Well, @chetmanley probably incorporates a Faraday Cage for starters.

But seriously, if you found out, your family may have to report you missing.

I no longer use Windows and have switched to Linux on my machines because of the telemetry concerns with Windows 10 - which can be reduced but not stopped entirely from what I've read.
    gouger05 likes this.
    09-14-20 07:55 PM

I no longer use Windows and have switched to Linux on my machines because of the telemetry concerns with Windows 10 - which can be reduced but not stopped entirely from what I've read.
    So all joking aside, remember I’m no IT guy, Linux machine therefore has no telemetry concerns with similar party like with Apple, Google and Microsoft in their admittedly known policies?
    09-14-20 09:12 PM
    I would like to see BlackBerry allow BBMe to be paid for and used outside of the Google PS. I created a new BBID on the BlackBerry website about 9 months ago so that I'd be able to use BBMe on my LE. Everything went fine, and I even downloaded and installed the software. But since I never signed on to my LE with a Google account (thank you, chetmanley, your advice and instructions were invaluable!), and then I disabled the PS, I'm unable to log into or pay for the BBMe software sitting on my phone.

If BlackBerry is going to dump all the legacy BBIDs and PINs, it seems they could provide a way for us to use and pay for BBMe so that we can stay with our groups without needing a Google account too.
    Yeah, looking forward to seeing how the new device deals with these points. Based on the description discussed so far with the CEO, they are genuinely concerned with device security so I hope that means it won't just be a keyboard phone loaded with AndroidOne and they call it a day.
    09-15-20 12:08 AM
    So all joking aside, remember I’m no IT guy, Linux machine therefore has no telemetry concerns with similar party like with Apple, Google and Microsoft in their admittedly known policies?
    That's correct. Each distribution of Linux may vary in its default connections, but by and large they only connect to two things in the background - a time sync server (if the user enables it) and a server to check for software updates.
    09-15-20 12:14 AM
    I would like to see BlackBerry allow BBMe to be paid for and used outside of the Google PS. I created a new BBID on the BlackBerry website about 9 months ago so that I'd be able to use BBMe on my LE. Everything went fine, and I even downloaded and installed the software. But since I never signed on to my LE with a Google account (thank you, chetmanley, your advice and instructions were invaluable!), and then I disabled the PS, I'm unable to log into or pay for the BBMe software sitting on my phone.

If BlackBerry is going to dump all the legacy BBIDs and PINs, it seems they could provide a way for us to use and pay for BBMe so that we can stay with our groups without needing a Google account too.
    I'm using BBMe without Google Play Services, but it needs to be purchased directly from Blackberry through one of their sales reps. Unfortunately this means paying full price (on the order of 40US / year) but on the plus side, it gives the full verion of BBMe with additional controls via a web based control panel.
    bbfanfan likes this.
    09-15-20 12:16 AM

https://pca.st/episode/e5c60d9a-ca7c...b-96a55226e421 Michael Bazzell OSINT podcast gives some hands here to minimise W10 telemetry. Also useful on a company laptop.

Also prefer Linux here.
    chetmanley likes this.
    09-15-20 03:21 AM
    Thank you, @chetmanley! I had a feeling you might have found a way! Does it include updates too? Are you permitted to tell us how to contact the sales rep who sold it to you? Or feel free to PM me, if not. Oh, one last question, will one payment let you install it on more than one device if you're using the same BBID each time?

I'm using BBMe without Google Play Services, but it needs to be purchased directly from Blackberry through one of their sales reps. Unfortunately this means paying full price (on the order of 40US / year) but on the plus side, it gives the full verion of BBMe with additional controls via a web based control panel.

Posted with my Classic, SQC100-3/10.3.3.3204
    09-18-20 08:03 PM
    What do you do to quiet Windows 10 telemetry?
    "Shut Up 10". Look it up.

Posted via CB10
    gouger05 likes this.
    09-18-20 09:14 PM
    Thank you, @chetmanley! I had a feeling you might have found a way! Does it include updates too? Are you permitted to tell us how to contact the sales rep who sold it to you? Or feel free to PM me, if not. Oh, one last question, will one payment let you install it on more than one device if you're using the same BBID each time?

Hi Ragbert,

The only difference is that the license is purchased directly from BB rather than via the Play Store, but all of the updates still come from Google Play or Aurora.

About 4 years ago, BBM Enterprise could be purchased online via the website, but they got rid of their online store and went with sales reps. You should be able to request an Enterprise (vice personal Google Play License) from BB using the contact form link found on their BBMe page.

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...prise#purchase

They will email you an invoice with a link to pay online via credit card. From there, you will need to activate your BBID via a link to the admin portal they will provide.

I suspect you will need to make a new BBID for the Enterprise License. I recall reading that an existing BBID made via the Google Play License is not transferable, but can always try.

Regarding more than one email on the license, yes that should still be possible. Multiple BBIDs can be added to your account via the IDP Console (so you could add a few friends or family for example), but you can also use your one BBID on up to 5 devices.

If BB doesn't get back to you via the contact form, PM me and I can try and dig up a sales rep I used to deal with a few years ago.

Cheers
    09-18-20 10:31 PM
    Thanks! I have Aurora installed but have not used it for this. Also when I signed up for my 2nd BBID, I did it directly on the BlackBerry website, not through Aurora or Google. I've never used Google to sign up for any software on my LE. I downloaded the BBMe software from the BlackBerry site as well. So I think the BBID should be ok. I'll let you know how things go, re paying for it, that was the only sticking point.

Hi Ragbert,

The only difference is that the license is purchased directly from BB rather than via the Play Store, but all of the updates still come from Google Play or Aurora.

About 4 years ago, BBM Enterprise could be purchased online via the website, but they got rid of their online store and went with sales reps. You should be able to request an Enterprise (vice personal Google Play License) from BB using the contact form link found on their BBMe page.

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...prise#purchase

They will email you an invoice with a link to pay online via credit card. From there, you will need to activate your BBID via a link to the admin portal they will provide.

I suspect you will need to make a new BBID for the Enterprise License. I recall reading that an existing BBID made via the Google Play License is not transferable, but can always try.

Regarding more than one email on the license, yes that should still be possible. Multiple BBIDs can be added to your account via the IDP Console (so you could add a few friends or family for example), but you can also use your one BBID on up to 5 devices.

If BB doesn't get back to you via the contact form, PM me and I can try and dig up a sales rep I used to deal with a few years ago.

Cheers

09-19-20 04:44 PM
    Oooh this looks useful - thanks, I downloaded it.

"Shut Up 10". Look it up.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-19-20 04:53 PM

What I want from the new device is another BB Android OS (which is still hardened against compromise by companies like Celebrite - as least with publicly available knowledge).

It can have all the Google Stuff from the factory to appeal to the majority of the user base, but I do not want to see any spyware trackers on that device coming from bloatware that cannot be uninstalled.

Ideally, I'd like to be able have full control on the uninstall of all system applications.
    This! Yes! Exactly! Is this kind of privacy and security not desirable to enterprise?
    12-27-20 09:12 PM
    This! Yes! Exactly! Is this kind of privacy and security not desirable to enterprise?
    I’ll let @chetmanley speak to all technical aspects but from Enterprise aspects, Enterprise still wants complete Google Play Store compatibility since GPS does function as outsourced repository for many apps in the ecosystem for running Enterprises such as Slack or Salesforce to bring up two.

It’s a fine line between security, privacy and usability...
    12-27-20 10:02 PM

O&O software isn't magic, it's just using some of those same Domain Active Directory "controls" that enterprise users already have access to and put them is a more consumer like package.

But unlike with the domain settings that are enforced continually.... O&O has to be reran after major updates to Windows 10. As Microsoft likes to reset many of these....
    12-28-20 09:54 AM
    O&O software isn't magic, it's just using some of those same Domain Active Directory "controls" that enterprise users already have access to and put them is a more consumer like package.

But unlike with the domain settings that are enforced continually.... O&O has to be reran after major updates to Windows 10. As Microsoft likes to reset many of these....
    O&O?
    12-28-20 01:11 PM
240 ... 8910