Present company excluded, of course, but I haven't found any interest anywhere in the real world in BB phones. I was at a party in USA of doctors, pharmacists, government workers. Not a single one had a BB. Everyone had an iphone or the rare samsung, except for me with my Bold 9900. These were all professionals and business owners, too.

I'm in a SE Asian country now for vacation. Among the real locals (not tourists), I see many feature phones (usually Nokia), I see a LOT of iphones and some Samsungs. No Huawei, Oppo junk, HTC, LG. How do any smartphone companies beside Apple or Samsung survive?

I'm on the lookout for an Aurora, but I haven't spotted that BB logo.

Don't even bother with Windows phones, either. They just don't exist as far as I can see anymore.

Sent from my primary phone, a pristine BlackBerry 9900!
    08-31-17 01:58 AM
    I went on vacation to Canada and the only BlackBerry phone I saw was in a store. Heck, I post questions on this site and barely get an answer. Says something...
    08-31-17 05:43 AM
    I live in Louisville. I have seen a reporter with a Classic and a Cemetery supervisor with a Priv. That is it. There are others for sure, but percentage wise it is a miniscule number. The Cemetery super traded his Priv in for a Samsung because he was having issues.

Me, my next phone will not be a BlackBerry unless the new slab is a flagship killer with an optimized OS like the OnePlus 5 with specs to match. If not, I will jump to the 5.
    08-31-17 06:28 AM
    iphone got advantage as medical is their key target area. I know years ago, the hopital got ipad app that integrated x-ray viewing, medical data etc. as a whole package in app (not sure it is home made or 3rd party contract work). you can use iphone to access it. Droid is such a fragmented eco-system, lack of control might not suitable for high rel work. BBOS since the BIS got phase out, no longer have advantage, including your 9900. The screen is too small, the memory is insufficient, browser is out of date. Even current Havey flood, social media is replace BBM (I am glad the cell tower and electricity hold up) to call for help. BB10 could be a great ecosystem, but lost to all force against it, including current CEO (software only vision). Security for all is a messy business (try to secure a OS that is rootable, with open to all app writer wanabe... and outsource to China that can have hardware embedded code to send your info back to asia... is tall order... even for BB). BB had every ingradient of end to end, server farm, BIS, app (native, although small), OS (with downfall of droid run time), software/hardware, the legal and marketing and infight high up were the bad kama.. (just look at change from Mike/Jim to all USA team to most EU team - can't even speak good english, to current almost all Sybase team - look like database company according to the expertise listed in Key personnel list...hopefully, that is what the Chen's Boss envisioned change). BB K1 might be a bit change. unless there are apps get into the medical, gov, business (with professional willing to develop and trust droid), it would be a lost again for BB. (BB use to have medical focus if I recall correctly, but fade away with BB10 - check few years back marketing material).
    08-31-17 06:59 AM
    Are you still surprised not to see anyone in the wild with a BlackBerry device? Only here in CB that you will be able to converse with people who owns a BlackBerry device.

@#¿*Berry
    08-31-17 07:34 AM
    No, not so surprised at lack of real world BBs as by seeming prominence of iphones in my current 3rd world country. Even a cheap iphone can be half or more of a year's salary. I should be seeing more 2g phones here or hand-me-down BBs.

My Bold 9900 is no good for apps or games, but I don't need that. Just calls, texts, docs-to-go, email, and some crackberry, and I'm satisfied. If I want internet or games or videos, I use my ipad. But I can understand the draw of a fancy samsung note or iphone 7...

08-31-17 08:06 AM
    Here in rural Canada you will see people with BBs - mostly PRIVs, although some of the major banks and provincial government have used BB10 heavily in the past - I'm not sure about currently.
    08-31-17 08:35 AM
    Same as in my 3rd world country. You'll find a lot of Samsungs and iPhones since these are the devices subsidies mostly by the carriers in which consumers can avail at a low cash out or none at all depends on the plan.

@#¿*Berry
    08-31-17 08:40 AM
    I see people using iPhones and different Android phones often (not just Samsung). Although not as frequent, I do see the occasional BlackBerry. Recently saw someone using a Priv, and another using Q10.

It depends on where you are as well, and blind luck sometimes. There's over 7.5 billion people on the planet as of 2017, and a huge geographic area.
    08-31-17 08:50 AM
    Are you still surprised not to see anyone in the wild with a BlackBerry device? Only here in CB that you will be able to converse with people who owns a BlackBerry device.

@#¿*Berry
    Just spoke with a woman this afternoon with a blackberry passport. She stopped to ask me directions then her phone rang so couldn't speak to her for long
    08-31-17 10:48 AM
    I live in Louisville. I have seen a reporter with a Classic and a Cemetery supervisor with a Priv. That is it. There are others for sure, but percentage wise it is a miniscule number. The Cemetery super traded his Priv in for a Samsung because he was having issues.

Me, my next phone will not be a BlackBerry unless the new slab is a flagship killer with an optimized OS like the OnePlus 5 with specs to match. If not, I will jump to the 5.
    I have not seen a BlackBerry in CA for years in the wild. Att gave BB Priv the boot at the end of last year in San Diego. Every IT person I know just laughs when I ask why they don't pitch the BlackBerry brand to the higher ups. It really is a shame, I have carried a BB since 2004, but I am reevaluating that now with so many flagship killers out there and more to come.

Dtek60 here, but my wife Loves her 1+5. I'm just hoping TCL/BB Mo gives us peasants that own a 60 a reason to keep carrying the BlackBerry logo on our phones. If not they will continue their downward spiral. No Keyone or new midrange slab will save BlackBerry, only customer satisfaction. Pretty simple.
    08-31-17 01:12 PM
    I work with a supervisor who has a Priv like I do. In fact he had his priv before I got mine. I think he gave me a little inspiration to come back to blackberry (I took a break after my passport).

The funny thing to me is that he doesn't even use his keyboard on his phone. He is an older guy so maybe he feel like it is simpler for him to type on the touchscreen. My uncle says he is thinking of getting one. I am trying to get him to do it lol. Don't think it will work thought.
    08-31-17 02:23 PM
    I have not seen a BlackBerry in CA for years in the wild. Att gave BB Priv the boot at the end of last year in San Diego. Every IT person I know just laughs when I ask why they don't pitch the BlackBerry brand to the higher ups.
    That's because the IT people who DID pitch BB phones back in 2013-2014 - and got their companies to do so - mostly lost their jobs when the companies figured out that they'd bought into a dead end. Just like this story about NYPD adopting WinPhone a couple of years ago on the advice of a WinPhone fan:

NYPD needs to replace 36K useless smartphones | New York Post

Having a bias for your personal device is fine, but allowing that bias to affect your professional judgement can be a career-ending move - as several former CBers learned the hard way.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-31-17 03:35 PM
    I work with a supervisor who has a Priv like I do. In fact he had his priv before I got mine. I think he gave me a little inspiration to come back to blackberry (I took a break after my passport).

The funny thing to me is that he doesn't even use his keyboard on his phone. He is an older guy so maybe he feel like it is simpler for him to type on the touchscreen. My uncle says he is thinking of getting one. I am trying to get him to do it lol. Don't think it will work thought.
    I went from a Classic to a PRIV - my wife was coming up on the end of her iPhone contract and was wanting a larger phone. So, after looking at the massive cost for a large screen iPhone, I moved her to a PRIV because I could get it for $0 on a 2 year contract. Same thing - she doesn't use the physical keyboard at all.
    08-31-17 03:48 PM
    Company I work for moved to iphone.

Still some hang on to BlackBerry. Me with a Classic and the Priv. The Lawyer with a PP.

Iphone laying somewhere in a drawer collecting dust. UI drove me nuts, and email attachments as well. Typing on glass isn't my thing either.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-17 04:12 PM
    I know a guy as a work relation that uses a Passport SE.
    08-31-17 05:39 PM
    Every phone released is a slab copy cat. They are all the same. It's nice having a phone that's not the exact same as everyone else has.
    08-31-17 05:40 PM
    That's because the IT people who DID pitch BB phones back in 2013-2014 - and got their companies to do so - mostly lost their jobs when the companies figured out that they'd bought into a dead end. Just like this story about NYPD adopting WinPhone a couple of years ago on the advice of a WinPhone fan:

NYPD needs to replace 36K useless smartphones | New York Post

Having a bias for your personal device is fine, but allowing that bias to affect your professional judgement can be a career-ending move - as several former CBers learned the hard way.
    Agreed, That's what they all pretty much pointed too. Although it was a rhetorical question I put to them.
    09-01-17 02:12 PM
    I can't tell the last time I saw a BlackBerry phone out in the wild. I miss those days when almost everyone was using a BlackBerry... *sigh*
    09-01-17 03:01 PM
    I just came back from Korea. I saw plenty of iphones, plenty of Samsung (even one of Samsung's cool android flip phones), one Note8 (very nice screen!) but zero Blackberry.

09-15-17 11:08 PM
    Present company excluded, of course, but I haven't found any interest anywhere in the real world in BB phones. I was at a party in USA of doctors, pharmacists, government workers. Not a single one had a BB. Everyone had an iphone or the rare samsung, except for me with my Bold 9900. These were all professionals and business owners, too.

I'm in a SE Asian country now for vacation. Among the real locals (not tourists), I see many feature phones (usually Nokia), I see a LOT of iphones and some Samsungs. No Huawei, Oppo junk, HTC, LG. How do any smartphone companies beside Apple or Samsung survive?

I'm on the lookout for an Aurora, but I haven't spotted that BB logo.

Don't even bother with Windows phones, either. They just don't exist as far as I can see anymore.

Same thing here, haven't seen another blackberry except for my z10 which I left last December and went to LG/Nexus.
    As for Apple, they just took over the business world that blackberry controlled for years.
    The average everyday user has absolutely no use for BlackBerrys security services and could care less, and that could be the problem. Somewhere along the line blackberry forgot about the average user and aimed for the corporate, govt., And business world as targets and unfortunately there are way more average users than business people.
    09-16-17 07:14 AM
    As for Apple, they just took over the business world that blackberry controlled for years.
    The average everyday user has absolutely no use for BlackBerrys security services and could care less, and that could be the problem. Somewhere along the line blackberry forgot about the average user and aimed for the corporate, govt., And business world as targets and unfortunately there are way more average users than business people.
    Mike Lazaridis ceded the business/enterprise world to Samsung and (mostly) Apple when he refused to listen to anyone else and was adamant on sticking with BBOS and BIS/BES instead of working on a modern OS in 2005 when the first "Apple smartphone" rumors started to circulate, and certainly in January of 2007 when the official iPhone announcement was made and he completely dismissed it.

The iPhone was a seismic shift - a "shot heard 'round the world" by just about anyone paying attention, but Mike didn't just fail to react, he REFUSED to react, despite the pleading from some BB insiders.

Mike was committed to making buggy whips in the era of the automobile:

09-17-17 11:19 AM
    I can't remember the last time I saw a BlackBerry in the wild. I think it's been years. I've even seen Windows phones more.

Posted from my  Classic
    09-19-17 07:30 PM
    You'll probably see more in Canada than anywhere else.
    09-20-17 04:32 PM
    I have seen quite a few blackberries in London, UK. Quite a few passports and classics. Even some Priv's and BBOS7 devices.
    Bfalcon1 likes this.
    09-20-17 04:56 PM