Blackberry Android is poviding the so called "DTEK"-Software. Something that should help to protect your privacy.

However, I can't take this too serious as long as it does not show if an app needs the right to access the internet, or if you cannot block this right.

In theory it doesn't really mather if your app can read your contacts, sms, dial history etc. as long as it doesn't want to connect to the internet.
    Still not every app nowadays should need internet access. 3rd party dialers, contact managers, stop watches, etc... They all don't really need internet. So, for a privacy guard it would be important to show if an app tries to access the internet or not.
    anon(10218918) and gizmo21 like this.
    01-10-18 08:20 AM
    Completely agree. DTEK would become a truly amazing application if they incorporated a Firewall which would allow for specific control of application network connections.
    01-10-18 05:03 PM
    This is actually an Android limitation. Out of all the permissions in android apps, they are always granted internet access. This is to serve ads.

If you'd like the option to stop an app from accessing the internet, amongst others, Huawei, Xiaomi, and I believe Samsung have more aggressive and dedicated permissions settings.
    01-10-18 05:13 PM
    On a phone with root you could use AFWall.
    On a phone without root you could use NetGuard which will block apps with an VPN-trick. So if you really want it, you find some ways.
    01-10-18 05:52 PM
    Indeed, however because we can't root a blackberry, the only one that works is Netguard. I use this app and its fantastic. Sadly you can't use a proper VPN simultaneously. So you can be secure, or private but never both on a Blackberry.

If BB refuses to allow root access so we can install AFwall, then I would love to learn if they could improve DTEK to include a firewall function, while leaving free the VPN service.
    01-10-18 06:47 PM
    Well at the very least, disable background data for the apps you are concerned about. At least they wouldn't be able to access the internet unless you are actively using the app.
    01-10-18 07:51 PM
    I think that option only covers Mobile Data. If on wifi then it doesn't affect it.
    01-10-18 08:15 PM
    I think that option only covers Mobile Data. If on wifi then it doesn't affect it.
    Correct.
    01-11-18 02:06 AM