Though the subject of device lag (more specifically with the KEYone) comes across the forum in different ways, the issue may very well boil down to very few reasons, most of which can probably be resolved by the user.

Before sending the device for repairs or even going through the hussle of a full wipe, there are few recommended steps to be taken which were proven to speed things up by many users here, myself included

In many cases lag issues are simply a result of an app that though may work as intended by its developer, has an adverse effect of causing a lag since it require an Accessibility Service. There is a very large number of apps, some of which are from reputable developers such as LastPass that require this service; though this part of the OS (Settings\Accessibility\Services) was designed for a specific purpose, many app developers use it as a "backdoor" in order to gain access to areas which are otherwise restricted. For example, this is how LastPass is able to AutoFill passwords; this is how Button Mapper is able to remap navigation buttons, convenience key and PKB buttons to perform some of the desired actions, and so on.

A user may not even know that they have an app that use an Accessibility Service as it was enabled during the app setup process and then forgotten; this is why a device wipe followed by reinstall is not always the solution to the lag as the same settings will be recreated upon completion of setup. The same goes for sending the device for repairs of course.

The inherent lag with using an Accessibility Service is detailed here and it's important to understand that it is not an OS bug, rather it's a feature: https://www.xda-developers.com/worki...ility-lag/amp/

Here are some recommended steps to be taken whenever one starts experiencing delays:

1. Turn Off all Accessibility Services here: Settings\Accessibility\Services

2. Files Diet: delete any unnecessary files, specifically ones received in messaging apps such as WhatsApp. If you don't want to delete then move them over to a cloud file server.

3. App Diet: go through your apps and remove any apps that you are not using frequently as they may be working on the background without much control.

4. Clear cache here: Settings\Storage\Cached data.

5. Hold the power button for 32 seconds, then release and allow the device to restart.

6. Boot into Safe Mode which screens out most non-essential apps on loading. Steps described by @FF22 in post # 5 below: https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13176407

If the delay continues the next step is a full device wipe; use ONLY the preloaded apps and test the device for a couple of days; start adding your apps one by one as you continue to test and be mindful of apps that require Accessibility Service. If you start experiencing lags remove the last app installed and continue to test. It is possible that an app doesn't require Accessibility Service though it is still causing delays for other reasons.

If this procedure helped to resolve your lag, be mindful of your cache! It will have to be cleared every now and again, probably as soon as you hit 1 GB. Unfortunately, unless you installed an app (not recommended!) there is no way for the system to automatically clear it.

If none of the above help there may be a hardware issue!

The above is just my experience. I am using a KEYone SE which as we know isn't really a powerhouse though I have absolutely zero lags since I performed the above steps.

Looking forward to hearing your experience!
    Last edited by RK_BB; 04-24-18 at 11:36 PM.
    04-24-18 08:37 PM
    1. Turn Off all Accessibility Services!
    The process to do this would be a help, similar to what you posted on step 4.
    04-24-18 09:40 PM
    I suggest a Step 6: Boot into Safe Mode which screens out most non-essential apps on loading.
    04-24-18 09:52 PM
    I suggest a Step 6: Boot into Safe Mode which screens out most non-essential apps on loading.
    Good idea! Can you please share how it's done?
    04-24-18 09:54 PM
    Good idea! Can you please share how it's done?
    Sure.

Do a normal press and hold of your phone's power button until Android prompts you to turn off your phone

Next, hold the Power off menu prompt/option (the actual line of text) for a few seconds until your phone asks you to confirm that you want to enter safe mode.

This option may reset your home screen(s) and app icon layout and widgets - erasing icons and widgets (they remain available in the app drawer).
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    04-24-18 09:59 PM
    Sure.

Do a normal press and hold of your phone's power button until Android prompts you to turn off your phone

Next, hold the Power off menu prompt/option (the actual line of text) for a few seconds until your phone asks you to confirm that you want to enter safe mode.

This option may reset your home screen(s) and app icon layout and widgets - erasing icons and widgets (they remain available in the app drawer).
    Steps added!
    04-24-18 11:37 PM
    The process to do this would be a help, similar to what you posted on step 4.
    Done!
    04-24-18 11:37 PM
    I am seeing users complain about device lag after May security update.

It is highly recommended that cache is cleared immediately after after any such update (as mentioned several times by @conite), that is of course in addition to any steps indicated in the original post.
    05-19-18 11:06 AM
    In post # 106 to the thread l linked below the developer explain how Accessibility Services slow down / 'freeze' the device.

This is another example that shows what effect an Accessibility Service can have on UX, as explained earlier in this thread, by design.
    /blackberry-keyone-f445/launchers-cause-problems-keyboard-issues-1137656/
    05-30-18 08:39 PM
    My 1-month old KEYONE Black Edition is intensely laggard.
    “BlackBerry launcher is not responding | close | wait” message. Same message for Chrome, Hub, Phone, Twitter, and all other apps. This after clearing cache, and restart, and after a 32 second power button hold. Once restart happens, the box,circle triangle cycle goes on for well over 10 minutes.
    Something is really messed up here. What a piece of garbage! Anything I can do to get it to work again???
    06-01-18 03:20 PM
    My 1-month old KEYONE Black Edition is intensely laggard.
    “BlackBerry launcher is not responding | close | wait” message. Same message for Chrome, Hub, Phone, Twitter, and all other apps. This after clearing cache, and restart, and after a 32 second power button hold. Once restart happens, the box,circle triangle cycle goes on for well over 10 minutes.
    Something is really messed up here. What a piece of garbage! Anything I can do to get it to work again???
    Unless your device is defective, its age' has nothing to do with the lag.

Often times its an app that causes the lag; I highly recommend to follow the steps described in the 1st post.

This should help you to isolate the issue.
    06-01-18 03:26 PM
    OK, well....I did a factory reload. Did not add any apps other than what came with factory load. Did a restart after clearing cache. “Blackberry launcher is not responding | Close | Wait”. Same for Contacts, Phone, Hub, Camera, Calendar, Chrome, etc.
    Before the May 5 update, keyONE was swift and smooth. Handset has not been dropped or otherwise damaged.
    Problems started 29 May around 1300 hours EDT. I believe the latest update was loaded on/around 25 May. I feel the problem is centered in the latest update.
    06-04-18 09:52 AM
    OK, well....I did a factory reload. Did not add any apps other than what came with factory load. Did a restart after clearing cache. “Blackberry launcher is not responding | Close | Wait”. Same for Contacts, Phone, Hub, Camera, Calendar, Chrome, etc.
    Before the May 5 update, keyONE was swift and smooth. Handset has not been dropped or otherwise damaged.
    Problems started 29 May around 1300 hours EDT. I believe the latest update was loaded on/around 25 May. I feel the problem is centered in the latest update.
    This is very strange.
    @conite we need you here.
    06-04-18 10:20 AM
    If
    Somehow the software got corrupted. Sounds like an autoloader is in order.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    06-04-18 10:41 AM
    Well again...I did a reload with the auto loader following instructions to the letter.
    After the restart, I got Process not responding, and Google Play Store is not responding, along with some other “not responding indications. As an example, a native app, the camera, takes several minutes to come up, and when it does it does so in steps.
    Clearly this update is seriously defective.
    06-11-18 03:20 PM
    Well again...I did a reload with the auto loader following instructions to the letter.
    After the restart, I got Process not responding, and Google Play Store is not responding, along with some other “not responding indications. As an example, a native app, the camera, takes several minutes to come up, and when it does it does so in steps.
    Clearly this update is seriously defective.
    Edit: “Camera unavailable”
    06-11-18 03:21 PM
    If Somehow the software got corrupted. Sounds like an autoloader is in order.

06-19-18 05:23 PM
    If Somehow the software got corrupted. Sounds like an autoloader is in order.

ABA676 downloaded and installed. Problem persists. This after doing a re-load of AAY819. Clearing cache as well. No success.
    06-20-18 08:25 AM
    Just adding my $.02 below:

So, you removed all of those apps that you never use (there were more than you thought, right?), what next? Well, those apps that you rarely use could probably be deleted too, but there is always that "what-if" scenario when you just might need it on the rare occasion. So leave it if you must, but keep it from running in the background every time you start your phone:

Open Power Center
    Tap on Manage automatic apps
    And simply switch off the apps that you do not want opening automatically in the background.
    (You may have to experiment if there are any apps that don't function well with this setting. Some apps you may need to keep them starting up with your device).

An easy suggestion is just reboot your phone more than once a week. Give it a nice fresh start! It will thank you.
    06-21-18 08:40 AM
    If you have to jump through hoops like this just to make a cell phone run in 2018, then that cell phone is a piece of crap.

For the record, after suffering with the lagginess for a year, my K1 finally broke and I sent it in for service. In the meantime, I got myself a Galaxy S9+. I've been using it for the past month or so while the K1 is getting its screen replaced.

And the verdict is, my silver K1 is a piece of crap. This S9+ is how things should run.

Maybe Android overall is just a hot mess, and requires gobs of hardware to run. OK, fine--that doesn't absolve the phone maker itself from the obligation not to take that hot mess of an OS and turn it into a crappy phone.
    Denver Kole likes this.
    06-29-18 04:36 AM
    ok just my 2 cents worth of advice
    I just installed all apps from apkmirror.com (launchers, beta-programs etc) and my Keyone runs like a steroid! no more lagging, no more issues, just quick. before this I tried reset, 32-second reset, cache-removal, different apps, etc but nothing seemed to help. just look critically at your apps and remove any app which should not be there.
    07-01-18 03:37 AM
    If you have to jump through hoops like this just to make a cell phone run in 2018, then that cell phone is a piece of crap.

For the record, after suffering with the lagginess for a year, my K1 finally broke and I sent it in for service. In the meantime, I got myself a Galaxy S9+. I've been using it for the past month or so while the K1 is getting its screen replaced.

And the verdict is, my silver K1 is a piece of crap. This S9+ is how things should run.

Maybe Android overall is just a hot mess, and requires gobs of hardware to run. OK, fine--that doesn't absolve the phone maker itself from the obligation not to take that hot mess of an OS and turn it into a crappy phone.
    Watch it bruh, you're not supposed to be that critical in this forum. So much truth in your post, though.
    Last edited by genghiskhan-11; 07-02-18 at 03:03 PM.
    07-02-18 11:43 AM
    Just got my Keyone a few weeks ago and really, really want to hold onto it but have also done all the tips mentioned and am still experiencing endless circles of lag - unless I restart the device (3-4x a day now!). Down to a bare minimum of apps, no accessibility services, cleared cache at least 2x day, 2 resets, dev animation option to .5 you name it I've done it. I really hope Blackberry fixes this or I'll finally move on - even without a beloved physical keyboard.
    07-08-18 05:51 PM