Google seem to start enforcing Accessibility Services, an area of the OS that is used by many apps to create automation and use the OS in ways that are otherwise impossible.

For example, many users here use All In One Gestures to invoke all kinds of actions from the screen edges. This app will soon be removed from the store (to name a few), or at least that's what it seems like.

Source:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/333365/and...uld-disappear/
    11-17-17 09:31 AM
    True enough. Although the apps will still exist - they just won't be found on the official Play Store.
    11-17-17 09:33 AM
    Moderator:

Please update this thread's title to this:

Creating a Better UX with Android Play Store Apps will soon be axed!

Not sure why I messed that up!
    11-17-17 09:48 AM
    True enough. Although the apps will still exist - they just won't be found on the official Play Store.
    Is it your sense that they will stick around in android app stores other than Google Play Store, ie. apkmirror , androiddrawer etc., and live on with development or just fade away? The hugely popular Nova Launcher may end up as a splintered app. Conforming, watered-down app existing in the GPS and a full functioned version in alternate app stores. How do you think this may play out?
    11-17-17 09:51 AM
    Is it your sense that they will stick around in android app stores other than Google Play Store, ie. apkmirror , androiddrawer etc., and live on with development or just fade away? The hugely popular Nova Launcher may end up as a splintered app. Conforming, watered-down app existing in the GPS and a full functioned version in alternate app stores. How do you think this may play out?
    Hard to say.

Not being able to publish to Google Play Store is obviously a big hit to the developers, but I'm sure they will find alternate ways to not waste the efforts already in sunk into the projects.
    11-17-17 10:25 AM
    Reason why hardware will never evolve is software. As long as it is like it is we are doomed to nothing but plain slabs. Whatever you want to achieve or do with hardware you are will be obstructed by software.

Let's say you want to do all slab but have one hardware square button that is a screen as well buts it's clickable and can display anything you want it to display but it can also be a seamless part of the whole screen. Button like that would really be awesome for quick actions within apps like Create New Message, so imagine firing up WhatsApp and the crappy circle + button on a side suddenly becomes nicely animated physical button. Great idea, impossible to implement because OS itself doesn't allow you to access those controls within apps and reskin them in anyway.

Think of the possibilities if apps were just data that could have been reskinned with CSS just like any modern website. Adapting software could allow hardware to evolve. If this was an option KeyOne could have had actions assigned to hardware keys from factory to all major apps. They could have moved app headers to be footers so your finger doesn't travel a lot from keyboards, etc.
    11-17-17 10:51 AM
    Reason why hardware will never evolve is software. As long as it is like it is we are doomed to nothing but plain slabs. Whatever you want to achieve or do with hardware you are will be obstructed by software.

Let's say you want to do all slab but have one hardware square button that is a screen as well buts it's clickable and can display anything you want it to display but it can also be a seamless part of the whole screen. Button like that would really be awesome for quick actions within apps like Create New Message, so imagine firing up WhatsApp and the crappy circle + button on a side suddenly becomes nicely animated physical button. Great idea, impossible to implement because OS itself doesn't allow you to access those controls within apps and reskin them in anyway.

Think of the possibilities if apps were just data that could have been reskinned with CSS just like any modern website. Adapting software could allow hardware to evolve. If this was an option KeyOne could have had actions assigned to hardware keys from factory to all major apps. They could have moved app headers to be footers so your finger doesn't travel a lot from keyboards, etc.
    You could lobby Google to make changes to Material Design guidelines - which they update from time to time.

But you must also understand that standards must be maintained across devices for the sake of developers and external gear. Otherwise, chaos would rule, and the platform would be very difficult to support.
    11-17-17 01:47 PM
    You could lobby Google to make changes to Material Design guidelines - which they update from time to time.

But you must also understand that standards must be maintained across devices for the sake of developers and external gear. Otherwise, chaos would rule, and the platform would be very difficult to support.
    Makes sense, so with that in mind, in your opinion how will it be possible to create an efficient UX that allows app switching more productively? That's mostly what I am interested in; basically an efficient experience that allows me to quickly toggle between apps, go back specific apps without needing to click my way around 10 time etc. I think you know what I mean...
    11-17-17 04:46 PM
    Makes sense, so with that in mind, in your opinion how will it be possible to create an efficient UX that allows app switching more productively? That's mostly what I am interested in; basically an efficient experience that allows me to quickly toggle between apps, go back specific apps without needing to click my way around 10 time etc. I think you know what I mean...
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Android is no different from BB10 in that respect. BB10 is swipe to task switcher, and then tap on the app. Android is tap to task switcher and then tap on the app.
    11-17-17 04:56 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Android is no different from BB10 in that respect. BB10 is swipe to task switcher, and then tap on the app. Android is tap to task switcher and then tap on the app.
    Yes and gesturing is probably easier in that respect which Android at some point might go for given the recent Apple developments.

More specifically, what I was referring to I guess is an efficient and intuitive way to go back to Hub (for example) from every screen. In order to do that now the user needs to employ an app that surely needs the access that Google will soon ban. Do you think there will be another way to efficiently go back to a chosen screen or app (more specifically Hub) without having to scroll through Recent, realizing that RAM management closed the app, going back to the home screen, tapping the app drawer (in case the app in question is not on the user's home screen), looking for the app and finally invoking it....!
    11-17-17 05:05 PM
    Yes and gesturing is probably easier in that respect which Android at some point might go for given the recent Apple developments.

More specifically, what I was referring to I guess is an efficient and intuitive way to go back to Hub (for example) from every screen. In order to do that now the user needs to employ an app that surely needs the access that Google will soon ban. Do you think there will be another way to efficiently go back to a chosen screen or app (more specifically Hub) without having to scroll through Recent, realizing that RAM management closed the app, going back to the home screen, tapping the app drawer (in case the app in question is not on the user's home screen), looking for the app and finally invoking it....!
    Google can't ban the access. They can only prevent the offending app(s) from being in the Play Store.
    11-17-17 05:15 PM
    Google can't ban the access. They can only prevent the offending app(s) from being in the Play Store.
    The effect is the same: we will no longer have apps that helps us to do what I described.

My question is, do you think there will be a work around? I guess that's anyone's guess at this early stage of this issue.

Hopefully Google will at some point focus on UX efficiency / productivity.

Nonetheless, I am always interested in your view
    11-17-17 05:18 PM
    The effect is the same: we will no longer have apps that helps us to do what I described.

My question is, do you think there will be a work around? I guess that's anyone's guess at this early stage of this issue.

Hopefully Google will at some point focus on UX efficiency / productivity.

Nonetheless, I am always interested in your view
    The workaround is simply to get it from the developer's website or another store/repository.

Otherwise, we will just have to stick with Google's version of the UX.
    11-17-17 05:21 PM
    The workaround is simply to get it from the developer's website or another store/repository.

Otherwise, we will just have to stick with Google's version of the UX.
    Bummmmmmmer!
    11-17-17 05:31 PM
    I suspect the manufacturers will continue to create their own, and support them through their own updates. 3rd party apps like Nova, will most likely find a home on XDA, like MiXplorer and others do now.
    11-17-17 11:14 PM
    Password Keeper is among the affected as it uses Autofill as Accessibility service like LastPass.
    Perhaps only Oreo users will get that feature in the future :
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11...ity-app-purge/
    11-18-17 01:07 AM
    12-08-17 05:28 PM