5 eyes land? 'Splain me that, Lucy.
    05-29-20 12:38 PM
    5 eyes land? 'Splain me that, Lucy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_surveillance

The "Five Eyes" (FVEY) refers to an alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries are bound by the multilateral UKUSA Agreement for joint cooperation in signals intelligence, military intelligence, and human intelligence. In recent years, documents of the FVEY have shown that they are intentionally spying on one another's citizens and sharing the collected information with each other in order to circumvent restrictive domestic regulations on spying
    05-29-20 01:22 PM
    Hello
    Am reading what you did to remove Google. Have done this on Key2 LE but am not savvy in the subject. All is going fine except when I try to send pictures in sms. It will nto work unless I activate permissions on everything including Microphone & Body sensors "" ?
    As for updates, well, I guess I did not think of this. Absolutely hate the fact Google is connecting everything I wish to use. Had Blackberry phones for 15 years plus and never had to deal with this and if I can figure it out, will dish the phone and get something else (Huawei P40, Librem, etc). have to look into this. But did you have this problem while removing Google ? Thanks
    09-07-20 11:25 AM
    Hello
    Am reading what you did to remove Google. Have done this on Key2 LE but am not savvy in the subject. All is going fine except when I try to send pictures in sms. It will nto work unless I activate permissions on everything including Microphone & Body sensors "" ?
    As for updates, well, I guess I did not think of this. Absolutely hate the fact Google is connecting everything I wish to use. Had Blackberry phones for 15 years plus and never had to deal with this and if I can figure it out, will dish the phone and get something else (Huawei P40, Librem, etc). have to look into this. But did you have this problem while removing Google ? Thanks
    Hi coroz,
    If you are using the default Android Messages app, then I suspect that is the source of the problem regarding your SMS issues.

I recommend you try a 3rd party SMS application like Signal or Silence and disable Android Messages.

If your apps are running without Google Play Services enabled, but a pop-up appears asking you to enable Google Play Services, just ignore it. You can permanently turn off those Google Play Services notifications for each application as required when they appear in the notification tray by doing a "half" swipe on the notification to reveal the application's notification settings.

Then you can turn off Google Play Services notifications. You can also do this via device notification settings directly.
    09-08-20 07:38 PM
    Thanks so much for all of this. Will try it
    09-09-20 05:42 AM
    Hi coroz,
    If you are using the default Android Messages app, then I suspect that is the source of the problem regarding your SMS issues.

I recommend you try a 3rd party SMS application like Signal or Silence and disable Android Messages.

If your apps are running without Google Play Services enabled, but a pop-up appears asking you to enable Google Play Services, just ignore it. You can permanently turn off those Google Play Services notifications for each application as required when they appear in the notification tray by doing a "half" swipe on the notification to reveal the application's notification settings.

Then you can turn off Google Play Services notifications. You can also do this via device notification settings directly.
    Hey chetmanley hope all is well....
    09-09-20 09:32 AM
    Since I live in 5 eyes land, I'm OK with that

Posted via CB10
    Really??? Interesting. Very interesting.
    09-09-20 10:11 AM
    Really??? Interesting. Very interesting.
    That I live in 5 eyes land or that I'm not concerned about Google Play Store and the 5 eyes?
    09-09-20 11:10 AM
    That I live in 5 eyes land or that I'm not concerned about Google Play Store and the 5 eyes?
    The latter.
    09-09-20 12:03 PM
    The latter.
    Well I don't worry about Google Play Store and whatever information gets shared. As humans, we're over sharing information about ourselves to strangers well beyond our electronic footprints. The clothes worn, automobiles driven, structures lived in.

You'd really be shocked at what I can learn about you from you with social engineering face to face.
    09-09-20 12:09 PM
    That only works for the United States of America. All the other eyes are being spied on by the USA
    09-09-20 03:05 PM
    That only works for the United States of America. All the other eyes are being spied on by the USA
    I spy with the master’s eye....
    ppeters914 likes this.
    09-09-20 04:42 PM
    09-09-20 07:34 PM
    Hey chetmanley hope all is well....
    Hey Chuck, all's good in general and looking forward to learning how the new BB will handle security and what freedoms we'll have with controlling the software on it.
    09-09-20 10:38 PM
    Hey Chuck, all's good in general and looking forward to learning how the new BB will handle security and what freedoms we'll have with controlling the software on it.
    That’s good to hear. Do you think Android One instead of BBAndroid this go around?
    09-10-20 01:42 PM
    That’s good to hear. Do you think Android One instead of BBAndroid this go around?
    I hope not. If I can't disable (ideally uninstall) Google Play I will probably not buy it and will go with something else or stick with my Key2. From what I understand Androidone security updates are delivered through Google Play? So that's a show stopper for me.
    09-10-20 08:22 PM
    I hope not. If I can't disable (ideally uninstall) Google Play I will probably not buy it and will go with something else or stick with my Key2. From what I understand Androidone security updates are delivered through Google Play? So that's a show stopper for me.
    With the Key2, did you disable as I’m assuming GPS isn’t uninstall capable?
    09-11-20 11:15 AM
    With the Key2, did you disable as I’m assuming GPS isn’t uninstall capable?
    That's right, same with the Keyone. The Priv's version of BB Android on the other hand allows for system apps to uninstalled using ADB, but only for a given user profile - it can't be fully removed from the system.
    Chuck Finley69 likes this.
    09-12-20 11:30 AM
    That's right, same with the Keyone. The Priv's version of BB Android on the other hand allows for system apps to uninstalled using ADB, but only for a given user profile - it can't be fully removed from the system.
    So for your preferences, how do wish Android to be offered that still allows full ecosystem?

ie which current OEM gets it close to perfect?
    09-12-20 11:47 AM
    @Chuck Finley69
    Based on the other brands I've tested in store by installing Netguard and digging through the bloatware to see what connections are made and what can be disabled, I still believe that BB's version of android is one of the cleanest on the market.

Sony, Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, Moto.... they all have system app bloatware which contain trackers to social media and 3rd party data collection companies.

BB Android on the other hand - in particular with the Priv, has virtually zero bloatware (outside of the Google ecosystem present on all android phones).

The Priv had none that I recall (although some data is transmitted to Qualcomm during almanac updates with every Qualcomm based device).

The Keyone and Key2 had the addition of connections to TCL, but based on my observations, those are mainly for polling for updates. That said, I still blocked them all.

On the Key series, on first boot after a factory reset, an internet connection is required to get through the device setup. This was extremely disappointing because the Priv does not have that requirement, nor do a number of other Android brands (Sony in particular does not need internet to boot a fresh device). The implication here is that no matter what you do with the device after with respect to bloatware or firewall installs/vpn/tor etc, because internet is required during setup, then it's impossible to prevent Google from gobbling up data on your device.

Unfortunately, the first instance of tracker-loaded bloatware on a BB came with the Key2 update that introduced Dual Apps.

I found that this app communicated with a number of 3rd parties, including facebook and Google. However a later update seemed to have reduced or even removed those connections because I stopped seeing them.
    Again, to be safe, I used ADB to disable Dual Apps regardless.

What I want from the new device is another BB Android OS (which is still hardened against compromise by companies like Celebrite - as least with publicly available knowledge).

It can have all the Google Stuff from the factory to appeal to the majority of the user base, but I do not want to see any spyware trackers on that device coming from bloatware that cannot be uninstalled.

Ideally, I'd like to be able have full control on the uninstall of all system applications.
    elfabio80, gouger05 and bh7171 like this.
    09-12-20 12:07 PM
    @Chuck Finley69
    Based on the other brands I've tested in store by installing Netguard and digging through the bloatware to see what connections are made and what can be disabled, I still believe that BB's version of android is one of the cleanest on the market.

Sony, Nokia, Huawei, Samsung, Moto.... they all have system app bloatware which contain trackers to social media and 3rd party data collection companies.

BB Android on the other hand - in particular with the Priv, has virtually zero bloatware (outside of the Google ecosystem present on all android phones).

The Priv had none that I recall (although some data is transmitted to Qualcomm during almanac updates with every Qualcomm based device).

The Keyone and Key2 had the addition of connections to TCL, but based on my observations, those are mainly for polling for updates. That said, I still blocked them all.

On the Key series, on first boot after a factory reset, an internet connection is required to get through the device setup. This was extremely disappointing because the Priv does not have that requirement, nor do a number of other Android brands (Sony in particular does not need internet to boot a fresh device). The implication here is that no matter what you do with the device after with respect to bloatware or firewall installs/vpn/tor etc, because internet is required during setup, then it's impossible to prevent Google from gobbling up data on your device.

Unfortunately, the first instance of tracker-loaded bloatware on a BB came with the Key2 update that introduced Dual Apps.

I found that this app communicated with a number of 3rd parties, including facebook and Google. However a later update seemed to have reduced or even removed those connections because I stopped seeing them.
    Again, to be safe, I used ADB to disable Dual Apps regardless.

What I want from the new device is another BB Android OS (which is still hardened against compromise by companies like Celebrite - as least with publicly available knowledge).

It can have all the Google Stuff from the factory to appeal to the majority of the user base, but I do not want to see any spyware trackers on that device coming from bloatware that cannot be uninstalled.

Ideally, I'd like to be able have full control on the uninstall of all system applications.
    Whew... I would have replied sooner but had to sit down for a minute and rest. LOL :-D

So BBAndroid was and is pretty good for you too. Other than OS lagging one version behind, I liked it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we'll see it again. I'm thinking it needs too big userbase to support.
    09-12-20 01:10 PM
    Whew... I would have replied sooner but had to sit down for a minute and rest. LOL :-D

So BBAndroid was and is pretty good for you too. Other than OS lagging one version behind, I liked it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if we'll see it again. I'm thinking it needs too big userbase to support.
    Yeah, looking forward to seeing how the new device deals with these points. Based on the description discussed so far with the CEO, they are genuinely concerned with device security so I hope that means it won't just be a keyboard phone loaded with AndroidOne and they call it a day.
    09-12-20 02:03 PM
    Yeah, looking forward to seeing how the new device deals with these points. Based on the description discussed so far with the CEO, they are genuinely concerned with device security so I hope that means it won't just be a keyboard phone loaded with AndroidOne and they call it a day.
    Unfortunately that's exactly what I've been thinking would happen for economic viability purposes. I'm thinking enterprise throws on the latest BB UEM and consumer throws on BB Cylance and pays $10/month or whatever through carrier. Someway to get BB recurring monthly revenue along with OEM and carrier receiving a cut too.

A redux of the old days. I think everyone guesses I'm crazy with that model... LOL
    09-12-20 02:17 PM
    What do you do to quiet Windows 10 telemetry?
    09-14-20 01:16 PM
    What do you do to quiet Windows 10 telemetry?
    Well, @chetmanley probably incorporates a Faraday Cage for starters.

But seriously, if you found out, your family may have to report you missing.
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-14-20 05:44 PM
240 ... 78910