I have always loved BB, and now I have to move to an Android OS on my phone in order to carry on using certain communications Apps such as WhatsApp. However, I do not want my privacy compromised by Google scanning all my emails and targeting advertising based on the contents of my private emails. I do not wish to be 'owned' by Google. I am concerned that having now purchased a BB DTEK60, I have no options but to set up a Gmail account and I cannot get rid of the Google Apps which I never use, and I am now wary of putting my email accounts onto BB Hub as I believe Google will have access to the contents through Google Mail.

I need some help as right now I feel I should sell my DTEK60 and just buy a cheap Android phone and Root it with Cyanogen or such like OS.. Android minus Google!

Can I trust Google on BB? Is my private info being compromised? By putting my email accounts onto Google Mail am I technically wiring myself into the Google collective? I wish to de-Google my phone and computer usage. I believe Google is way too big as one company, it collates a lot of information about people for its own profit gains and for control purposes, it openly scans g-mail emails and the emails of non-gmail recipients for keywords and targets advertising based on those words. This is an infringement of my privacy. I am therefore stuck between a rock and a hard place; I need the Android technology to access some Apps but I do not want Google forced on me, controlling my every move... Help...please... Thank you.
    VictorRight likes this.
    04-08-17 09:10 PM
    The Hub is a BlackBerry offering and only connects to the server of the respective emails added to it, just as on BB10 and legacy BBOS.
    If you want to minimize contact with Google, create an account prior to purchasing a device and head over to https://myaccount.google.com/privacy and lock down that account as you see fit. Be sure to check related links for anything else that concerns you before using it on a new Android device.
    Controlling your every move?? Whoa buddy
    jmr1015 and xandros9 like this.
    04-08-17 09:15 PM
    Instead of over-reacting based on the alarmist articles you've read about Google's free services and apps, why not just stop and think this through?

Yes, you need a Google account to use Google's free Android OS.
    No you don't have to use the GMail app and no you don't have to put your GMail account in the Hub.
    No you don't have to use Google's excellent free Chrome browser or Google's amazingly useful free search engine.

I have my GMail account in the Hub along with my other accounts, but I don't use it for personal emails.
    I use Outlook.com to sync my contact's and calendar.

The only time I ever feel that Google has "compromised" my privacy by anonymously tracking my free Google searches is when I see ads for a product Google has helped me find useful information about.
    BigBadWulf and xandros9 like this.
    04-08-17 09:58 PM
    This thread will end well. I think I can hear the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEing from the usual suspects over the hills.
    04-08-17 10:01 PM
    The Hub is a BlackBerry offering and only connects to the server of the respective emails added to it, just as on BB10 and legacy BBOS.
    If you want to minimize contact with Google, create an account prior to purchasing a device and head over to https://myaccount.google.com/privacy and lock down that account as you see fit. Be sure to check related links for anything else that concerns you before using it on a new Android device.
    BigBadWulf, john_v and RockyRodger like this.
    04-08-17 10:03 PM
    This thread will end well. I think I can hear the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEing from the usual suspects over the hills.
    Lmao.

Posted with my  Classic
    04-08-17 10:49 PM
    Good point! @FretMadden

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    04-08-17 11:58 PM
    Google actually has a very strict privacy policy. They do not provide any identifying information to any third party.
    04-09-17 12:07 AM
    This should get interesting...

Uh-huh! Foil and popcorn
    04-09-17 12:30 AM
    Well if BB had NOT "teamed up" with Google... we probably would have seen maybe one last BB10 device rather than the Priv, and then that's it. Curtains for BlackBerry's handsets. I doubt TCL would have been interested in producing any new BlackBerry devices if they had to run BB10... and I don't think shareholders would be happy with Chen if he dumped any money in to BB10 and the handset division.
    mvogia likes this.
    04-09-17 12:43 AM
    Google actually has a very strict privacy policy. They do not provide any identifying information to any third party.
    No they do, their TOS is a lie, I read it on Infowars!
    FF22, john_v, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    04-09-17 01:34 AM
    Actually the question it is very well put. I am not critical of Blackberry decision to sell its soul to Google but Google it is not privacy. You should accept that. The fact that some do not care what happens to their information does not mean that everyone should not care.
    When you use a android device you can only limit what Google collects about you. Even the data collecting settings in your account page must be periodically reset. I think it is very wrong to say that an android device is marketed as secure without defining 'secure' or 'privacy'.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-09-17 04:03 AM
    This should get interesting...

http://www.troyhistoricvillage.org/w...-Jiffy-Pop.png

Uh-huh! Foil and popcorn
    What's a cake got to do with anything?😂

(Well , it looks like a cake using the cb app on my priv )
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-09-17 04:18 AM
    This is one of the reasons why I am interested in Android BlackBerry phone even with many people beating the drum. I am still with my Z30 and everything is just fine. I also have Lumia XL 950 whilst waiting to decide on another mobile. I also do not like GMAIL and do not want Google account

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 11:34 AM
    ... I also do not like GMAIL and do not want Google account.
    You do need a Google account to use Google Android, but you don't need to use GMail at all if you don't want to.
    04-09-17 11:44 AM
    Thank you very much; however, I mentioned in my post that I do not want Google account, did you not read that part?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 11:57 AM
    Thank you very much; however, I mentioned in my post that I do not want Google account, did you not read that part?

Posted via CB10
    So no Google Android for you, then.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-09-17 12:04 PM
    Then you don't want to use Google Android.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-09-17 12:04 PM
    Guys wrong place to post such questions. Only fanboys here, BB never do it wrong and Google respects privacy. Laughing a lot here.

Well, about the questions (very interesting ones, actually). Sorry, if you use Android you need to sell your soul to Google. That's the business. No Google account, no Android. No Google spying on you, no Android. Simple like that. Android is the core Google business now, using it without be in touch of them is simply impossible. It's like do not want to be governed by Trump and live on USA. There's no possible way, unfortunately.

And about Android being a "free" OS... Laughing another lot!! Free system and gadgets as expensive as iPhones, then? BB forbidden to use it freely on its BB10 OS? Got it! :lol:

So, Tamashek and OP, sorry but if you do care about your privacy you continue to use BB10 or believe in Apple when they say repeatedly they do not compromise your privacy (hard to believe, too). Welcome to the internet not-so-new Era.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    04-09-17 12:10 PM
    I suggest in the future, you read my whole post before posting to me. I said I do not want Android, I do not want Google account or Gmail. Yet, you continue to post what I already said

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 12:32 PM
    I suggest in the future, you read my whole post before posting to me. I said I do not want Android, I do not want Google account or Gmail. Yet, you continue to post what I already said

Posted via CB10
    Understood.

But to be fair, as I wrote earlier, Google does respect your privacy. No identifying information is given to any third party, and the data is secured behind advanced firewalls that Google spends tens of millions a year hardening.

There is no secret agenda. Google is upfront that your data is used to provide and enhance services to the user, and to provide targeted advertising.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-09-17 12:42 PM
    If you want to believe what Google said about privacy or respecting privacy, you'd better do your research on Google and you will get eye full. You are free to believe Google but don't expect everyone to do so just because you believe they do

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 12:55 PM
    If you want to believe what Google said about privacy or respecting privacy, you'd better do your research on Google and you will get eye full. You are free to believe Google but don't expect everyone to do so just because you believe they do

Posted via CB10
    There is a lot of oversight with respect to what Google is doing. Their whole business model would collapse overnight if they became flippant with users' data.

DTEK60 / Z30
    04-09-17 01:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    You said you were interested in a GooBerry. They responded to that.

This is one of the reasons why I am interested in Android BlackBerry phone even with many people beating the drum. I am still with my Z30 and everything is just fine. I also have Lumia XL 950 whilst waiting to decide on another mobile. I also do not like GMAIL and do not want Google account

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 01:08 PM
    To Bigbadwouf, it was typo. My. Apologies. I meant to say I wasn't interested in Android. If you read you would have noticed

Posted via CB10
    04-09-17 01:14 PM
137 123 ...