Today Google duo crossed over 500k downloads. Definitely could happen for sure. What I don't understand is how the BlackBerry apps are still at 100 K downloads? Yes I know Priv sales weren't great but it's now approaching a year and I find it very hard to believe that downloads are still at 100K. And if they are then time for BlackBerry to pack it in with hardware.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-18-16 07:00 PM
    BlackBerry stopped trying to compete in the consumer market sometime ago. What matters to BlackBerry now is can they get to point where they are not losing money on hardware. Their main interest in hardware is in using it to support software subscriptions from government and enterprise customers. Any other sales are a bonus.
    08-18-16 08:16 PM
    BlackBerry stopped trying to compete in the consumer market sometime ago. What matters to BlackBerry now is can they get to point where they are not losing money on hardware. Their main interest in hardware is in using it to support software subscriptions from government and enterprise customers. Any other sales are a bonus.
    What does that have to do with anything? They still made the devices and still are trying to sell them whether it's for enterprise or not. Any way you slice it, their apps still show 100 K downloads. And if it's software and subscriptions they are looking for, that number should have still moved a bit since allowing their suite on other devices. Sure it hasn't been long but still.

08-18-16 08:54 PM
    What does that have to do with anything? They still made the devices and still are trying to sell them whether it's for enterprise or not. Any way you slice it, their apps still show 100 K downloads. And if it's software and subscriptions they are looking for, that number should have still moved a bit since allowing their suite on other devices. Sure it hasn't been long but still.

Obvious answer here is that it still shows only 100k downloads because that's all there's been? Just because BlackBerry have released their apps for other devices doesn't necessarily mean that every man and his dog are rushing out to download them. I would bet the majority of android users wouldn't even know they are available in the first place, and if they do, they probably can be bothered installing, changing the set-ups of their phones.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    08-24-16 06:42 AM
    Those aren't exactly accurate, probably just to give the user general idea

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 06:52 AM
    Obvious answer here is that it still shows only 100k downloads because that's all there's been? Just because BlackBerry have released their apps for other devices doesn't necessarily mean that every man and his dog are rushing out to download them. I would bet the majority of android users wouldn't even know they are available in the first place, and if they do, they probably can be bothered installing, changing the set-ups of their phones.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    You are missing the point. I wasn't talking about the release to other devices. This number has been the same since a month after the launch of the Priv and the apps come proaded on their own android devices. So have they only sold 100k android devices since last November? If that's ase then it's time to pack it in.
    FYI, Google duo or whatever is now over 5 million downloads.

08-25-16 10:49 PM
    I'd take it to mean that there actually have been less than 100K total android device sales. The Priv has been a good product, but it didn't break into the consumer consciousness (price and lack of confidence in BB). Chances are that the DTEK50 will see more sales, but that will not be reflected in the Play Store numbers for a while.

As has been pointed out already, this does not matter so much. It is a little worrying to BB users, but the company may not care a whole bunch as their strategy is moving them further and further away from the handsets market.
    08-27-16 10:24 PM
    I'd take it to mean that there actually have been less than 100K total android device sales. The Priv has been a good product, but it didn't break into the consumer consciousness (price and lack of confidence in BB). Chances are that the DTEK50 will see more sales, but that will not be reflected in the Play Store numbers for a while.

As has been pointed out already, this does not matter so much. It is a little worrying to BB users, but the company may not care a whole bunch as their strategy is moving them further and further away from the handsets market.
    Less then a 100K Privs sold in nearly a year?

08-28-16 03:06 PM
    Less then a 100K Privs sold in nearly a year?

The point is that we don't know. If you assume that the BB software downloads on the Priv count to the Play Store download numbers then yes, the numbers mean that there were fewer than 100K Privs sold. There's a chance that a lot of people never updated the BB suite of software, accounting for some 'missing' Privs. I doubt that they account for more than another 100K users, though.
    08-28-16 04:29 PM
    The point is that we don't know. If you assume that the BB software downloads on the Priv count to the Play Store download numbers then yes, the numbers mean that there were fewer than 100K Privs sold. There's a chance that a lot of people never updated the BB suite of software, accounting for some 'missing' Privs. I doubt that they account for more than another 100K users, though.
    The point is that number has not changed since a couple of weeks after the Priv launch. Something doesnt add up

08-28-16 04:38 PM
    The point is that number has not changed since a couple of weeks after the Priv launch. Something doesnt add up

Agreed! Still, what does Google have to gain from freezing the count on the downloads? Until there's evidence that the numbers have been frozen or tampered with, I will go with the hypothesis that those numbers reflect the number of Privs that have been sold and had their BlackBerry software updated through the Play Store.
    08-28-16 04:51 PM
    Sounds reasonable, priv launched here in south Africa, cellc has already stopped carrying it , Vodacom got it ridiculously cheap at the moment so they look like they trying to dump it and MTN still have it at a premium price.

I don't think blackberry are doing well with sales, I honestly and realistically think blackberry sold about 100 000 privs.

Take into consideration it's form factor and it's uniqueness and crappy price, I'd say it's about right.

08-31-16 04:22 PM

It seems if an app is preloaded on devices it doesn't count as an install. So basically privs and dteks aren't counted in the download numbers because the apps came on the devices in their factory rom. So Google play downloads is inaccurate for counting how many androids BlackBerry sold.

Some links to help clarify

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/05/...ownloads/#gref

http://m.androidcentral.com/ask-ac-h...pp-really-have
    08-31-16 06:25 PM
    This is the correct answer!

It seems if an app is preloaded on devices it doesn't count as an install. So basically privs and dteks aren't counted in the download numbers because the apps came on the devices in their factory rom. So Google play downloads is inaccurate for counting how many androids BlackBerry sold.
    08-31-16 08:27 PM