-19 12:47 AM
28 12