Hello,

So I decided to give the XDA method of disabling system applications a try on my Key2.

https://www.xda-developers.com/disab...tware-android/

Here is the shortcut to the post below which outlines what can be disabled:
    https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13383176

I had my doubts, but it appears to be working, even after a reboot!

So far, everything I have to tried to disable, has been disabled.

Apps I've disabled thus far include:

Dual Services App - very excited about this one. It definitely appears to be disabled because if I try to access the Apps & Notifications menu and click on Dual Apps, it crashes back to the main Settings screen.

Blackberry Diagnostics
    Blackberry DDT Checkin
    Qualcomm Telemetry
    Qualcomm QDMA

What's interesting is the Settings-> App info interface shows the app as being disabled, but I can't manually enable it, its greyed out. To re-enable, must use the same method via ADB.

They caution they might re-enable automatically over time, or after a new update. Time will tell if this is the case on the Key2.
    UPDATE: Installed a new OS update - everything I disabled is still disabled. Nothing has re-enabled itself. The only thing I haven't been able to disable is Android Webview.

I tried the other method they describe about uninstalling system apps, but that gave me an error.

I'll continue to monitor Netguard to see if the connection attempts have truly stopped from these system apps.

If they re-enable themselves, I'll keep everyone posted.

Update: Here is the link to the Uninstall method which works on the Priv, but not the Key1 or 2
    https://www.xda-developers.com/unins...t-root-access/

Update 2: I tried to reinstall a package on the Priv using the install command described in the XDA article. Unfortunately it keeps coming back with an error, saying I need the UID.

So for anyone uninstalling apps on the Priv, just be prepared you may need to do a factory reset if you want those apps back. Or use an APK extractor to backup the system app so you can try re-installing it later. I just tested this with one of them and it worked.

For the Key 1 and Key 2, Apps can be re-enabled as described in the XDA article without issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Disabling System Apps - XDA Method-screenshot_20190417-100251.jpg   Disabling System Apps - XDA Method-screenshot_20190417-100323.jpg  
    Last edited by chetmanley; 12-23-19 at 09:17 PM.
    gouger05 and Sbatushe like this.
    04-17-19 09:06 AM
    What about the keyboard app? It is now a system app...how is it affected?
    04-17-19 09:56 AM
    What about the keyboard app? It is now a system app...how is it affected?
    It looks like that can be disabled manually from within the device App Info menu. I like the BB keyboard so I haven't tried disabling it.

This method is for system apps that cannot be disabled normally (The button is greyed out).
    04-17-19 10:00 AM
    It looks like that can be disabled manually from within the device App Info menu. I like the BB keyboard so I haven't tried disabling it.

This method is for system apps that cannot be disabled normally (The button is greyed out).
    Yes, it can be disabled but it re-enable itself automatically. Thanks for replying.
    04-17-19 10:01 AM
    Yes, it can be disabled but it re-enable itself automatically. Thanks for replying.
    Oh, I didn't know that. In that case, this method might permanently disable it?
    04-17-19 10:02 AM
    Oh, I didn't know that. In that case, this method might permanently disable it?
    I have no idea. I was wondering if that's the case and whether the capacitive keypad continue to work despite the app being disabled which may be a workaround for users that suffer from erratic keyboard performance.
    04-17-19 10:06 AM
    I have no idea. I was wondering if that's the case and whether the capacitive keypad continue to work despite the app being disabled which may be a workaround for users that suffer from erratic keyboard performance.
    I tried disabling it on my Key1 manually using the standard App menu just now. The keyboard still types, but loses all capacitive functions and predictions.

However the shortcuts still work since I think that is taken care of by the launcher.

I haven't tried disabling it on my Key2 yet, but on the Key1, it doesn't appear to reactivate itself. I just tried a reboot and it's still disabled.
    Vistaus and RK_BB like this.
    04-17-19 10:19 AM
    I tried disabling it on my Key1 manually using the standard App menu just now. The keyboard still types, but loses all capacitive functions and predictions.

However the shortcuts still work since I think that is taken care of by the launcher.

I haven't tried disabling it on my Key2 yet, but on the Key1, it doesn't appear to reactivate itself. I just tried a reboot and it's still disabled.
    Got it! Thank you.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-17-19 10:23 AM
    I've since disabled the following:

com.qualcomm.qti.autoregistration
    com.tcl.TctRFM
    com.tcl.TctTelecomrecord
    com.android.carrierdefaultapp
    com.google.android.gmsintegration
    com.blackberry.dm

Phone still runs... Will report back with any developments.
    04-17-19 11:34 AM
    Number of XDA folks use to do detailed list of the services that can be turned off and what they are for.... usually device specific, but some servers are not.

Phone still runs... doesn't mean that everything you want working is working.
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-17-19 12:02 PM
    Number of XDA folks use to do detailed list of the services that can be turned off and what they are for.... usually device specific, but some servers are not.

Phone still runs... doesn't mean that everything you want working is working.
    But it's the most important step. As I use the phone I'll be able to tell if anything is negatively impacted but as it stands, the phone still works.

I selected those apps because their names imply some sort of telemetry.
    04-17-19 12:09 PM
    Be careful if / when disabling default system keyboard. Can lead to serious login issues.
    04-17-19 12:13 PM
    Be careful if / when disabling default system keyboard. Can lead to serious login issues.
    I was worried about that too. That's why I tried it on my Keyone, but the phone appeared to fall back to some android default which still allowed the physical keyboard to type normally, which is good.
    04-17-19 12:17 PM
    I was worried about that too. That's why I tried it on my Keyone, but the phone appeared to fall back to some android default which still allowed the physical keyboard to type normally, which is good.
    Could be because hardware keyboard has its own listing in the Android system menu. Even if you disable your virtual keyboard app on a BlackBerry, you should still be able to key in your password as long as it doesn't use any special characters that aren't native to the physical keyboard itself.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    04-17-19 01:50 PM
    I tried the Disable method on the Priv. Unfortunately it doesn't work. It comes back with "Error: Java.lang.securityException: permission denial: attempt to change component state from pid=24524, uid=2000, package uid=10037

Looks like the Priv may have an additional security feature enabled that the Keyone and 2 don't have on.

Update: I decided to try the Uninstall command recommended by XDA, expecting it to not work, but it actually did!

The app still appears in the app list, but rather than saying disabled, it says "not installed for this user" and shows the 0.0kb of memory used.

In Netguard, the "uninstalled" apps are no longer visible and disappear as soon as the uninstall command is entered in ADB. Just as the XDA article states, the app is uninstalled for the user, but it's still in the system and can be restored if req'd.

So in summary:

On the PRIV:
    To disable system apps which normally can't be disabled - try the Uninstall command:

“adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 <name of package>”

IMPORTANT: Use an APK extractor app (I recommend APK Extractor Lite v2.8 https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/bestfr...e-2-8-release/ unfortunately the v3.0+ has ads now)to backup system apps before uninstalling. This will allow you to reinstall them normally later.

On the KeyOne and Key2:
    The Uninstall command doesn't work, but the disable command does

"adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 <package_to_disable>"
    Last edited by chetmanley; 05-08-19 at 08:34 PM.
    Sbatushe likes this.
    04-18-19 10:37 PM
    Here is how an "Uninstalled" system app appears on the Priv
    Attached Thumbnails Disabling System Apps - XDA Method-screenshot_20190419-094513.jpg   Disabling System Apps - XDA Method-screenshot_20190419-094413.jpg   Disabling System Apps - XDA Method-screenshot_20190419-094523.jpg  
    gouger05 likes this.
    04-19-19 08:47 AM
    Updated Dec 26, 2019

This list is more applicable to the Key1 and 2 than the Priv because the Priv has fewer / different packages.

First - What not to disable:

Don't disable Android System - obvious really but I tried it for science. While the phone will continue to work fine, it will be bricked once your restart it. Requires a full wipe autoloader to bring it back to life after that.

org.codeaurora.ims Do not disable this, it is required to acquire IMS (VoLTE, Wifi Calling APN settings. I wouldn't disable the other codeaurora packages either that deal with Bluetooth)

com.blackberry.arda Do not disable this. This package allows for modifying Cellular radio, IMS, and GPS settings by the user. It can be accessed by using the Chairlock app from F-Droid.

Android Webview can't be disabled with this method on the Key 1 or 2. I haven't tried deleting it on the Priv. Really no reason to disable it.

I'll first list the main apps you want to disable if you want to stop Qualcomm and Blackberry Telemetry:

QDMA: com.qualcomm.qti.qdma (Qualcomm Telemetry)
    StatManQDMA: com.qualcomm.qti.smq (Qualcomm Telemetry)
    TelemetryJService: com.qualcomm.qti.haven.telemetry.service (Qualcomm Telemetry)

LocationServices: com.qualcomm.location (You will loose GPS capability, but it appears to control connections to the IZAT XTRA cloud which sends back telemetry. One way to control this is with a Firewall (block 99% of the time, until your GPS stops working, then allow it to get a constellation update - I would consider clearing it's cache before doing so to limit what is sent back to qualcomm). This one is discussed further below in the Qualcomm section.

I tried deleting com.qualcomm.location.XT on the Priv (this doesn't exist on the Key series), and it causes the Location Settings page to crash when opened under device settings. I had hoped that it would be a good way to stop IZAT communication, but it seems to kill Location services also.

Blackberry Bug Reporter: com.blackberry.ddt.bugreporter
    Blackberry Diagnostics: com.blackberry.ddt
    com.blackberry.ddt.checkin
    com.blackberry.dm
    (Killing these will stop Blackberry Hub+ Services from sending back it's collective telemetry to the ccl server)

If you want to kill all connections to TCL, then disable these:

Preview: com.blackberrymobile.aota
    Updates: com.tcl.ota.bb
    (I can't confirm if these send back telemetry or not. They are called up if you search for new updates, but periodically call up TCL servers in the background). If you never get OTA updates and use Autoloaders, then these apps aren't required and may save some battery due to their continued connection attempts.

-----

Here is the complete list of system apps I've been able to safely disable using the XDA ADB method. (This doesn't include other systems apps I've disabled normally directly on the device like Google Play etc)

Android:

Android Accessibility Suite: com.google.android.marvin.talkback
    Android Easter Egg: com.android.egg
    Android Setup: com.google.android.setupwizard
    Basic Daydreams: com.android.dreams.basic
    CaptivePortalLogin: com.android.captiveportallogin (This might affect login at hotels/public hot spots - still testing)
    Carrier default app: com.android.carrierdefaultapp
    Carrier Services: com.google.android.ims (No affect on IMS - Wifi Calling or VoLTE)
    com.android.backupconfirm
    com.android.backuptokenagent
    com.android.wallpaperbackup
    com.android.carrierconfig
    com.android.cts.ctsshim
    com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim
    Companion Device Manager: com.android.companiondevicemanager
    Device Configuration: android.autoinstalls.config.blackberry.venice
    Device Setup: com.google.android.apps.work.oobconfig
    Google Sample Home Screen: com.google.android.gmsintegration
    Live Wallpaper Picker: com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
    Trusted Face com.android.facelock

MusicFX com.android.musicfx (From what I understand, this is for the sound mixer in Google Music, I've disabled that app so I also disabled MusicFX)

Qualcomm:

com.qualcomm.qti.biometrics.fingerprint.service (Key2 only - despite the name, it actually doesn't affect the fingerprint scanner)
    Device info: com.qti.qualcomm.deviceinfo (Reads out info like IEMI, IMSI, CELLID, etc. no affect to disable and doesn't affect About Phone Menu)
    SeempJService: com.qualcomm.qti.seemp.service
    com.qualcomm.qti.autoregistration (Some think this has to do with telemetry also)
    TelemetryJService: com.qualcomm.qti.haven.telemetry.service (Qualcomm Telemetry)

com.qualcomm.qti.ims Although this is also related to IMS, it can be disabled without affecting it. It appears to be redundant.
    com.qualcomm.qti.ipa
    com.qualcomm.qti.uim
    com.qualcomm.qti.optinoverlay
    com.qti.qualcomm.datastatusnotification
    com.qualcomm.qti.uceShimService (RCS Service)
    com.qualcomm.embms (LTE Broadcast https://www.qualcomm.com/media/docum...per-by-idc.pdf )

If you want to disable GPS location completely, then disable:

LocationServices: com.qualcomm.location (This one is required for the device to pull GPS constellation data. Without it, the phone wont get a GPS lock). Unfortunately, it also sends back your location and other device telemetry (including WIFI and cell locations) back to Qualcomm. Connections are made via the Android GPS Daemon (Can't be disabled)

Fused Location: com.android.location.fused (From what I understand, this is used for when you lose a GPS signal. It provides your last known position to apps. It likely has a hand in Wifi and Bluetooth location processing also but not sure.
    When using ADB`s Dumpsys location command, It appears that if com.android.location.fused is disabled, then com.qualcomm.location takes over for fused location services.

Blackberry:

Power Center Storage: com.blackberry.providers.batterycenter (I also have Power Center disabled - dont use it)
    Blackberry Bug Reporter: com.blackberry.ddt.bugreporter (Blackberry Telemetry)
    Blackberry Diagnostics: com.blackberry.ddt (BB Telemetry)
    com.blackberry.ddt.checkin (BB Telemetry)
    com.blackberry.dm (BB Telemetry)

com.blackberry.cellular.ims.provider (These two relating to IMS (Wifi Calling, VoLTE) can be disabled without impacting IMS setup or function.)
    com.blackberry.cellular.ims.daemon
    com.blackberry.deviceconfig (Once the device is first configured, this should no longer be required. It has a permission related to the TCL Preview app called Preview_Install and a strange permission listed as com.ts.permission.CAMELEONDATA_READ... not sure what that is about.)

com.blackberry.resources (Sole purpose of this app is to provide BB EULA, Warranty and FCC info to the About Phone page under settings. If disabled, those pages will either disappear or simply no longer open. If these are accessed, the app calls up blackberry.com to pull the documents)

As an aside - I was able to disable DTEK on the Keyone and com.blackberry.bide which is supposed to be a package allowing developers to leverage DTEK`s abilities. After a reboot, there were no issues detected. Just interesting that it could be disabled. I haven`t tried deleting it on my Priv.

TCL:

Slide Show (Magic Lock): com.tct.magiclock (Key 2 only - wallpaper picker for lock screen. Once disabled, the setting is removed from the Settings -> Display screen

com.android.tct.autogregister
    Telecom Record: com.tcl.TctRFM and com.tcl.TctTelecomRecord
    Preview: com.blackberrymobile.aota (This no longer appears to remain disabled on the Key2, but worth a shot. Okay on Key1)
    Updates: com.tcl.ota.bb (Removes the System update screen from Device settings)

Dual Services App: com.vapp.aide.intl and com.vapp.aide.intl.arm64 (Doesn't remove the Dual app option from the settings screen, but clicking it will crash back to main settings screen)

Temp Control: com.tct.tempcontrol - I've disabled this one. It isn't present on the KeyOne and appears to be redundant. For an idea of what it does, see here: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13474909

If my phone explodes I'll be sure to update the thread.

---------------

My goal was to reduce, if not eliminate unnecessary background connections and telemetry being sent by system apps. Up til now, Netguard firewall was blocking these connections, but now the offending apps are disabled.

Before, Netguard was constantly blocking TCL, Blackberry and Qualcomm connections, but now the only system connections being made are to timing update servers. I'm still tracking down the exact app responsible for that one (I suspect com.qualcomm.timeservice even though it doesn't have it's own internet permission)

Cheers
    Last edited by chetmanley; 12-26-19 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added com.blackberry.deviceconfig
    moosbb, elfabio80, bblinky and 3 others like this.
    04-29-19 06:51 PM
    Fascinating post. Thanks for all the testing.
    chetmanley likes this.
    05-03-19 07:50 PM
    It's been a couple weeks so I thought I'd provide an update with some findings.

Don't disable Android System - obvious really but I tried it for science. While the phone will continue to work fine, it will be bricked once your restart it. Requires a full wipe autoloader to bring it back to life after that.

Android Webview can't be disabled with this method on the Key 1 or 2. I haven't tried deleting it on the Priv. Really no reason to disable it.

I'll first list the main apps you want to disable if you want to stop Qualcomm and Blackberry Telemetry:

LocationServices: com.qualcomm.location (You will loose GPS capability, but it appears to control connections to the IZAT XTRA cloud which sends back telemetry. One way to control this is with a Firewall (block 99% of the time, until your GPS stops working, then allow it to get a constellation update - I would consider clearing it's cache before doing so to limit what is sent back to qualcomm). This one is discussed further below in the Qualcomm section.

Blackberry Bug Reporter: com.blackberry.ddt.bugreporter
    Blackberry Diagnostics: com.blackberry.ddt
    com.blackberry.ddt.checkin
    com.blackberry.dm
    (Killing these will stop Blackberry Hub+ Services from sending back it's collective telemetry to the ccl server)

If you want to kill all connections to TCL, then disable these:

Updates: com.tcl.ota.bb
    (I can't confirm if these send back telemetry or not. They are called up if you search for new updates, but periodically call up TCL servers in the background). If you never get OTA updates and use Autoloaders, then these apps aren't required and may save some battery due to their continued connection attempts.

-----

Here is the complete list of system apps I've been able to safely disable using the XDA ADB method. (This doens't include other systems apps I've disabled normally like Google Play etc)

Android:

Android Accessibility Suite: com.google.android.marvin.talkback
    Android Easter Egg: com.android.egg
    Android Setup: com.google.android.setupwizard
    Basic Daydreams: com.android.dreams.basic
    CaptivePortalLogin: com.android.captiveportallogin
    Carrier default app: com.android.carrierdefault app
    Carrier Services: com.google.android.ims
    com.android.backupconfirm
    com.android.backuptokenagent
    com.android.wallpaperbackup
    com.android.carrierconfig
    com.android.cts.ctsshim
    com.android.cts.priv.ctsshim
    Companion Device Manager com.android.companiondevicemanager
    Device Configuration android.autoinstalls.config.blackberry.venice
    Device Setup: com.google.android.apps.work.oobconfig
    Google Sample Home Screen: com.google.android.gmsintegration
    Live Wallpaper Picker com.android.wallpaper.livepicker
    Trusted Face com.android.facelock

MusicFX com.android.musicfx (From what I understand, this is for the sound mixer in Google Music, I've disabled that app so I also disabled MusicFX)

Qualcomm:

com.qualcomm.qti.biometrics.fingerprint.service (Key2 only - despite the name, it actually doesn't affect the fingerprint scanner)
    Device info: com.qti.qualcomm.deviceinfo
    SeempJService: com.qualcomm.qti.seemp.service
    com.qualcomm.qti.autoregistration

If you want to disable GPS location completely, then disable:

LocationServices: com.qualcomm.location (This one is required for the device to pull GPS constellation data. Without it, the phone wont get a GPS lock). Unfortunately, it also sends back your location and other device telemetry (including WIFI and cell locations) back to Qualcomm. Connections are made via the Android GPS Daemon (Can't be disabled)

Fused Location: com.android.location.fused (From what I understand, this is used for when you lose a GPS signal. It provides your last known position to apps. It likely has a hand in Wifi and Bluetooth location processing also but not sure.

Blackberry:

Power Center Storage: com.blackberry.providers.batterycenter (I also have Power Center disabled - dont use it)
    Blackberry Bug Reporter: com.blackberry.ddt.bugreporter (Blackberry Telemetry)
    Blackberry Diagnostics: com.blackberry.ddt (BB Telemetry)
    com.blackberry.ddt.checkin (BB Telemetry)
    com.blackberry.dm (BB Telemetry)

TCL:

Slide Show (Magic Lock): com.tct.magiclock (Key 2 only - wallpaper picker for lock screen. Once disabled, the setting is removed from the Settings -> Display screen

com.android.tct.autogregister
    Telecom Record: com.tcl.TctRFM and com.tcl.TctTelecomRecord
    Updates: com.tcl.ota.bb (Removes the System update screen from Device settings)

Dual Services App: com.vapp.aide.intl and com.vapp.aide.intl.arm64 (Doesn't remove the Dual app option from the settings screen, but clicking it will crash back to main settings screen)

---------------

My goal was to reduce, if not eliminate unnecessary background connections and telemetry being sent by system apps. Up til now, Netguard firewall was blocking these connections, but now the offending apps are disabled.

Before, Netguard was constantly blocking TCL, Blackberry and Qualcomm connections, but now the only system connections being made are to timing update servers. I'm still tracking down the exact app responsible for that one (I suspect com.qualcomm.timeservice even though it doesn't have it's own internet permission)

Cheers
    Even though I personally have no desire to de-google my Android phones, I do find all telemetry studies fascinating and very informative. Just wanted to compliment.
    chetmanley likes this.
    05-03-19 09:14 PM
    Even though I personally have no desire to de-google my Android phones, I do find all telemetry studies fascinating and very informative. Just wanted to compliment.
    Download and run the Exodus app on your device. It's quite informative.
    05-03-19 09:30 PM
    Download and run the Exodus app on your device. It's quite informative.
    I feel like you're setting me up for an Upton Sinclair, The Jungle moment.
    05-03-19 09:47 PM
    I feel like you're setting me up for an Upton Sinclair, The Jungle moment.
    We can all use a punch in the stomach from time to time.
    05-03-19 09:56 PM
    some spend a lifetime dreading sticky floors...
    05-04-19 12:53 PM
    Today netguard caught an app I had previously disabled using this method which had somehow been reactivated.

I'm not sure when, but possibly after I installed the latest Sept autoloader a couple days ago.

The app in question is the TCL "Preview" app com.blackberrymobile.aota

Netguard caught it trying to contact equipment.tclclouds.com/80 and aota-blackberry.tclclouds.com/443

Going to disable it again and will report back if I see any others re-activate themselves.
    Last edited by chetmanley; 09-22-19 at 01:08 PM.
    09-22-19 12:53 PM
    Yep. Never disable system keyboards
    10-24-19 02:29 PM
47 12