Hi Folks,

I put a brand new 128gb Samsung evo+ card in my new Dtek60 when I got the phone at Christmas time.

On March 17th some of my phones apps would not work and I rebooted my phone. It has since complained that my SD card was not loaded and or corrupted.

My card was formatted as internal storage as I never intended to take it out and would transfer files wirelessly. I spent a good deal of time trying one program after another to format it and restore it all to no avail.

I managed to get a replacement over the weekend so I had a fair bit of re installation to do and was thankful for google drive backing up my pics!

Everything is up and running again but I worry it will happen again...

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is it harder on a card to be internal storage rather than external?

Just want to prepare myself if this happens again in 3 months. The card is warrantied for 10 years so 3 months really does not cut it.
    03-20-17 08:52 AM
    Just sounds like a defective card, but I've heard there are cards specifically made for being used as internal storage as well.. Might want to look into that if it fails again
    03-20-17 09:06 AM
    Don't know if it's a coincidence but same thing happened to me on the 16th, I was using the camera at work to send pictures to a colleague. The camera and messenger app got sluggish and picture couldn't be seen. Then I saw the message that the card was corrupted. This never happened to me in my Dtek60 which I got on launch day. Mine was a SandDisk Ultra 64. The only time this happened to me was with The PRIV before the MicrosoftexFat for BlackBerry App was released so don't know if is related. BTW mine was set as portable storage.
    Attached Thumbnails Internal (aka Adopted) Storage SD card corrupted-37510.jpg  
    03-20-17 09:19 AM
    I've had an issue with my sd card too! I did buy another SanDisk 64gb ultra (white and grey version....not sure if it makes a difference) but not using it at present as I don't want to risk it happening again. The old corrupted card was the standard SanDisk 64 ultra one.

Prior to the 64gb card...i was using a 32gb SanDisk and had no issues whatsoever.
    03-20-17 03:19 PM
    I had the same problem in my Dtek60. It said corrupted card on the phone. It was a 64gb I bought a replacement 128gb and did not have any issues. I tried formatting the bad one on my desktop and kept getting corrupted card. So I tried it one more time in the phone and formatted it in the phone. Now the card is working fine even on my desktop computer.
    03-20-17 05:28 PM
    Yes I tried formatting on my phone (would just give me an error and not format the card), and my PC using a variety of tools. None were successful. Hoping the new card works OK. The reviews for the Samsung Evo+ cards are very positive though I did notice some on bestbuy that seemed to indicated people have had the same issue as me previously.
    03-21-17 11:28 AM
    It happens. SD cards are optimized for large-write, mostly-read use. Adoptable storage breaks that model. There are some "high-endurance" cards designed for use in things like security cameras and such which MIGHT be more-durable, but no promises there either.

When SD cards detect an internal failure they usually write-lock themselves permanently in an attempt to allow you to get the data on them off before replacing the card. The reason is that if the error is in a directory block (and they have no way to know that) allowing continued writes is almost-certain to irretrievably corrupt everything on the card.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-23-17 10:05 AM
    Got a new one, the corrupted one can't be read on Dtek60, PRIV or Z10. It can be read on a GS5 and computer. Will copy the card to the computer and try to format the card.
    03-24-17 05:51 PM
    It happens. SD cards are optimized for large-write, mostly-read use. Adoptable storage breaks that model. There are some "high-endurance" cards designed for use in things like security cameras and such which MIGHT be more-durable, but no promises there either.

When SD cards detect an internal failure they usually write-lock themselves permanently in an attempt to allow you to get the data on them off before replacing the card. The reason is that if the error is in a directory block (and they have no way to know that) allowing continued writes is almost-certain to irretrievably corrupt everything on the card.
    And yet they are used for cameras all day long with very little problem?

Doesn't compute...
    03-24-17 06:28 PM
    And yet they are used for cameras all day long with very little problem?

Doesn't compute...
    Oh, how long have you been using them in cameras, and with what sort of duty cycle?

"Very little problem" eh? You've never had one go up in smoke on you with a few hundred images on it? I have -- more than once. You learn real fast why the 5d3 has dual card sockets (one CF, one SD) and can be set to write images to BOTH at the same time.
    03-24-17 07:17 PM
    Hmm interesting thread.Ive been having issues as well.

Basically took my 64Gb card from my Z30 and installed it in the 60....then it tells me to "mount it"..I'm going WTF..? I didn't buy an Apple i6.. why the heck would I need to "mount" anything. So I do and then I'm informed said card is corrupted. OK
    go pull it out - re-formatted on my Lenovo ...load up my tunes...go to settings to see if it is recognized...same thing happens..??

As far as the sd card is, it may well be hooped...
    Love this damned phone though...what a beast.!
    03-29-17 01:21 AM
    My sd corrupted a week ago and lost all my photos. It seems to be happening to many users. Could it be the software?
    03-29-17 07:33 AM
    I had a 128 GB SanDisk card and it happened to me with my PRIV, tried everything I could but still corrupted. Took it back to store where bought it and they replaced it. Fortunately I didn't have much on it, but music .
    03-29-17 10:43 AM
    Happened to me too but the card was an older card. Thankfully I was able to pull my files off of it using my laptop. Took a few tries but it worked
    03-29-17 10:49 AM
    Interesting as I just had a dead spot on my Dtek60 screen. Sent it off for repair. When I received it back I put the SD card I had been using back in and it couldn't be read either. Usually getting the corrupt error. I put it into my PRIV and it worked fine. I couldn't get the formatting process to complete on my Dtek60 so I formatted it with my PRIV with no avail. Was thinking of trying to format it with a PC but doesn't sound like that will work from the posts above I also have a black line across the screen about 2/3 of the way down. I. The process of trying to get these two issues fixed. At the point that I want a replacement device.
    04-09-17 07:47 AM
    I had the same thing happen but ended up finding a solution.

Go to Phone settings-> Apps -> Tap three dots on top right to select select Show system apps -> select External Storage and Media storage and force stop, delete data and cache, then ReBoot.

I didn't need to reformat or anything. All of my data was still there. The above just clears the corrupt indexing in Android. Try it next time. The only caveat is you will need to reset your ring tones and alerts after its done indexing in about five to ten minutes.

It's been working fine since. And I'm also using a SanDisk PRO UHS1 64gb card. I found the solution on a google developer board and it seems android caches once on boot and indexes everything. It's been happening ever since MM was released.

Hope that helps.
    ordigas likes this.
    04-09-17 01:14 PM
    I had the problem once. I took the card out and tried to read it from my pc... in trying to read the card, a read error was identified and then fixed. I put the card back in the phone and all has been well since. I am no expert but it was scary. I back up most files but not all. I keep the card as external so I can pull it out and read it outside the phone.
    04-19-17 06:58 PM
    I had the same thing happen but ended up finding a solution.

Go to Phone settings-> Apps -> Tap three dots on top right to select select Show system apps -> select External Storage and Media storage and force stop, delete data and cache, then ReBoot.

I didn't need to reformat or anything. All of my data was still there. The above just clears the corrupt indexing in Android. Try it next time. The only caveat is you will need to reset your ring tones and alerts after its done indexing in about five to ten minutes.

It's been working fine since. And I'm also using a SanDisk PRO UHS1 64gb card. I found the solution on a google developer board and it seems android caches once on boot and indexes everything. It's been happening ever since MM was released.

Hope that helps.
    I tried this with no avail. I think in my case when the digitizer was replaced it may have caused the new line on the screen and fried the SD card reader. Just awaiting the next label to be sent to send back my device for the second time.
    04-20-17 06:17 AM
    Had the same with my Dtek50, brand new 128gb SD card, 6months internal storage turned it to toast. Decided to not go that road with the replacement and formatted it differently.

Downside now is that I really have to take it out of the device to access the data as Dtek only shows internal storage when connected to PC.
    One more thing to miss from bb10

Posted via CB10
    04-21-17 11:41 AM
    Had the same with my Dtek50, brand new 128gb SD card, 6months internal storage turned it to toast. Decided to not go that road with the replacement and formatted it differently.

Downside now is that I really have to take it out of the device to access the data as Dtek only shows internal storage when connected to PC.
    One more thing to miss from bb10

Posted via CB10
    I had the same problem with my Dtek50. Tried to back up my SD card on the computer by plugging the phone in via USB. It read the internal storage but not SD card.
    When I took out the SD card and used a USB adapter, the computer couldn't read it due to an error. A few minutes of panic while Windows fixed it for me. It worked! Whew.
    But taking out the SD card on these phones is a pain. Inevitably I drop the SIM card or SD card or both. :-(
    Looking forward to getting a Dtek60 in the future
    04-22-17 09:12 PM
    Had the same problem with my new DTEK60 last night. Have a 64GB Sandisk MicroSD in it. Tried every software out there and was able to recover a few files, but not much. Very disappointed to see this as I have never had a problem with an SD card ever, nor have I ever had a problem with a Blackberry device and I've had almost all of them. I reformatted it for now, but have ordered a new SD card with UHS-II technology. Looks like I will need to back-up my SD card to the cloud as well. Very sad, other than this issue I absolutely love the phone.
    04-24-17 08:38 AM
    The same thing happened to me. Theres some very complex methods to resolve the issue. 1.) Is to insert the sd card with the adapted to a pc or laptop. And using a partianing software. Or you could root the device. And get total control. Like a real network administrator. But doing this on a Blackberry/android isn't recommend due to security and bricking/voiding the warranty issues. Since BlackBerry is very security cautious. Rooting a blackberry / android is extremely difficult and complicated. This is for the advanced user indeed. Im thinking about taking the safe way to fixing the issue. If that does work. The I will simply refund the product. Thats the best advice I can give. If anyone has a better suggestion. I'm willing to listen, it would be appreciated.
    05-02-17 08:03 AM
    The same thing happened to me. Theres some very complex methods to resolve the issue. 1.) Is to insert the sd card with the adapted to a pc or laptop. And using a partianing software. Or you could root the device. And get total control. Like a real network administrator. But doing this on a Blackberry/android isn't recommend due to security and bricking/voiding the warranty issues. Since BlackBerry is very security cautious. Rooting a blackberry / android is extremely difficult and complicated. This is for the advanced user indeed. Im thinking about taking the safe way to fixing the issue. If that does work. The I will simply refund the product. Thats the best advice I can give. If anyone has a better suggestion. I'm willing to listen, it would be appreciated.
    I'd suggest you stop trying to root it, as this is impossible.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-02-17 08:12 AM
    I didn't attempt to root it since its seems to be very risky. Like I said in my previous comments. I'm going to take the safe way since I don't want to void the warranty on my device. Or brick the the phone.
    05-02-17 08:37 AM
    The error message is gone. Still curious if it will be able to read the sd card now. Seems exciting. Looks like progress.
    05-02-17 08:48 AM
36 12