What happens if I logout of Google playstore and stay out? And disable google updates and reset any google updates back to Original? Would that allow a google-free experience?

An alternate option would be to ignore all BlackBerry /android, grab a rootable phone instead. Or, go for sailfish on Sony xperia.

Or windows phone...

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    03-18-17 02:39 AM
    I'm not sure you'll ever get it to be 100% Google free.

You should be able to reduce your use of Google services though.
    Do you even have to login to the phone at all?
    Assuming you do have to login, then you will want to disable auto backups to Google. There are also a number of preinstalled Google apps which can be disabled (although not uninstalled).
    You'll then likely want a 3rd party app store. Amazon's is probably your best bet.
    Of course, by this point I'm beginning to wonder what exactly you are getting over using BlackBerry 10? The main advantage being support for Google Play, and Google Play Services.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-17 02:29 PM
    I personally see nothing on google store that I need that I can't just get from amazon or apkpure.com.

For that reason, I am fine with my passport. I would be interested in the keyone, but I just can't see how, based on my usage habits, it would be a significant enough improvement over ppse to justify $550, close to $600 with taxes.

03-18-17 07:30 PM
    If you don't think the hardware is worth the upgrade cost, don't buy it. Killing everything Google won't change that opinion.
    03-18-17 07:43 PM
    I personally see nothing on google store that I need that I can't just get from amazon or apkpure.com.
    Just know that most alternative app stores are not authorized (the app authors aren't even the ones putting their apps up, and many apps are hacked, some maliciously - and there is no malware checking going on). Google at least works hard to keep their store safe, and the actual developers who wrote the apps are the ones supplying the apps there.

Using alternative app stores is a HUGE security (and, therefore privacy) risk, so keep that in mind. It's the "Wild, Wild West" out there...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-17 07:56 PM
    I think what you want is BlackBerry 10.
    03-19-17 12:02 AM
    I think what you want is BlackBerry 10.
    Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me, too.

It's like going to the beach but not wanting to get any sand on yourself.

If you want a completely Google-free experience, simply don't get an Android device.
    03-19-17 12:09 AM
    I've got one of each type of OS phone already. At least.

I'm just trying to brainstorm up various contingencies for how I choose to use them.

There is no perfect solution. There are just... different options.

Sadly, in this world, money talks, and the app ecosystems are a reflection of that. The phone itself becomes secondary. Whatever ecosystem provides the most of what people want will be the one that succeeds.

Personally, I could probably do okay with a combo of one feature phone and one ipod touch as daily devices. They would be light, barely noticeable in my pocket, and pretty darn rugged. But that's just one point of view, and a very uncommon one at that.

03-19-17 03:36 AM
    Hi, you probably want this: https://copperhead.co/android/
    03-19-17 07:56 AM
    Just know that most alternative app stores are not authorized (the app authors aren't even the ones putting their apps up, and many apps are hacked, some maliciously - and there is no malware checking going on). Google at least works hard to keep their store safe, and the actual developers who wrote the apps are the ones supplying the apps there.

Using alternative app stores is a HUGE security (and, therefore privacy) risk, so keep that in mind. It's the "Wild, Wild West" out there...
    Good advice.
    That is why I recommended using Amazon. They should be fairly reputable.
    BlackBerry even pre-installs it on BlackBerry 10.
    Also some third party app stores will probably have apps that use Google Play Services (which I don't think the OP wants). Amazon's store should be Google Play Services free since it is mainly targeted at Amazons own line of devices, which don't include Google Play.
    03-20-17 12:00 PM
    Yes, maybe I should start using my Fire phone again.

Another option would be to just buy a phone from China. No google at all.

But I think the firephone is a better idea.

03-20-17 07:43 PM