to make this as simple as possible:

1. I'm using credit, I do not have a monthly service plan with my provider
    2. I pay for internet only when I use it, I have a daily limit of 200MB
    3. I pay only for the first 5MB (40 cents), after I cross this threshold, the rest (195MB) data are free
    4. I have my data turned off most of the time when I'm at home, however I keep receiving notifications from my carrier (SMS), that I already passed the 5MB limit and am surfing now for free EVERY DAY, just an ~hour after midnight

the cellular data are turned OFF, how is my KeyOne using them at all?!?!?! I can't stop this and so I'm basically paying 40 cents just because I have this phone

this NEVER happened with any of my old phones (this is my first blackberry)

any suggestions? I have no idea what to do
    03-04-18 05:57 PM
    First smartphone too? Maybe turn on Airplane mode or go into Mobile Data and Preferred Network Type and turn on 2G only.
    03-04-18 06:01 PM
    First smartphone too? Maybe turn on Airplane mode or go into Mobile Data and Preferred Network Type and turn on 2G only.
    no, not the first smartphone...

what would airplane mode help? I'd be unavailable to everyone then, what would 2G help? the connection would be slow, that's all

I was using default settings (3G/4G) on my xperia z2 without this kind of problem
    03-04-18 06:19 PM
    It'd help save that data or try maybe IFTTT or Tasker WiFi profile to connect to any open WiFi area's. IDK you are kind of on a outdated data plan, when ppl get Gb's for free thrown at them or Unlimited data altogether. There's Google DataLLY a Data Manager try it. IFTTT is a app called If This Then That so you could program it to be if you're not connected to your home WiFi then etc so on.
    03-04-18 06:25 PM
    It'd help save that data or try maybe IFTTT or Tasker WiFi profile to connect to any open WiFi area's. IDK you are kind of on a outdated data plan, when ppl get Gb's for free thrown at them or Unlimited data altogether. There's Google DataLLY a Data Manager try it. IFTTT is a app called If This Then That so you could program it to be if you're not connected to your home WiFi then etc so on.
    I'm paying only for the first 5MB, so it would just delay the threshold by few hours max :/ yeah, in Slovakia you can't find decent provider for mobile data, but you get unlimited calls and SMS and stuff, but internet? naaaah, this is so far the best deal I found (since it's reset daily, not monthly and the price is quite low)

I know these apps, but I'm not sure they'd help really, I was home during the weekend, WiFI turned on 24/7, data and location turned off... suddenly an SMS pops up on 1AM saying that I spent the first 5MB and now am surfing for free... no idea what should I do, as this is clearly phone issue :/
    03-05-18 01:26 AM
    Can you use Dtek app to show what apps are running and what kind of connections that they are using. What does the Battery Monitor show is using the battery?
    03-05-18 09:45 AM
    Can you use Dtek app to show what apps are running and what kind of connections that they are using. What does the Battery Monitor show is using the battery?
    can you help me with the Dtek app? I never really used it and what I found is list of apps and their permissions, but the list is rather large and I can't see what kind of connections they are using

as for the battery monitor:

https://i.imgur.com/Dl32lpE.png

there's a game 'DOKDO' at the top and 'Badoo' app on the bottom of this list (30% and 2% battery usage respectively)
    03-05-18 12:51 PM
    can you help me with the Dtek app? I never really used it and what I found is list of apps and their permissions, but the list is rather large and I can't see what kind of connections they are using

as for the battery monitor:

https://i.imgur.com/Dl32lpE.png

there's a game 'DOKDO' at the top and 'Badoo' app on the bottom of this list (30% and 2% battery usage respectively)
    30% might be considered high. What does that application do? Why do you use or need it?

Can you turn down the brightness of your screen and still use the phone reasonably well? If so, lower the brightness. But if your activities need lots of screen time, you might not be able to reduce its battery use.

Open Dtek and allow it to settle. Then you can look at Apps and Permissions (the first item under the graphic on mine). You can look at the various apps and yes, there can be quite a large list. But you can peek at each one to get an idea of what they are doing. Or you can Tap on the Right Permission Column and then look by the type of permission that they use. You might find some apps using your location more than you want.

While there is no direct link to Data Usage, the various permissions might show you very active apps.

I thought there was more info on Data Usage and maybe someone else knows how to view it.
    03-05-18 01:53 PM
    30% might be considered high. What does that application do? Why do you use or need it?

Can you turn down the brightness of your screen and still use the phone reasonably well? If so, lower the brightness. But if your activities need lots of screen time, you might not be able to reduce its battery use.

Open Dtek and allow it to settle. Then you can look at Apps and Permissions (the first item under the graphic on mine). You can look at the various apps and yes, there can be quite a large list. But you can peek at each one to get an idea of what they are doing. Or you can Tap on the Right Permission Column and then look by the type of permission that they use. You might find some apps using your location more than you want.

While there is no direct link to Data Usage, the various permissions might show you very active apps.

I thought there was more info on Data Usage and maybe someone else knows how to view it.
    the DOKDO is a game I'm playing when bored, the game is one of those "start and wait" games where you farm stuff, so it's sitting next to my laptop when I'm working, that's why it's usage is so high, I just downloaded it this weekend because of boredom

I'm using adaptive brightness and have no issue with how the phone handles it, other than battery drain I suppose it's not doing anything else, which is not an issue for me, as the only issue I'd like to fix is the data usage when the data are turned off

I tried to turn off data AND location yesterday, yet still got the SMS notification about crossing over the 5MB threshold

now, I don't really know what I'm supposed to look at in the Dtek and apps, there's no permission for the internet, only calendar, camera, contacts, location, microphone, phone and SMS, none of those should use my data, right?

the most used permission is most likely the location (or at least it looks like it is, I didn't really count it), which - as mentioned above - I tried turning off along with mobile data to see whether the location is affecting the data usage somehow, but I still somehow used 5+ MB with everything turned off...

the only option I currently see is to try and remove every application I've downloaded to see if any of those is affecting the data usage, or if there's something with the standard phone applications itself

edit: i've found this app, which can be set to daily limits, this should show me what app is using the data https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia.android.mdm

I will report with the result in few hours
    Last edited by 1337SEnergy; 03-05-18 at 02:28 PM.
    03-05-18 02:16 PM
    Maybe try AiO ToolBox and go in and change or remove things from startup and then see if anything changes, especially remove things that you know for a fact use data. I say AiO ToolBox cause it has no nasty reports of selling users data to the Chinese and has no bad or very lil bad reviews.
    03-05-18 02:20 PM
    the DOKDO is a game I'm playing when bored, the game is one of those "start and wait" games where you farm stuff, so it's sitting next to my laptop when I'm working, that's why it's usage is so high, I just downloaded it this weekend because of boredom

I'm using adaptive brightness and have no issue with how the phone handles it, other than battery drain I suppose it's not doing anything else, which is not an issue for me, as the only issue I'd like to fix is the data usage when the data are turned off

I tried to turn off data AND location yesterday, yet still got the SMS notification about crossing over the 5MB threshold

now, I don't really know what I'm supposed to look at in the Dtek and apps, there's no permission for the internet, only calendar, camera, contacts, location, microphone, phone and SMS, none of those should use my data, right?

the most used permission is most likely the location (or at least it looks like it is, I didn't really count it), which - as mentioned above - I tried turning off along with mobile data to see whether the location is affecting the data usage somehow, but I still somehow used 5+ MB with everything turned off...

the only option I currently see is to try and remove every application I've downloaded to see if any of those is affecting the data usage, or if there's something with the standard phone applications itself

edit: i've found this app, which can be set to daily limits, this should show me what app is using the data https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ia.android.mdm

I will report with the result in few hours
    Well, the tedious way is Main Settings, Apps,

Then tap on each app and show Data Use. Tap on that and change/toggle the settings.

You might not need to tap each app, but start with apps that you suspect might be using Data and see what's happening.

You might also investigate the other suggestion that was just posted, too.

As for that new game, temporarily DISable it and see how things go. Or UNinstall it for a day or two and see how things go. Reinstall if you don't suspect it was the problem.

Debugging or trial and error can be tedious but also sometimes interesting.
    03-05-18 02:36 PM
    Well, the tedious way is Main Settings, Apps,

Then tap on each app and show Data Use. Tap on that and change/toggle the settings.

You might not need to tap each app, but start with apps that you suspect might be using Data and see what's happening.

You might also investigate the other suggestion that was just posted, too.

As for that new game, temporarily DISable it and see how things go. Or UNinstall it for a day or two and see how things go. Reinstall if you don't suspect it was the problem.

Debugging or trial and error can be tedious but also sometimes interesting.
    the problem is that it's has been happening since I got the phone, so I assume the game is not an issue, but there's something definitely sketchy, as I see no possible way for an app to use my data when they are TURNED OFF, this seems like a security breach to me honestly

I will try the app that monitors data on a daily basis I posted link to, if that won't give me an answer I'll try the suggestion by n1nj4lo, hopefully I'll get some more information about this issue in the next day

I will report soon

thanks for the help to the both of you!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-18 02:41 PM
    I think it might be just Android in General is a Data Hog

It'll randomly wakeup use data to draw in any new notifications feeds and what not

I believe hypothetically speaking

It isn't a hibernative OS

It's a stream-fed OS

Socialable
    03-05-18 02:55 PM
    the problem is that it's has been happening since I got the phone, so I assume the game is not an issue, but there's something definitely sketchy, as I see no possible way for an app to use my data when they are TURNED OFF, this seems like a security breach to me honestly

I will try the app that monitors data on a daily basis I posted link to, if that won't give me an answer I'll try the suggestion by n1nj4lo, hopefully I'll get some more information about this issue in the next day

I will report soon

thanks for the help to the both of you!

Can you confirm you only have the applications closed, and that you still have your wireless 3G/4G turned on?

If this is the case, then absolutely the applications will still use data when closed.

Even the Google Clock and Calculator applications use data. (They talk back to google analytics)

I recommend you use Netguard. You can buy it from Google Play. It will show you every connection your phone is making - not just which application - but every server that application is talking with, and how much data its sending/receiving.

You can also block those individual connections based on Wifi, 3G, or both.
    03-05-18 03:01 PM
    Can you confirm you only have the applications closed, and that you still have your wireless 3G/4G turned on?

If this is the case, then absolutely the applications will still use data when closed.

Even the Google Clock and Calculator applications use data. (They talk back to google analytics)

I recommend you use Netguard. You can buy it from Google Play. It will show you every connection your phone is making - not just which application - but every server that application is talking with, and how much data its sending/receiving.

You can also block those individual connections based on Wifi, 3G, or both.
    what do you mean by 'only closed'? I tend to always close the apps completely (from the app menu, no idea how it's called) after I'm done using them, so there should be nothing I can actually close running in background
    03-05-18 03:19 PM
    Do you have Diagnostics turned on like mine or off?

On then that might be the culprit, off then ya might need to dig deeper into finding out what's the app that is sending and using your data.
    03-05-18 03:22 PM
    what do you mean by 'only closed'? I tend to always close the apps completely (from the app menu, no idea how it's called) after I'm done using them, so there should be nothing I can actually close running in background
    By "only closed" I mean the app is cleared off of the "recents screen" (square button).

If you Stop the app under settings -> Apps then it will properly shut the app down, but that doesn't mean it wont restart itself in the background (usually only the case for system apps).

The only way to monitor and control application data is with a Firewall application like Netguard. It's open source and the author regularly updates it.

Once you install it, you will instantly realize just how much data is used on your phone by apps you never would have expected.

Google Play Store / Services on its own, sitting there doing nothing will tend to use about 5-10 mb per day just talking back and forth with Google.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-18 03:35 PM
    By "only closed" I mean the app is cleared off of the "recents screen" (square button).

If you Stop the app under settings -> Apps then it will properly shut the app down, but that doesn't mean it wont restart itself in the background (usually only the case for system apps).

The only way to monitor and control application data is with a Firewall application like Netguard. It's open source and the author regularly updates it.

Once you install it, you will instantly realize just how much data is used on your phone by apps you never would have expected.

Google Play Store / Services on its own, sitting there doing nothing will tend to use about 5-10 mb per day just talking back and forth with Google.
    I realize that the apps use data even when they are not being used by me, what bugs me is that WHY they use data that are not enabled AT ALL? I'm talking about the "Mobile Data" option in the settings or the notification bar being turned off - when I open the browser, I get an error that I'm not connected to the internet, yet SOMEHOW the phone uses the first 5MB in an hour every day (again, this never happened on my xperia z2, it started to happen on keyone)

I'm waiting for midnight and going to monitor the app that I downloaded (linked above), hopefully I'll get more information about what's causing this
    03-05-18 04:16 PM
    From a privacy standpoint, I would consider not using that application (My Data Manager).

Privacy policy – My Data Manager

It's basically spyware.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-18 04:39 PM
    From a privacy standpoint, I would consider not using that application (My Data Manager).

Privacy policy – My Data Manager

It's basically spyware.
    not only that, it reported 0.0MB and yet I've received the SMS notification from my provider... when I tried it with data on, it actually handled it just fine... I guess I'll have to visit my provider then

edit: I'll give also this app a try https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sswire.android

in the privacy policy they state that they don't sell nor collect any information, so it should be better than the previous one... if this one reports 0MB after midnight and I'll get the SMS notification, I'll visit my provider...

thanks everyone for the help!
    03-05-18 06:03 PM
    Second time suggesting it: https://datally.google.com, can't go wrong with google!
    1337SEnergy likes this.
    03-05-18 11:10 PM
    Hi, it's not important if this guy has prepaid service or a flat plan or what apps is he using. Once mobile data are turned off, it's absolutely unacceptable that it consumes single byte via mobile data connection. Imagine you are on short trip to Russia, you have data restricted and then you realize, that K1 spent several kBs. Please keep us posted with the result. Thanks.
    04-21-18 12:40 PM
    I would love an update as I am having the same issue! Thank you
    09-23-19 09:09 AM