When apps have an option to turn blink light on and off (many still do), why can't there also be an option to specify the colour?

And secondly, if this can be done with an app on Playstore, why can't BlackBerry bake it into the OS? I would much rather have BlackBerry control this at the OS level rather than granting some third party practically every permission under the sun.
    05-13-19 07:00 PM
    if this can be done with an app on Playstore, why can't BlackBerry bake it into the OS?
    You know parts of this go back to the SMS integration Google played around with and that you firmly believe BlackBerry should have fixed right? A lot of the LED apps no longer work right because of that and how the notification channel changes they made work - https://www.reactle.com/2018/10/features-removed.html
    05-13-19 07:07 PM
    You know parts of this go back to the SMS integration Google played around with and that you firmly believe BlackBerry should have fixed right? A lot of the LED apps no longer work right. - https://www.reactle.com/2018/10/features-removed.html
    All I am saying is there is still an option to turn it on and off. So how hard can it be to specify a colour?

And maybe you're right, it's not that different from the whole SMS issue - this is what happens when you leave it to others to do your work for you. It's use it or lose it.

Anyway, LED is important to BlackBerry users and BlackBerry puts one on their phone. So do something with it instead of following Google who doesn't even put one on their phones anymore. LOL.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:12 PM
    All I am saying is there is still an option to turn it on and off. So how hard can it be to specify a colour?
    Google locked it out. Before, you could set it up as part of the app setup process. Now, you have to choose a color on the initial run and there is no option to change it unless you reset said app and choose another color.

Plus, there's whole fragmentation thing that stems from years of some apps building it in and some apps letting Android handle it. Take a look at most of the apps that offer it now.. a lot of them are broken due to Google changes or they have gone outside of the Play Store to offer newer, working versions to their users.

I agree with you, the LED is an important feature for BlackBerry users but in the next 2-3 years, I doubt it'll even be something available 1) because of Google 2) no one at BlackBerry is going to build out work around solutions for it.
    05-13-19 07:15 PM
    Google locked it out. Before, you could set it up as part of the app setup process. Now, you have to choose a color on the initial run and there is no option to change it unless you reset said app and choose another color.
    OK, so if BlackBerry can't (or won't) customize Android (can't see why it's impossible - it's a notification, no different than assigning a different sound or screen behaviour) then they should develop their own LED app with system level permissions.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:19 PM
    When apps have an option to turn blink light on and off (many still do), why can't there also be an option to specify the colour?

And secondly, if this can be done with an app on Playstore, why can't BlackBerry bake it into the OS? I would much rather have BlackBerry control this at the OS level rather than granting some third party practically every permission under the sun.
    As weird as this may seem to others here on CB, this is one of the main reasons I still use my Passport much more than my android device. I just depend/appreciate and like the way that BB10 can handle the LED and it's notifications both in colors and sounds. I just cannot duplicate this with any android app.
    gouger05 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:25 PM
    I certainly find it more than ironic Google is trying to pretend this is about privacy and permissions when by default they want to blare your notification info across your screen using AOD.

Still, I find it hard to believe more can't be done about it at the oem level.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:34 PM
    OK, so if BlackBerry can't (or won't) customize Android (can't see why it's impossible - it's a notification, no different than assigning a different sound or screen behaviour) then they should develop their own LED app with system level permissions.
    You seem to think that building their own solutions is the magic fix for all their problems but you consistently ignore that Google doesn't make any of this stuff easy. They've slowly been stripping away API's and Android access to the sorts of things needed to make this stuff work. It's not as simple as 'just build their own' solution if they wish to maintain everything else Google.
    05-13-19 07:35 PM
    You seem to think that building their own solutions is the magic fix for all their problems but you consistently ignore that Google doesn't make any of this stuff easy. They're slowly been stripping away API's and Android access to the sorts of things needed to make this stuff work. It's not as simple as 'just build their own' solution if they wish to maintain everything else Google.
    Who said it has to be easy?

Easy would be BlackBerry deleting the LED altogether. Somehow, I suspect that will be next. Too bad.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 07:37 PM
    Who said it has to be easy?

Easy would be BlackBerry deleting the LED altogether. Somehow, I suspect that will be next. Too bad.
    Doesn't have to be anything because it won't happen. Too many core level changes and they won't pass CTS anyway and if they don't pass CTS they get no access to GMS, they might as well just do what Amazon does with AOSP and make their own OS. That should work out well lol.
    05-13-19 07:41 PM
    Doesn't have to be anything because it won't happen. Too many core level changes and they won't pass CTS anyway and if they don't pass CTS they get no access to GMS, they might as well just do what Amazon does with AOSP and make their own OS. That should work out well lol.
    All that for an LED colour? Sounds like a crock to me...
    05-13-19 07:47 PM
    All that for an LED colour? Sounds like a crock to me...
    Sure, I won't argue with you. The documentation is all there.
    05-13-19 07:49 PM
    Sure, I won't argue with you. The documentation is all there.
    Not saying I don't believe you, but if this really is what Google is doing - what the heck does an LED colour have to do with practically having to fork Android? Seriously? It's no different than setting a ringtone. LOL.

Sheer stupidity!
    05-13-19 07:51 PM
    Not saying I don't believe you, but if this really is what Google is doing - what the heck does an LED colour have to do with practically having to fork Android? Seriously? It's no different than setting a ringtone. LOL.

Sheer stupidity.
    Beats me man, Google is all in on their privacy push and there's some odd 'victims' of it all.
    05-13-19 07:52 PM
    Beats me man, Google is all in on their privacy push and there's some odd 'victims' of it all.
    Yeah, and it doesn't cost Google anything to squash a few Devs and small OEM's along the way and make it look like a bloody accident...
    05-13-19 07:55 PM
    @Bla1ze are you aware that the CrackBerry forums app allow LED color customization? These settings are changeable at any time.

WhatsApp allow for the same.

For all I know, developers have a choice to either integrate their own selection (BlackBerry do so with the Inbox app) or simply bake a default color choice in their app with no user defined options.

I would much rather have all my notifications set to Red but it's impossible given some apps default otherwise with no option to change it.
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 08:14 PM
    @Bla1ze are you aware that the CrackBerry forums app allow LED color customization? These settings are changeable at any time.

For all I know, developers have a choice to either integrate their own selection (BlackBerry do so with the Inbox app) or simply bake a default color choice in their app with no user defined options.

I would much rather have all my notifications set to Red but it's impossible given some apps default otherwise with no option to change it.
    Right, which goes back to the fragmentation I mentioned. Some apps still currently have it depending on the version of Android they are running but Google has actively been making changes to how the API's work, which again, is why some apps have been pulled from the app store or no longer working. It's not something that is consistent across all apps or even versions of Android...yet. And as I noted, Inbox USED to let you change on the fly, now you have to delete and re-setup the account for a LED color change.
    05-13-19 08:20 PM

That's exactly what I was trying to explain.

Blink light can still be turned on or off. The apps that have this feature don't ask to turn it on. And somehow, the default colour is specified - for an rgb LED? What is telling the phone which colour to blink if not the OS?

It just doesn't add up...
    Crusader03 likes this.
    05-13-19 08:25 PM
    Well, I'm not a technical guy, so I won't argue what is and isn't possible. However, as a long time user of BlackBerry I can unequivocally state that the LED notification for me is number 3 on my list of why I spend my hard earned money on a BlackBerry!

1) PKB
    2) BlackBerry Security
    3) LED Notifications

I assure you, I am not alone. And I find it hard to believe BlackBerry cannot bake in a work around, easy or not, it is one of the crucial features us BlackBerry consumers covet.
    gouger05 likes this.
    05-13-19 08:26 PM
    Right, which goes back to the fragmentation I mentioned. Some apps still currently have it depending on the version of Android they are running but Google has actively been making changes to how the API's work, which again, is why some apps have been pulled from the app store or no longer working. It's not something that is consistent across all apps or even versions of Android...yet.
    Yes, agreed. Just pointing out that some apps still support it though they already target Android P like WhatsApp as an example.

The CrackBerry app target O and still support this feature.

But yes, like many other Android matters, that feature too is fragmented and it is yet to be seen what will happen with it going forward....

Standard... that's where Android is seemingly headed.

Bang on! That's exactly what I was trying to explain.

Even in Oreo, blink light can still be set on or off. The apps that have this feature don't ask to turn it on. And somehow, the default colour is specified - for an RGB LED? How does the app know what colour to display? What is telling the phone which colour to blink if not the OS?

It just doesn't add up...
    Crusader03 likes this.
    I think it's sad we could lose led altogether. I do believe it is best done in the os itself. It would be if this was Blackberry os. Android never put led on their phones so they don't see importance to anyone else. I use a third party app and it works good enough so far. Sad I cannot do separate colors for email accounts in it. All good things come to an end they say.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    05-14-19 08:22 AM