Is there any guide of steps to follow to ungoogle a Blackberry KEYONE on the right and best way?

Cheers.
    That’s what this entire thread is since you cannot truly and completely degoogle Android everything.

If you truly want to avoid Google/Android, the solution is called Apple/iOS for all intents and purposes.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-09-19 10:50 AM
    I see. Well wait I wanna is to stop using google services, in other Android devices is enough with installing Lineage OS.
    On the BB I tried to only use the gmail account for the contacts on HUB+ and seems that everything and Apps is now linked again woth my G account.
    12-09-19 11:33 AM
    I see. Well wait I wanna is to stop using google services, in other Android devices is enough with installing Lineage OS.
    On the BB I tried to only use the gmail account for the contacts on HUB+ and seems that everything and Apps is now linked again woth my G account.
    Unfortunately, that’s a BBAndroid limitation. Log out from everything and reset your settings...
    12-09-19 12:42 PM
    That’s what this entire thread is since you cannot truly and completely degoogle Android everything.
    Not having a Google account on the device and not using any of Google's apps is essentially de-Googling an Android phone.
    12-09-19 01:33 PM
    Not having a Google account on the device and not using any of Google's apps is essentially de-Googling an Android phone.
    Not my circus or monkeys but @chetmanley is better able to confirm

I’m not even using my KEYones until I know more about the new malware issue
    12-09-19 01:55 PM

I’m not even using my KEYones until I know more about the new malware issue
    Apparently the issue doesn't affect Android 6 and below.

Watch prices skyrocket for BlackBerry Priv's...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-09-19 10:12 PM
    Is there any guide of steps to follow to ungoogle a Blackberry KEYONE on the right and best way?

Cheers.
    Hi,

In addition to the discussion in this thread like @Chuck Finley69 mentioned, you might get more help from this post:

https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13446557

That is a basic summary of what I recommend doing to an android phone which can't be rooted like ours.

Regarding the Standhogg vulnerability, I imagine a good protection against that is to use Netguard. When netguard is configured properly, it will automatically block internet connections for all newly installed applications until directly told to do otherwise by the user. It also records all connection attempts from those blocked apps.

This would potentially give a user with a compromised device a chance to detect the spyware connecting to the attacker.

I'm a big fan of netguard for this reason.

Regarding "de-googling" the phone. Like @the_boon suggested, once the default apps are all disabled and a firewall is used then you can indeed stop almost all google tracking.

I say "almost all" because while its possible to kill this on the system level, it's challenging to catch all of the tracking that occurs in all applications added by the user after the fact. A firewall like netguard is required to stop this tracking, but even then, a couple connections might squeak through from time to time, especially if the trackers are using the same generic AWS or cloudfare servers as genuine services - this means that blocking one will block the other and might break the app.

Cheers
    Last edited by chetmanley; 12-09-19 at 10:57 PM.
    12-09-19 10:44 PM

Ummm....
    12-09-19 10:45 PM
    Hello,

I decided to remove Google Play Services from my Keyone. I've been digging through the OS settings the past week and was not comfortable with all the analytics running under the hood. So I experimented on my Priv first to see if it would perform similarly to BB10 (sans GPS) or if it would throw up so many issues and warnings that it wouldn't work.

To my excitement, the Priv still worked with the following caveats:

-Google Maps and Google Pictures generate a notification each time they are started stating they wont run without GPS (they run fine, and that notification can be blocked). I tried patching both of them like BB10, but because they are system apps, I can't install over them.

On the plus side, Google pictures looks so much cleaner now since the menu has simplifed having no Google Drive or sharing or backup or what have you. Its now simply a picture viewer.

-Blackberry Password Keeper wont start without GPS and needs to be patched (BB10 Cobalt Style). On the Priv I couldn't install the patched version because Password keeper is a system app, but it wasn't a problem on the Keyone because you can completely uninstall PK and install the patched version.

-Signal doesn't work. I tried a patched version but it simply can't contact its server without GPS
    Update: Signal now works fine without Google Play Services.

-Threema works like on BB10 with Polling switched on.

-Obviously no Google play store. It won't even start.

So in summary, it's basically BB10. So I'm back to getting my APKs from other sources, patching them as required, and side loading them.

The Benefits:

BATTERY LIFE!!!! Before I killed the google, my new Keyone was averaging 40 hours of battery life which is already fantastic with about 6-7 hours of screen on time. But since killing GPS, I haven't charged my phone in 25 hours and it still has 40 hours of life left at its current rate!! So almost 3 days of battery available That's with a VPN connected 24/7 also, Cellular and Wifi radios on, battery saving mode off.

NO MORE GOOGLE SPYWARE - nuf said

I'm testing another Map application called Here. It provides offline maps and it has dramatically fewer permission requests than Google Maps.

Lucky Patcher

http://lucky-patcher.en.uptodown.com/android

In addition, while researching all of this, I discovered an app called Lucky Patcher. This app is amazing because it allows you to disable application permissions, including those ones you can't control manually in app settings. Stuff like network connections, google ads, Blackberry Telemetry, vibration and NFC control can all be tweaked with this app.

So not only have I disabled google from my phone, I've managed to patch my favorite apps so they no longer contact google or facebook ad servers, or BB Telemetry in the background. This took some trial and error with some apps because it would cause some to crash depending on what was disabled.

Just wanted to share because I'm sure there are other tinfoil hat wearing BB users out there who are weary of making the switch to Android. But I found a way to make this phone as private as possible. It's essentially a Passport now, but it has Android 7.1 rather than 4.3.

Cheers

EDIT: Updates from rest of thread to save some reading.

In place of Signal, you can download Noise from the Copperhead repository on F-Droid.
    Update: Noise is no more - Signal can now be used without Google Play Services like Noise.

In place of the Google Play Store, you can install Yalp (also from F-Droid).

Update regarding Yalp Store: Recently more and more applications are coming from Google Play as split apks (ie, one app is made up of multiple apks). Without root access, Yalp has no way to install these split apps.

Fortunately there is an app called SAI (Split APK installer) available from here:
    https://github.com/Aefyr/SAI/releases
    Update: It's now available on google play / yalp also

Once you download the app from Yalp, it will warn you if it's split and therefore can't be installed. Just install it using SAI by selecting each of the spilit apk parts which were downloaded by Yalp.
    I was having a terrible battery drain on my Key2 due to some issue which I always believed to be an issue related to the one of the Google app.

I tried running a autoloader using wipe option but that didn't help. I used to get around 3 hours of screen on time. I was struggling with this issue for all these months.

And then I have seen this thread. I didn't realise that we can actually disable Google play service as disable option was never appeared for me before. After seeing this thread, I realised we need to delete our Google account first. After deleting Google account, I could actually disable all the Google apps including Google framework. So, I have deleted every trace of Google apps.

To my surprise, my batter life has been revived after these changes. I'm getting around 8 hours of SOT. I'm super happy now.

And I can install and run the regular apps which are Google service dependent. I have installed Whatsapp, Paytm, Tapatalk and all of them are working fine. I got notification to enable Google play services after launching each app and they have been permanently disappeared after disabling notification by long pressing on it. And I also went to each of the Google app and disabled notifications.

My Key2 is now back to normal and I'm super duper happy.
    chetmanley likes this.
    12-10-19 02:43 PM

Cheers.
    Simple

1. Remove your Google account from settings
    2. Go to settings, app and show system apps
    3. Disable all the Google apps without any hesitation

Your device is now degoogled
    12-10-19 03:22 PM
    Hello,

I decided to remove Google Play Services from my Keyone. I've been digging through the OS settings the past week and was not comfortable with all the analytics running under the hood. So I experimented on my Priv first to see if it would perform similarly to BB10 (sans GPS) or if it would throw up so many issues and warnings that it wouldn't work.

To my excitement, the Priv still worked with the following caveats:

-Google Maps and Google Pictures generate a notification each time they are started stating they wont run without GPS (they run fine, and that notification can be blocked). I tried patching both of them like BB10, but because they are system apps, I can't install over them.

On the plus side, Google pictures looks so much cleaner now since the menu has simplifed having no Google Drive or sharing or backup or what have you. Its now simply a picture viewer.

-Blackberry Password Keeper wont start without GPS and needs to be patched (BB10 Cobalt Style). On the Priv I couldn't install the patched version because Password keeper is a system app, but it wasn't a problem on the Keyone because you can completely uninstall PK and install the patched version.

-Signal doesn't work. I tried a patched version but it simply can't contact its server without GPS
    Update: Signal now works fine without Google Play Services.

-Threema works like on BB10 with Polling switched on.

-Obviously no Google play store. It won't even start.

So in summary, it's basically BB10. So I'm back to getting my APKs from other sources, patching them as required, and side loading them.

The Benefits:

BATTERY LIFE!!!! Before I killed the google, my new Keyone was averaging 40 hours of battery life which is already fantastic with about 6-7 hours of screen on time. But since killing GPS, I haven't charged my phone in 25 hours and it still has 40 hours of life left at its current rate!! So almost 3 days of battery available That's with a VPN connected 24/7 also, Cellular and Wifi radios on, battery saving mode off.

NO MORE GOOGLE SPYWARE - nuf said

I'm testing another Map application called Here. It provides offline maps and it has dramatically fewer permission requests than Google Maps.

Lucky Patcher

In addition, while researching all of this, I discovered an app called Lucky Patcher. This app is amazing because it allows you to disable application permissions, including those ones you can't control manually in app settings. Stuff like network connections, google ads, Blackberry Telemetry, vibration and NFC control can all be tweaked with this app.

So not only have I disabled google from my phone, I've managed to patch my favorite apps so they no longer contact google or facebook ad servers, or BB Telemetry in the background. This took some trial and error with some apps because it would cause some to crash depending on what was disabled.

Just wanted to share because I'm sure there are other tinfoil hat wearing BB users out there who are weary of making the switch to Android. But I found a way to make this phone as private as possible. It's essentially a Passport now, but it has Android 7.1 rather than 4.3.

Cheers

EDIT: Updates from rest of thread to save some reading.

In place of Signal, you can download Noise from the Copperhead repository on F-Droid.
    Update: Noise is no more - Signal can now be used without Google Play Services like Noise.

In place of the Google Play Store, you can install Yalp (also from F-Droid).

Update regarding Yalp Store: Recently more and more applications are coming from Google Play as split apks (ie, one app is made up of multiple apks). Without root access, Yalp has no way to install these split apps.

Fortunately there is an app called SAI (Split APK installer) available from here:
    https://github.com/Aefyr/SAI/releases
    Update: It's now available on google play / yalp also

Once you download the app from Yalp, it will warn you if it's split and therefore can't be installed. Just install it using SAI by selecting each of the spilit apk parts which were downloaded by Yalp.
    One question, after these changes location based apps can't recognise the location. Any help?

This might have been already discussed in this long thread but I don't have time to read all posts.
    12-10-19 03:31 PM

So my PRIV and DTEK are okay? If not the hardware than price for replacement batteries at least...
    12-10-19 03:37 PM
    One question, after these changes location based apps can't recognise the location. Any help?

This might have been already discussed in this long thread but I don't have time to read all posts.
    Unfortunately, the Key2 and only the Key2 has an issue where by location will not display in Google Maps once Google Play Services is disabled.

The moment you re-enable it, you will see your gps location in Google Maps.

This is not an issue with the Priv or Keyone.

It only affects google maps. You can use a different mapping app like Here Maps.

Here Maps has facebook telemetry embedded, but this can be blocked with Netguard.
    12-10-19 03:50 PM
    Unfortunately, the Key2 and only the Key2 has an issue where by location will not display in Google Maps once Google Play Services is disabled.

It only affects google maps. You can use a different mapping app like Here Maps.

Here Maps has facebook telemetry embedded, but this can be blocked with Netguard.
    Why would it just be with the KEY2? And not even the LE?

They run essentially the same exact OS lol
    12-10-19 03:53 PM
    Why would it just be with the KEY2? And not even the LE?

They run essentially the same exact OS lol
    I forgot about the LE. I've never tried this on the LE so I'm not sure.

But the Key1 with Oreo does not have this issue.
    12-10-19 03:55 PM

Not only Google maps, none of the apps can detect location.
    12-10-19 03:57 PM
    Not only Google maps, none of the apps can detect location.
    May I ask which other apps you've tried so far? I'll see if I can replicate it on my phone.

Besides disabling the Google App and Google Play Services, did you also try disabling other apps via ADB which might be causing an issue (like qualcomm location)?

And are you on the November security patch?

Thanks
    12-10-19 05:40 PM
    May I ask which other apps you've tried so far? I'll see if I can replicate it on my phone.

Besides disabling the Google App and Google Play Services, did you also try disabling other apps via ADB which might be causing an issue (like qualcomm location)?

And are you on the November security patch?

Thanks
    I tried ola and uber lite versions using chrome browser and I didn't disable any other apps.

Open uber.com in chrome browser and try to book cab
    12-11-19 12:42 AM
    You can also open maps.google.com from chrome and see if your current location is identified
    12-11-19 12:46 AM
    You can also open maps.google.com from chrome and see if your current location is identified
    I don't use Chrome because it is a large component of Google's device data collection system. If Google maps doesn't display location when Google Play Services are disabled, then Chrome might also have the same issue.

I just tested location in Firefox on maps.google.com and it works fine.

If you are worried about Google, then I would recommend disabling Chrome, and switch to Firefox and / or Tor.

Also, if you set up location services under Settings->Security/Location to only work with GPS, which I recommend (and not cellular/wifi/bluetooth), then you will only get a displayed location if your device can receive a signal (ie outdoors or a very thin roof/near a window)

Cheers
    12-11-19 12:34 PM
    I don't use Chrome because it is a large component of Google's device data collection system. If Google maps doesn't display location when Google Play Services are disabled, then Chrome might also have the same issue.

I just tested location in Firefox on maps.google.com and it works fine.

If you are worried about Google, then I would recommend disabling Chrome, and switch to Firefox and / or Tor.

Also, if you set up location services under Settings->Security/Location to only work with GPS, which I recommend (and not cellular/wifi/bluetooth), then you will only get a displayed location if your device can receive a signal (ie outdoors or a very thin roof/near a window)

Cheers
    Not only with chrome, this is same for all apps which require location. Those apps can detect location when GPS is enabled.
    12-11-19 02:34 PM
    Not only with chrome, this is same for all apps which require location. Those apps can detect location when GPS is enabled.
    Sorry, not sure I follow. Which other apps have you tried beside Chrome? Have you checked that each app has Location Permission enabled?

If a specific app uses the same mechanism as Google Maps to retrieve location data (i.e. via Google Play Services), then it's likely that app will also fail to show position if Google Play Services is disabled.

Have you tried Here maps or Firefox to see if location appears with those?
    12-11-19 04:16 PM
    Sorry, not sure I follow. Which other apps have you tried beside Chrome? Have you checked that each app has Location Permission enabled?

If a specific app uses the same mechanism as Google Maps to retrieve location data (i.e. via Google Play Services), then it's likely that app will also fail to show position if Google Play Services is disabled.

Have you tried Here maps or Firefox to see if location appears with those?
    You are right, I tried Firefox as you suggested and it can retrieve the location from the below websites

1. Google maps
    2. Ola cabs
    3. Swiggy

Location was not identified while using uber.com. I'm getting pickup.currentlocation error.

Can you pls also verify from your side and confirm

Thanks for your help
    12-12-19 03:38 AM
    I forgot about the LE. I've never tried this on the LE so I'm not sure.

But the Key1 with Oreo does not have this issue.
    Actually, my KEYone does have this issue. It will not display the location if play service is disabled.
    12-12-19 08:54 AM
    Lucky Patcher

A couple things:

1) The above link doesn't work for me. All I get is a page with a bunch of links to "lucky patcher guides;" no .apk's to download.
    2) I *think* I found it at luckypatchers dot com but I'm worried it's a fake. Google Play Protect flags it as an unsafe app, which could simply be because of what it does (patch other apps and replace their signatures) but it could also be malware disguising itself as the real app.

Any way to assure myself I have the real app and not some Trojan?
    12-12-19 05:12 PM
240 ... 56789 ...