BlackBerry begins rollout of May Android security update | CrackBerry.com

Any KEYone already?

D50s seem to be again the forerunners:
    /blackberry-dtek50-f454/may-security-patch-here-1107391/

But why again -May 1, 2017, or later-?

Does it again mean some devices still not getting the full security patch (like the PRIV in April), as this would be then -2017-05-05-: Complete security patch level string. This security patch level string indicates that all issues associated with 2017-05-01 and 2017-05-05 (and all previous security patch level strings) are addressed.

Http://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2017-05-01
    05-05-17 11:44 PM
    Let's hope we get this sooner than the April patch...
    05-06-17 10:13 AM
    Factory unlocked Shop BlackBerry PRIV in Canada. No update yet. I used to get these immediately after they were announced, now it seems to take days or weeks before I see the update. Not sure why such a noticeable change.
    05-06-17 11:13 AM
    But why again - May 1, 2017, or later-?
    As far as I know the 1st May (or any month for that matter) is a partial security patch. Whereas the 5th May or June ect. Is the full security patch for the month.

I think Blackberry definitely aim for the 5th string but if they run into problems, like they did last month, they can always send out the 1st string since they did not promise the 5th

It's more of a back up and safety net.
    05-07-17 01:06 AM
    Mine and my wife's Shop BlackBerry Privs haven't yet received the update. The delay seems to have increased each month in Feb, Mar, and very much in April. My Son's unlocked Asus phone, however, gets them within 1 day of being released. So much for BlackBerry zero-day patching. :-(
    05-07-17 09:20 PM
    It's really too bad. Not sure why BB rushes out an announcement about the monthly security update and says things like "An updated software version is available immediately for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones that have been purchased from ShopBlackBerry.com. " This is obviously not true, nor has it been true for at least the last couple months.

I do hope this is an isolated bump in the road, but time will tell. BB is asking its users to trust them that they are providing the world's most secure android smartphone, but reality seems to differ.
    1122334455667788 likes this.
    05-08-17 09:00 AM
    I just got mine today. DTEK60 from shop BlackBerry.
    05-08-17 10:12 AM
    I just got mine today. DTEK60 from shop BlackBerry.
    Same here
    05-08-17 10:24 AM
    It's really too bad. Not sure why BB rushes out an announcement about the monthly security update and says things like "An updated software version is available immediately for BlackBerry powered by Android smartphones that have been purchased from ShopBlackBerry.com. " This is obviously not true, nor has it been true for at least the last couple months.

I do hope this is an isolated bump in the road, but time will tell. BB is asking its users to trust them that they are providing the world's most secure android smartphone, but reality seems to differ.
    The patch level is May 5th, and so was the announcement.

DTEK50 got it on May 5th, and the DTEK60 on May 8th.

April was a blip - presumably due to a problem dealing with a Qualcomm driver.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-08-17 01:32 PM
    It's good to hear that the DTEK 60 is getting it starting today. Nothing for my ShopBB PRIV yet. I do hope that it is just a blip, but as stated previously, time will tell, not a statement.

I don't want to turn this into something more than it is, but when I hear immediately, I expect immediately. If the exception moves toward becoming the norm, trust is lost, customers are lost.
    05-08-17 01:51 PM

I'm assuming these are unlocked dates. My DTEK50 is still on March and my Priv is on April. Both are telus locked phones. Anyone get updates on Telus for their DTEK50 yet?
    05-08-17 01:56 PM
    I'm assuming these are unlocked dates.
    Yes, which is the only thing BlackBerry can control.

I know Rogers hasn't got April or May yet on the DTEK50.
    05-08-17 01:58 PM
    Nice to see it rolling out a bit better this month. Still nothing on my unlocked ShopBB STV100-1 PRIV.
    05-08-17 02:02 PM
    Yes, which is the only thing BlackBerry can control.

I know Rogers hasn't got April or May yet on the DTEK50.
    Thx Conite. You're consistently one of the best on these forums for timely responses and information. It's funny, if you look on Telus website for software upgrade schedule they list the DTEK50 as May 1 for security update yet still nothing.
    05-08-17 02:03 PM

Great, hopefully PRIV and K1 also gets the full sec patch of May 5th.
    05-08-17 02:31 PM
    Just got mine on DTEK 60 purchased on Shop blackberry
    05-08-17 07:12 PM
    I'm assuming these are unlocked dates. My DTEK50 is still on March and my Priv is on April. Both are telus locked phones. Anyone get updates on Telus for their DTEK50 yet?
    Unlocked DTEK50 here: still on March 5 patch. I don't understand why BlkBry just doesn't host these patches so we can d/l ourselves.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-08-17 09:58 PM
    May 9th nothing here in Australia
    05-09-17 02:20 AM
    Unlocked DTEK50 here: still on March 5 patch. I don't understand why BlkBry just doesn't host these patches so we can d/l ourselves.
    That would be great. Especially for the folks with carrier phones.
    05-09-17 08:25 AM
    They do.

You can download autoloaders direct from BlackBerry. They usually appear a few weeks after initial OTA availability.

/blackberry-dtek50-f454/blackberry-dtek50-autoloaders-1082398/

/blackberry-dtek60-f457/blackberry-dtek60-autoloader-1089926/

/blackberry-priv-f440/blackberry-priv-autoloaders-1065667/
    05-09-17 08:38 AM
    One thing I noticed that I'm very happy about is the increase in responsiveness of unlocking the phone via the finger print scanner on the DTEK60. It used to lag significantly but now is quite snappy. My friends used to even comment on how slow it was to unlock.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    05-09-17 09:11 AM
    They do.

You can download autoloaders direct from BlackBerry. They usually appear a few weeks after initial OTA availability.....
    Thank you. Just one question : will these autoloaders completely reconfigure my setup or does one's apps and settings remain the same post installation?
    05-09-17 01:08 PM
    Thank you. Just one question : will these autoloaders completely reconfigure my setup or does one's apps and settings remain the same post installation?
    If you are signed into a Google account, and selected to backup your data, much of it will come back after a restore.

But the autoloader does wipe the device.

What gets backed up:
    Google Calendar settings
    Wi-Fi networks & passwords
    Home screen wallpapers
    Gmail settings
    Apps installed through Google Play (backed up on the Play Store app)
    Display settings (Brightness & Sleep)
    Language & Input settings
    Date & Time
    Third-party app settings & data (varies by app)

Note:*Not all apps*use*Android Backup Service. Some apps may not back up and restore all data.
    05-09-17 01:11 PM
    Appreciate your input Conite, thanks again.

While I've your attention, would you please comment on the following.

I'm still unclear as to why the availability of these security patches is so well...patchy (sorry).

I'm in Canada, with an unlocked Dtek50 and am wondering when, if ever, I'm due an update (from the March patch the phone installed at the time of initially booting up).

Are there any parameters or settings within the phone itself to jump start the process? I know how to manually check for updates but that's it and I really don't want to go through the autoloader rigmarole -- had enough of that in BB10.
    05-09-17 01:31 PM
    Appreciate your input Conite, thanks again.

While I've your attention, would you please comment on the following.

I'm still unclear as to why the availability of these security patches is so well...patchy (sorry).

I'm in Canada, with an unlocked Dtek50 and am wondering when, if ever, I'm due an update (from the March patch the phone installed at the time of initially booting up).

Are there any parameters or settings within the phone itself to jump start the process? I know how to manually check for updates but that's it and I really don't want to go through the autoloader rigmarole -- had enough of that in BB10.
    Unless you got the device from a carrier, the device should be factory-unlocked and get immediate updates. Both April and May updates came out quickly, and you should have received them already. My friends on Rogers, however, are still on the March patch.

Bring up your dial pad and type *#*#2432546#*#*

This will force an update check.
    05-09-17 01:38 PM
47 12