Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    New to Android and was researching new things / apps to use. Many suggested Solid Explorer (File Manager) . Issue is when I was in Android main setting and changing the ringtone Media Storage (stock Android file manager) and Solid Explorer see different files in the same folder. Media Storage sees more files (ringtones). Also when I search the secret ringtone in Solid Explorer (ex. assurance) nothing comes up.

What's going on? Can Solid Explorer not see all files? Is Media Storage special because it is the stock file manager?
    01-18-17 11:30 PM
    I guess the internal ringtone change dialog not only searches in /storage/emulated/ringtones (which is called "internal storage" /ringtones in Solid Explorer) but on an folder in root structure of Android / .

But I'm not into those ringtones so can't navigate you to that folder.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 01-19-17 at 12:19 AM.
    01-19-17 12:00 AM
    Here are two screen shots of my example
    Attached Thumbnails How come file manager can't see files-4336.jpg  
    01-19-17 12:11 AM
    The other screenshot
    Attached Thumbnails How come file manager can't see files-4335.jpg  
    01-19-17 12:12 AM
    Try Asus File Manager. Clean and simple to use.
    supertom likes this.
    01-19-17 12:56 AM
    How do you know that stock media storage app is not indexing those ringtones across multiple device directories? Because with solid Explorer you're just viewing that one directory location. Perhaps that list from the stock app is a list of indexed ringtones.
    01-19-17 02:35 AM
    In Solid Explorer if I search every folder for the missing ringtones the search comes up with nothing.

I'll try Asus and test that out
    01-19-17 08:36 AM
    How do you know that stock media storage app is not indexing those ringtones across multiple device directories? Because with solid Explorer you're just viewing that one directory location. Perhaps that list from the stock app is a list of indexed ringtones.
    ^^this is more on less correct.

Solid explorer is just that, a file manager and you will see all files in each directly.

The first screenshot is a system function and is not a file manager per say. Not all file types will be eligible for ringtones as well. It also is looking in system directories that you cant see without root probably.

/system/media/audio/ringtones

is a typical location for the stock tones and i doubt you can view it on a BB android device without using ADB. The system does look in other directories and can ad them to the list though.

here is a good tutorial on the subject

Adding custom ringtones and sounds to your Android | Android Central
    gizmo21 likes this.
    01-19-17 08:52 AM
    ^^this is more on less correct.

Solid explorer is just that, a file manager and you will see all files in each directly.

The first screenshot is a system function and is not a file manager per say. Not all file types will be eligible for ringtones as well. It also is looking in system directories that you cant see without root probably.

/system/media/audio/ringtones

is a typical location for the stock tones and i doubt you can view it on a BB android device without using ADB. The system does look in other directories and can ad them to the list though.

here is a good tutorial on the subject

Adding custom ringtones and sounds to your Android | Android Central
    Actually you don't need root to see the folder you mention. You only need root if you want to modify anything in the folder.
    Attached Thumbnails How come file manager can't see files-57094.jpg  
    gizmo21 likes this.
    01-19-17 08:58 AM
    in Solid Explorer, you can go into settings and enable showing root storage. Be careful as I believe you can also make changes.
    01-19-17 07:26 PM
    in Solid Explorer, you can go into settings and enable showing root storage. Be careful as I believe you can also make changes.
    No need to be careful.

Edit: for some reason only one of my two screenshots is showing.
    The first one just showed me about to create a new folder. The second one shows an error explaining I'm not allowed to.
    Attached Thumbnails How come file manager can't see files-58051.jpg  
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    01-19-17 07:53 PM
    Was having this issue as well. Couldn't find where the notification 'essential' was stored, so I could reset as my default for an app. Showing root files through the Solid Explorer settings was the answer. Notifications and ringtones are stored here by default. To access it press the burger bars in the top left, press the gear icon, scroll to the bottom of the options, select the option to show root storage.Attachment 416684

now it shows this:How come file manager can't see files-22184.jpg

navigate down through: root/sysyem/media/audio/ and there they are.
    01-29-17 09:09 PM