09-15-20 03:21 AM
231 ... 8910
tools
    Well, @chetmanley probably incorporates a Faraday Cage for starters.

But seriously, if you found out, your family may have to report you missing.

I no longer use Windows and have switched to Linux on my machines because of the telemetry concerns with Windows 10 - which can be reduced but not stopped entirely from what I've read.
    09-14-20 07:55 PM

I no longer use Windows and have switched to Linux on my machines because of the telemetry concerns with Windows 10 - which can be reduced but not stopped entirely from what I've read.
    So all joking aside, remember I’m no IT guy, Linux machine therefore has no telemetry concerns with similar party like with Apple, Google and Microsoft in their admittedly known policies?
    09-14-20 09:12 PM
    I would like to see BlackBerry allow BBMe to be paid for and used outside of the Google PS. I created a new BBID on the BlackBerry website about 9 months ago so that I'd be able to use BBMe on my LE. Everything went fine, and I even downloaded and installed the software. But since I never signed on to my LE with a Google account (thank you, chetmanley, your advice and instructions were invaluable!), and then I disabled the PS, I'm unable to log into or pay for the BBMe software sitting on my phone.

If BlackBerry is going to dump all the legacy BBIDs and PINs, it seems they could provide a way for us to use and pay for BBMe so that we can stay with our groups without needing a Google account too.
    Yeah, looking forward to seeing how the new device deals with these points. Based on the description discussed so far with the CEO, they are genuinely concerned with device security so I hope that means it won't just be a keyboard phone loaded with AndroidOne and they call it a day.
    09-15-20 12:08 AM
    So all joking aside, remember I’m no IT guy, Linux machine therefore has no telemetry concerns with similar party like with Apple, Google and Microsoft in their admittedly known policies?
    That's correct. Each distribution of Linux may vary in its default connections, but by and large they only connect to two things in the background - a time sync server (if the user enables it) and a server to check for software updates.
    09-15-20 12:14 AM
    I would like to see BlackBerry allow BBMe to be paid for and used outside of the Google PS. I created a new BBID on the BlackBerry website about 9 months ago so that I'd be able to use BBMe on my LE. Everything went fine, and I even downloaded and installed the software. But since I never signed on to my LE with a Google account (thank you, chetmanley, your advice and instructions were invaluable!), and then I disabled the PS, I'm unable to log into or pay for the BBMe software sitting on my phone.

If BlackBerry is going to dump all the legacy BBIDs and PINs, it seems they could provide a way for us to use and pay for BBMe so that we can stay with our groups without needing a Google account too.
    I'm using BBMe without Google Play Services, but it needs to be purchased directly from Blackberry through one of their sales reps. Unfortunately this means paying full price (on the order of 40US / year) but on the plus side, it gives the full verion of BBMe with additional controls via a web based control panel.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    09-15-20 12:16 AM

https://pca.st/episode/e5c60d9a-ca7c...b-96a55226e421 Michael Bazzell OSINT podcast gives some hands here to minimise W10 telemetry. Also useful on a company laptop.

Also prefer Linux here.
    chetmanley likes this.
    09-15-20 03:21 AM
231 ... 8910