With my old Blackberry Curve, if I had Google Maps closed, it was closed.

With my KeyOne, however, I walk into Lowe's--- and Google Maps jumps into action. "Hey! You want to take a picture of Lowe's and post it so everyone can see what Lowe's looks like?"

I close it out. I walk into Sutherland's. Google Maps jumps into action. "Hey! You want to confirm the hours, right?"

My data went over my limit last month. I figured it was part of having a new phone, installing new apps, etc. Is there a way to really turn off Google Maps, so that it won't do anything until I go out of my way to activate it? Or is this just another Android thing I need to get used to?
    07-03-17 10:01 PM
    With my old Blackberry Curve, if I had Google Maps closed, it was closed.

With my KeyOne, however, I walk into Lowe's--- and Google Maps jumps into action. "Hey! You want to take a picture of Lowe's and post it so everyone can see what Lowe's looks like?"

I close it out. I walk into Sutherland's. Google Maps jumps into action. "Hey! You want to confirm the hours, right?"

My data went over my limit last month. I figured it was part of having a new phone, installing new apps, etc. Is there a way to really turn off Google Maps, so that it won't do anything until I go out of my way to activate it? Or is this just another Android thing I need to get used to?
    I love your description of the, ahem, issue!

I have turned off location service or info for Google. You may need Main Settings, Apps, scroll to find Maps (Google) and find Permissions and turn that off. I have location on for things like my weather program and for tagging a photo with location (and I have an irritating story about that - I get a notice or email from Google asking if I wanted to share my photo of Greenlake (near my house) with the world - what the F!!!!! I had to find out how to turn that off. I did not want google looking at my photos at all!!!

Google Maps itself might have an option to disable such "help!!!!" But I can assure you it will be hidden.
    midorii likes this.
    07-03-17 10:41 PM