All these other carriers whom would like to do so (at least I think?) can't seem to achieve this? Blackberry is one of the very first to keep the XDA folks out? Or is it that all these other companies allow a back door that's like a puzzle for us whom like root to find to boost sales in that market?

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 01:02 PM
    BlackBerry chooses to lock the bootloader, and uses the Qualcomm root of trust to only allow BlackBerry-signed OSes to be installed.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-06-17 01:23 PM
    BlackBerry chooses to lock the bootloader, and uses the Qualcomm root of trust to only allow BlackBerry-signed OSes to be installed.
    What do others gain by not doing this as in do they know there is a big market for root on android and don't mind leaving a puzzle or backdoor behind for this? I know some companies do as smucks brick their phones then blame the company and try to get a new one. That's not fair. Everyone bricks a phone if into rooting that hardcore BUT I just think they should take it on the chin like a man and nbot try to hide it. Either way, cool info to know Conite.

Thanks, DPR

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 03:28 PM
    .. as I guess other could have done this prior and said they were the "most secure" but must not found the benefits outweighed the percs. Hmm..

I do remember KNOX "was" an issue and the biggest or ONLY besides BlackDroids was one by toshibia as I tried on the 13.3 inch tablet they had... it had something dubbed "slime" or Sea foam, slipped my mind. I'd say toshibia succeeded Once but blackberry came right out into the game and did it like it was nothing. I find this awesome. I did hear first version of priv had one exploit which they swiftly corrected. #GoBlackberry

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 03:35 PM
    Most EMM solutions have become pretty good at detecting root, and will lock out the device.
    08-06-17 03:35 PM
    Most EMM solutions have become pretty good at detecting root, and will lock out the device.
    ZTE is, they are so clever! I love that axon 7 except I still don't think there is root not that I need it and Passport remains my favorite device of all time as well as OS!... ZTE, imo ATM, They are a great stock to invest in. ZTE is coming up !! Their mid ranges are running like Flagships! Anyway, Blackberry created this or they just bought into this security?..or is it sort of a two way street? No exploits Is good and bad depending what one wants I suppose!

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 03:40 PM
    I wasn't talking devices. EMM is the company-side device manager.
    08-06-17 03:42 PM
    I wasn't talking devices. EMM is the company-side device manager.
    Oops, that's why I have you.
    Was just reading about it on wiki.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-17 03:50 PM
    What do others gain by not doing this as in do they know there is a big market for root on android and don't mind leaving a puzzle or backdoor behind for this? I know some companies do as smucks brick their phones then blame the company and try to get a new one. That's not fair. Everyone bricks a phone if into rooting that hardcore BUT I just think they should take it on the chin like a man and nbot try to hide it. Either way, cool info to know Conite.

Thanks, DPR

Posted via CB10
    They don't have to work as hard on the OS, which means they can release OS upgrades without first having to work to harden it. On one hand their users are all giddy that they get a new OS, but they lack the security that the BB version offers.
    08-07-17 10:29 AM
    And it matches an algorithm at the root level that can't be broken and unique to every device!!!!kool eh!?
    PHughes likes this.
    08-07-17 02:37 PM
    Root means you take superuser account of your phone from your phone's manufacturer. I don't understand why companies don't do hardening things but I do know what benefit I could get by taking the superuser account.
    08-07-17 09:53 PM
    They don't have to work as hard on the OS, which means they can release OS upgrades without first having to work to harden it. On one hand their users are all giddy that they get a new OS, but they lack the security that the BB version offers.
    I heard blackberry even released an android version a day ahead of Google Pixel once? I wonder if they are still keeping this up in the android world, hopefully as this was during the Priv days I remember reading about it.
    -Dread

Posted via CB10
    08-08-17 04:39 PM
    Monthly patches have consistently come to my Priv. Sometimes the patches arrive very early in a month, sometimes at the end, and sometimes (like last month) I got two in one month.

The above has been true only for the Priv. The DTEK phones are BB Mobile devices. They are behind when it comes to upgrades.
    08-09-17 05:23 PM
    Monthly patches have consistently come to my Priv. Sometimes the patches arrive very early in a month, sometimes at the end, and sometimes (like last month) I got two in one month.

The above has been true only for the Priv. The DTEK phones are BB Mobile devices. They are behind when it comes to upgrades.
    The DTEKs are BlackBerry devices - not BlackBerry Mobile.
    08-09-17 05:54 PM
    The DTEKs are BlackBerry devices - not BlackBerry Mobile.
    The DTEKS were made by TCL under license to them. TCL is BlackBerry Mobile. They are recertified as TCL products.
    08-10-17 06:55 AM
    The DTEKS were made by TCL under license to them. TCL is BlackBerry Mobile. They are recertified as TCL products.
    TCL just built them for BlackBerry. Support still comes from BlackBerry.
    08-10-17 07:02 AM
    And it matches an algorithm at the root level that can't be broken and unique to every device!!!!kool eh!?
    Speaking of BB10 over android blackberry I suppose one could never "JUST" take the emmt out for an android one to custom fit it to passport and keep the chip then as in if found a way to hook to screen, etc. It would have to be totally gutted then build the phone from scratch with passport body and screen because the chip/processor is unique to each BlackBerry? I'm surprised nobody Has attempted this yet although I seen some pretty cool Passport MODS on YouTube! It's as far as I know the only Smart phone of its rez, in this size with a 1x1. Wonder whom made this screen as not like it was just being mass produced. I see samsung made the RAM in the PPSE and if I remember correctly the EMMT as well. Also, it's Krait. I thought was snap dragon 801 but suppose that is...

Maybe I should of made a new thread for this, .......
    Passport MODS!

...Forgive my ignorance, I know enough to impress most who know little but once in with the big boys I'm a laughing stock however I'll ask anything to soak up the information like a sponge and one day take my clown makeup completely off. :x

Posted via CB10
    08-13-17 12:37 AM
    All these other carriers whom would like to do so (at least I think?) can't seem to achieve this? Blackberry is one of the very first to keep the XDA folks out? Or is it that all these other companies allow a back door that's like a puzzle for us whom like root to find to boost sales in that market?

Posted via CB10
    Some US Carrier phones from Samsung, LG and other OEMs can't be ROOTED either.

The benefit with ROOT is the amount of customisation and other features that Custom ROM Developers made popular.

E.g. Power Saving mods with CPU tweaking is now a standard feature in most Androids.

Mobile Hotspot is another example.

Animated Screenshots etc etc...

It's another way of understanding what people want in their phones I guess.
    08-14-17 12:29 AM
    Some great info for not just z10 but bb10.
    https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...alysis_v10.pdf

Posted via CB10
    08-29-17 10:19 PM
    Some great info for not just z10 but bb10.
    https://www.google.ca/url?q=http://w...alysis_v10.pdf

Posted via CB10
    http://www.cellebrite.com/Pages/blac...kberry-devices

Cellebrite has cracked BBOS and BB10. No confirmation on BlackBerry Android yet, however.
    08-29-17 10:57 PM