I have a Motion, and am having a tough time getting my contacts off my local storage, and onto my computer.

I've gone through the Contacts app and copied all my contacts to another email address. This email address had sync on. It was an Outlook address. The thought process was to copy them there, sync it to my online Outlook account, then to Outlook on my computer. But they never synced. If I created a new contact in that email address, it worked fine. But not when I copied over all my contacts. And unfortunately, I could not find a place where I could select just like 10 to do another test.

I then tried "export to storage". I always only get 1 contact. Even though it looks like it's doing a lot...

Then I tried "sharing" my contacts. Shared them to my One Drive account. Again, only 1 contact. But a different one than the last test.

Any other ideas? This is the area where I really miss BB10. I'm this close to taking my Z30, transferring my old contacts from that, and manually figuring out which ones I've updated since then. It's just that I have 2400 contacts to go through...
    12-07-18 11:10 PM
    Surely your contacts are stored in your google account?

On your PC:
    Log into google (eg with the same gmail address & password that you use on your phone)
    Click the square (of nine little squares) that is in the top right corner
    Click More at the bottom of the box that pops up
    Click the Contacts icon
    The Export function is underneath More (you may have to click the More item to show/expand the items underneath it)

Hope that helps
    12-08-18 09:28 AM
    Yep, you can check if they're synced at contacts.google.com
    I've had no issues with "Export to Storage". Are you viewing the .vcf file on Windows? I think it shows one contact card at a time, and you have to click arrow buttons to go to the next or previous card.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-08-18 09:33 AM
    Surely your contacts are stored in your google account?

On your PC:
    Log into google (eg with the same gmail address & password that you use on your phone)
    Click the square (of nine little squares) that is in the top right corner
    Click More at the bottom of the box that pops up
    Click the Contacts icon
    The Export function is underneath More (you may have to click the More item to show/expand the items underneath it)

Hope that helps
    My contacts are not synced with my Google Account. I thought they might, but I used a transfer app when changing from my Z30 to the Motion. I thought it went through Google, but maybe not the contacts section per se.
    12-17-18 11:04 PM
    Yep, you can check if they're synced at contacts.google.com
    I've had no issues with "Export to Storage". Are you viewing the .vcf file on Windows? I think it shows one contact card at a time, and you have to click arrow buttons to go to the next or previous card.
    I am viewing in windows. But the file size is so small too. I have about 2000 contacts I was transferring, but it wouldn't matter how many I selected, only one contact seemed visible. It always opened in Outlook.
    12-17-18 11:06 PM
    Since so many of my contacts seem to be fragmented, I decided to go back to my Z30, and start from there. I'm trying to organize my contacts by personal/job 1/job 2/job 3. I want all my personal contacts associated with my personal email account. And then job 1 and job 2 associated with my "professional" email account. And then job 3 is my current job where my contacts are synced with my microsoft exchange.

So right now I have my local contacts that are an amalgamation of personal/job 1/job 2. But then other email addresses where I've synced those contacts to, although outdated. I'll have to now go through and fix up contacts, ridding duplicates, and updated into.

I'm doing this all on Outlook on my PC, where I have each of these email addresses synced. It's far easier than trying to do it on the phone.

I was really hoping to simply copy my local contacts to an email address, sync them, delete the local copy on my phone, then organize in Outlook. but since that doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to keep the local copy, and double check each contact with the local to ensure I have the most updated into. It's a pain. But at least it will be thorough.
    12-17-18 11:13 PM