In response to the article "BlackBerry survey shows consumers don't trust connected devices to keep their data secure" (https://crackberry.com/blackberry-su...ir-data-secure), I have decided to share this information with everyone - there is an app you can install on your Android device, that can block ads and trackers (yes, even within apps themselves) called DNS66. As a user of that app, I can tell you that it absolutely works. It's not available on Google Play Store, though, since an app like this will kill a part of Google's revenue stream - the majority of ads on websites and those shown within Android apps are hosted and run by Google.

If you see a small, triangular icon on an ad with the same shape as the Google Play icon, that has a lower-case "i" in it, then you know that's an "Ad by Google." (I attached a picture of this icon to this post.) Avoid clicking on these ads, or even clicking on the "X" to close it, because all this activity by you is being tracked, and Google is profiting off of your tracked behavior.

Anyway, on to the solution... DNS66. In a nutshell, it blocks *selected* domains from being able to even interact with your Android device, by employing hosts lists. If you're familiar with the PC program HostsMan, DNS66 essentially does the exact same thing. It's relatively easy to use - the only settings you may want to tinker with on the app are which domain-blocking lists to employ ("Hosts"). Besides that, all you have to do is press the "Start" button. Easy, right? (If DNS66 interferes with the functioning of an app, you can always disable DNS66 for that particular app by going to the "Apps" menu.)

Note: DNS66 may not always start up upon device reboot. You may have to press that "Start" button after restarting/turning on your device. Make sure the slider for "Resume on system start-up" is set to the on position. Despite this, however, there's no guarantee that DNS66 will start upon reboot.

You can download DNS66 via F-Droid (an app store much smaller that the Google Play Store, which I recommend installing), sideload it, or download it directly from this link: https://f-droid.org/repo/org.jak_linux.dns66_20.apk

Prior to installing DNS66 (and F-Droid, if you so choose), you have to allow the installation of apps from external sources. On Android OS 6.0.1 (which I have installed) and some others, you can do this by going to Settings --> Security --> Unknown sources and switching that slider on. You'll also have to do this any time you install an app not found on the Google Play Store.

To find out more about F-Droid, go to https://f-droid.org

To download F-Droid to your Android device directly, click on this link: https://f-droid.org/FDroid.apk
    Attached Thumbnails Block ads and trackers on your Android device!-170355.jpg  
    Last edited by sj10689; 01-16-19 at 07:09 AM.
    01-16-19 06:46 AM
    It's one of the better non root local vpn apps out there - can create white and black list. There is a lot of discussion on XDA on it.

But haven't really seen any professional testing of the app...
    01-16-19 11:46 AM
    Just wondering how it compares to Blokada?
    01-18-19 12:29 PM
    Just wondering how it compares to Blokada?
    I started using DNS66 a while back, but switched over to Blokada https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...block-1139409/
    01-18-19 01:59 PM
    I've never heard of Blockada, in spite of research I have done on DNS66 and similar apps - if the reviews are positive enough and there are some clear advantages over DNS66, I might give it a shot. Thanks 😃

P.S. Funny story, actually - I just installed an SMS blocker app today, and saw the Blockada logo without realizing it while searching for an SMS blocker (I typed "block" into the search bar at one point)
    01-20-19 07:10 AM
    I've never heard of Blockada, in spite of research I have done on DNS66 and similar apps - if the reviews are positive enough and there are some clear advantages over DNS66, I might give it a shot. Thanks

P.S. Funny story, actually - I just installed an SMS blocker app today, and saw the Blockada logo without realizing it while searching for an SMS blocker (I typed "block" into the search bar at one point)
    What's an SMS blocker?
    02-02-19 12:56 PM
    Further to this thread, I have discussed my privacy concerns in a post in another Forum (https://forums.crackberry.com/showth...1#post13359777) where I report on using Exodus Privacy to examine how, e.g., BlackBerry Launcher contains two Google trackers in it (Ads, & Firestone Analytics) - see: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/64305/

So, even some of the "secure" BlackBerry apps have Google tracker backdoors in them (have a look on the Exodus web site linked above, or install the Exodus app for an on-device audit and report - it is concerning...).
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-10-19 08:53 AM
    Welcome to Android. Nothing will ever be secure or private. You can thank everyone who just wanted the flashiest newest most expensive toy out at the time who put their privacy concerns aside for the privilege for how big Apple and Android OEMs have gotten. We can't escape the future we've created.
    03-14-19 08:01 PM
    This shows how Chen is committed to privacy....
    03-15-19 01:47 AM
    This shows how Chen is committed to privacy....
    It's thanks to him that we have BlackBerry devices in 2019. Android was the right choice. Too bad it wasn't made sooner. They might have kept up with the big boys.
    03-16-19 02:34 PM
    It's thanks to him that we have BlackBerry devices in 2019. Android was the right choice. Too bad it wasn't made sooner. They might have kept up with the big boys.
    That's irrelevant to the earlier point that some Blackberry apps contain trackers.
    elfabio80 and cyberdoggie like this.
    03-16-19 05:25 PM
    I agree.
    Why does it have to be 100% one way or the other with privacy?
    Why can’t we have a device that has decent security and privacy while still being able to use as we want? Vulnerabilities happen and, unless you’re going to live in a cave with no contact with the outside world, you have to use your common sense when dealing with privacy.
    It seems like I get this with my Key2 LE.
    03-24-19 08:28 AM
    I agree.
    Why does it have to be 100% one way or the other with privacy?
    Why can’t we have a device that has decent security and privacy while still being able to use as we want? Vulnerabilities happen and, unless you’re going to live in a cave with no contact with the outside world, you have to use your common sense when dealing with privacy.
    It seems like I get this with my Key2 LE.
    Right but sometimes common sense it is not enough. How many times come telephones with junk app preinstalled or with dubious software? Look what happened with HDM for the Nokia conntecting to China or the spam in BBM thanks to Emtek....

It is not only to download or not download some apps, rather the fact that sometimes the smartphone producers sell junk preinstalled....
    03-24-19 08:54 AM
    Right but sometimes common sense it is not enough. How many times come telephones with junk app preinstalled or with dubious software? Look what happened with HDM for the Nokia conntecting to China or the spam in BBM thanks to Emtek....

It is not only to download or not download some apps, rather the fact that sometimes the smartphone producers sell junk preinstalled....
    I understand and I think that needs to be kept an eye on. I only use apps I trust and delete the rest. There will always be some bad guys, through smartphones or other means, that will look to exploit innocent people.
    My question is, how does that affect me in my day to day life? Should I built a moat around my house so it doesn’t get broken into? Doesn’t sound convenient to me.
    My point is we each have to find our sweet spot between having a secure device while also being able to use it for its intended use. That’s my intention anyways.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-24-19 09:07 AM
    That's irrelevant to the earlier point that some Blackberry apps contain trackers.
    And that' been explained - until the apps are paid for, ads are delivered to the apps after a certain period of time. These aren't technically back doors, but maybe side doors. You know they are there when you get them if you see that ads are part of the apps.
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-24-19 11:05 AM
    And that' been explained - until the apps are paid for, ads are delivered to the apps after a certain period of time. These aren't technically back doors, but maybe side doors. You know they are there when you get them if you see that ads are part of the apps.
    Aside from BB LTD's apps (Hub, Contacts etc) which still phone home with usage analytics on top of the ads which are present for non-bb users (these don't affect BB users), TCL's built in system apps contact Facebook and Google and these cannot be disabled (I'm talking about their addition of the Dual Services App)
    03-24-19 11:11 AM
    You pay for BlackBerry Launcher as part of the paying for the Blackberry device. With any other device, you pay a subscription.
    03-24-19 12:52 PM