Prime Day Deals:FireTV Stick $15 | Echo Dot $23
    Is there any possibility to disable startup apps in BlackBerry Android?

I know in some Android devices, rooting the device enables this possibility...

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    01-21-17 11:26 AM
    No, but you can boot into safe mode. Similar to Windows. No third party apps will be loaded.
    01-21-17 11:35 AM
    Which defeats the purpose...

01-21-17 04:02 PM
    Which defeats the purpose...

Depends what your purpose is.
    01-21-17 04:06 PM
    Depends what your purpose is.
    Conite, what apps are we talking about. Someone said that on BlackBerry / Android you could turn off all the installed software (bloatware) and run it similar to stock Android. Is that not true? I thought on Android you could turn off any start up apps or is this just like a Samsung phone where they force you to root it to reclaim resources?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 05:57 PM
    Conite, what apps are we talking about. Someone said that on BlackBerry / Android you could turn off all the installed software (bloatware) and run it similar to stock Android. Is that not true? I thought on Android you could turn off any start up apps or is this just like a Samsung phone where they force you to root it to reclaim resources?

Posted via CB10
    You still need a launcher and an email client. BlackBerry Android is as thin as it gets. Lean and functional.
    01-21-17 08:05 PM
    You still need a launcher and an email client. BlackBerry Android is as thin as it gets. Lean and functional.
    Then once a user starts to install apps, it becomes bloated.

Not being able to make changes to boot apps doesn't sustain it from being lean.

Or we can go back to the ways of BB10, no apps.

01-22-17 07:41 AM
    Then once a user starts to install apps, it becomes bloated.

Not being able to make changes to boot apps doesn't sustain it from being lean.

Or we can go back to the ways of BB10, no apps.

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do.

If you don't want an app to run, then why do you have it installed at all?
    Ronindan likes this.
    01-22-17 08:39 AM
    If there is an app you don't like you can disable it. All that does delete the app and stores the apk file if you want it back. Not all apps can be disabled however b/c core apps like Gmail, BB Launcher are needed for basic usage of the phone.
    01-22-17 08:53 AM
  10. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    why I don't like this? Yeah. android will kill blackberry 10

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 09:01 AM
    There's a difference between running an app and having it run during startup. I want to run the app when I want, not when the developer decides by putting it in the startup procedure.

Is there anything wrong with optimising performance on a device? It's like optimising Windows-based apps...

01-22-17 10:25 AM
    I believe there are apps hugs cans do that if that's the case
    01-22-17 10:43 AM
    I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do.

If you don't want an app to run, then why do you have it installed at all?
    Sorry but that's kind of a dumb question. People may want an app to use when they choose but not run in the background all the time sucking up system resources or battery. But I guess that is the nature of the Android beast. This is the reason people Root their devices and give permissions as they see fit to what they want or need.

I'm still on the fence to whether I am going to get an BlackBerry /Android or just Android and root it when the time comes to move over

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 12:39 PM
    If you turn off background cellular data, and set the app permissions correctly, you can get close to what you want to achieve.
    Android is Linux, not windows, so memory resources are not an issue. When you open an app it loads, when Android needs the resources, and you aren't using the app, Android will close it, it won't open again till you open it. I'm sure there are crappy apps that don't follow those rules, but you don't want something that poorly written, (or maybe intentional, to collect data) on your phone anyway.
    01-23-17 07:31 AM
    Hello Conite, this is an example of what I'm referring to.
    http://wccftech.com/how-to-fix-andro...-drain-issues/

You can find info on Lollipop as well and I'll bet it continued into the up coming. I'm not sure why this is such a mystery to some? I know I've heard this on many podcasts also so why do you continue to protest? Now it may not be just one per say but the Android system allows the app to take advantage of the resources exponentially. This is my understanding and experience.
    I would also like to note that the iPhone 7 runs fine on only 2gb of RAM so then why would manufactures push 6 gb's of RAM as a feature if not needed but to only drive up cost?
    01-23-17 11:06 PM
    Hello Conite, this is an example of what I'm referring to.
    http://wccftech.com/how-to-fix-andro...-drain-issues/

You can find info on Lollipop as well and I'll bet it continued into the up coming. I'm not sure why this is such a mystery to some? I know I've heard this on many podcasts also so why do you continue to protest? Now it may not be just one per say but the Android system allows the app to take advantage of the resources exponentially. This is my understanding and experience.
    I would also like to note that the iPhone 7 runs fine on only 2gb of RAM so then why would manufactures push 6 gb's of RAM as a feature if not needed but to only drive up cost?
    "Memory drain is caused because of poorly coded apps or apps that require immense amount of RAM to function properly."

This has no impact if you stick with reputable, well coded apps. If you see an app running away with your resources, delete it.

BB10 can also allow rogue apps to interact poorly with the system - just ask Nemory Studios.
    The_Passporter and PHughes like this.
    01-23-17 11:26 PM
    Just because it's Linux based doesn't mean optimisation isn't needed. Sysadmins are there for a purpose. Heck, even Linux desktops require some tweaking. That said, a mobile phone's resource is still far more limited than a normal PC.

Deleting an app because it's not coded well is an extreme measure which most common users will not subscribe to. As if people knows what's good software code?

01-24-17 05:50 AM
    "Memory drain is caused because of poorly coded apps or apps that require immense amount of RAM to function properly."

This has no impact if you stick with reputable, well coded apps. If you see an app running away with your resources, delete it.

BB10 can also allow rogue apps to interact poorly with the system - just ask Nemory Studios.
    Ok well perhaps I was presumptuous in thinking it was all android and if there is issues I did read that it could be due to the fact that Android wasn't ideally intended to have Samsung's TouchWiz or HTC's Sense on top running more services over. I swear I did hear on my podcasts that it was an issue not sure what was the root cause specifically. It may be my experience with Samsung that tarnished my experience so I will keep an open mind.

I have been trying to find the opportunity to discuss this with you but many of the threads are being closed. I was ready to PM you lol. I know you are more tech savvy than I so I try not to but heads too hard and find my info first UT I was truly under the impression that is was an outstanding issue and can find sources on the web that discuss it.

Thanks for the reply and enjoy the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    Wezard likes this.
    01-24-17 07:17 AM
    Deleting an app because it's not coded well is an extreme measure which most common users will not subscribe to. As if people knows what's good software code?
    I definitely wouldn't know if it was good software code. But not hard to figure out what is squandering all your resources - and that app is history!
    If people insist on hanging on to bad apps, then they will just have to accept that their phone will run badly.
    And some resource hungry apps will work pretty well if set up properly, Face Book is an example - most of the time. I've had to take it off my phone twice, and once I read that they have fixed it, I reinstall.
    01-24-17 10:24 AM
    As far as Facebook goes, I did not have it installed on iPhone or Android for that reason. I used a webpage bookmarked and saved on my homescreen
    BB10 is the first OS that ran well enough to manage it and use it as intended until it wasn't intended any longer lol

Posted via CB10
    Wezard likes this.
    01-24-17 02:38 PM
    And some resource hungry apps will work pretty well if set up properly, Face Book is an example - most of the time. I've had to take it off my phone twice, and once I read that they have fixed it, I reinstall.
    Facebook is fixed since about December. It had some trouble about two weeks ago, caused by some server related issues, but that has been fixed within that day.
    01-24-17 05:04 PM
    Facebook is fixed since about December. It had some trouble about two weeks ago, caused by some server related issues, but that has been fixed within that day.
    Non the less you save lots not having that one installed and use the web page I would think still with all the permissions it wants. Just heard on Tech News Today with Jason Howell that Facebook even knows what your battery % is so that's not what I call a good app.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-24-17 at 07:56 PM.
    01-24-17 05:46 PM
    Ok well perhaps I was presumptuous in thinking it was all android and if there is issues I did read that it could be due to the fact that Android wasn't ideally intended to have Samsung's TouchWiz or HTC's Sense on top running more services over. I swear I did hear on my podcasts that it was an issue not sure what was the root cause specifically. It may be my experience with Samsung that tarnished my experience so I will keep an open mind.

I have been trying to find the opportunity to discuss this with you but many of the threads are being closed. I was ready to PM you lol. I know you are more tech savvy than I so I try not to but heads too hard and find my info first UT I was truly under the impression that is was an outstanding issue and can find sources on the web that discuss it.

Thanks for the reply and enjoy the conversation.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, touchwiz was part of the reason why android got a lot of bad press about lag. Samsung being the best seller android phone, it became the image of Android. It got better over time, but it's still nowhere near stock Android.

Also battery drain may be the cause of small bugs in different apps. each bug is small by itself, but when combined with other apps,it will start to add up.That's why it's important to get your apps updated. A lot of updates are the "bug fixes and performance improvements"kind of updates, but those are just as important as the updates that add features.

As a developer myself, if someone tells me his software has no bugs,it's either:
    1. the program is very very very simple
    2. he hasn't found the bugs yet
    01-26-17 12:09 PM