Just posting the story. Thought it was an interesting read.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...d-upgrade.html
    Last edited by FishhPoohh; 06-29-18 at 11:53 AM.
    06-29-18 11:33 AM
    Do they have a similar article giving Samsung an F since they only started updating their "last year's" flagship to Oreo a month ago? And it's 8.0 at that, not even the more current 8.1.
    duncan86 likes this.
    06-29-18 11:50 AM
    Do they have a similar article giving Samsung an F since they only started updating their "last year's" flagship to Oreo a month ago? And it's 8.0 at that, not even the more current 8.1.
    As of February 2018, yes.

Although, they started rolling out Oreo for S8 in February-March and had a public beta program since November, which is apparently alien to TCL.
    06-29-18 11:56 AM
    I don't know, but the writer has a point. How can you market your devices as security-first when you're 319 days and counting without updating the OS which is technically a huge security and etc update?

I know BlackBerry has always been slow to update their OS. Just take the BB10 OS updates for example. We are how far behind on the last update they promised us????
    06-29-18 11:59 AM
    As of February 2018, yes.

Although, they started rolling out Oreo for S8 in February-March and had a public beta program since November, which is apparently alien to TCL.
    As long as they are fair about it.

Oreo came to my S8 in late May (thanks to AT&T, I'm sure).
    06-29-18 02:21 PM
    funny read. I think I've seen this millennial blogging at the Starbucks down the street.
    06-29-18 02:32 PM
    funny read. I think I've seen this millennial blogging at the Starbucks down the street.
    So, your response to this actually very pertinent article is to hurl personal insults at the author? That completely undermines your credibility.
    Invictus0 and pdr733 like this.
    06-29-18 03:37 PM
    So, your response to this actually very pertinent article is to hurl personal insults at the author? That completely undermines your credibility.
    Actually, he's right. The article is BS, since the blogger attempts to equate OS updates to security, and that's simply not the case. Security is security. I can't blame BB for holding off if it means securing the OS update as much as possible.

The writer of that article is an *****.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-29-18 07:25 PM
    Given at how poor and infrequent my monthly updates are on my carrier unlocked black edition K1, I don't disagree with him. I went from a February patch to May patch. I never received the June update as of June 29th.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-29-18 07:31 PM
    Not at all. I have my own issues with blackberry but I'm smart enough to recognize and uneducated editorial piece written by a person who probably does not have a technical background in anything he WordPresses about and who possibly still lives out of his occupy Wallstreet tent. Maybe I'll take it seriously when he ditches the flip flops and wears a suit to work. A nice blackberry key2 silver edition would complement the look.
    06-30-18 11:56 PM
    Given at how poor and infrequent my monthly updates are on my carrier unlocked black edition K1, I don't disagree with him. I went from a February patch to May patch. I never received the June update as of June 29th.
    Here is the track record for my unlocked KEYᵒⁿᵉ NA (14 updates Jun to Jun):

Jun - Jun 12 - AAL964

Jul - Aug 3 - AAN355

Aug - Aug 14 - AAN517

Sep - Sep 8 - AAO472

Oct - Oct 17/Nov 3 - AAP683/AAQ302(Krack)

Nov - Nov 14/Dec 1 - AAQ837 autoload/OTA

Dec - Dec 16/Dec 22 - AAS212 autoload/OTA

Jan - Jan 12/Jan 22 - AAT166 autoload/OTA

Feb - Feb 25/Mar 2 - AAV119 autoload/OTA

Mar - Mar 19/Apr 3 - AAW377 autoload/OTA

Apr - Apr 24/missed - AAX862 autoload/OTA

May - May 11/May 18 - AAY819 autoload/OTA

Jun* - Jun 14 - ABA676

Plus, BBMo is still ranked third for updates - behind Pixel and the now defunct Essential.
    PHughes likes this.
    07-01-18 12:33 AM
    That's great for those who live in NA or purchased a NA phone.
    07-01-18 06:28 AM
    Not at all. I have my own issues with blackberry but I'm smart enough to recognize and uneducated editorial piece written by a person who probably does not have a technical background in anything he WordPresses about and who possibly still lives out of his occupy Wallstreet tent. Maybe I'll take it seriously when he ditches the flip flops and wears a suit to work. A nice blackberry key2 silver edition would complement the look.
    If the only rhetorical tools you have are insults and invective, then you have nothing productive to say. And, by the way, Computerworld is a major publication going back 50 years, not someone’s personal blog.
    pdr733 likes this.
    07-01-18 07:10 AM
    If the only rhetorical tools you have are insults and invective, then you have nothing productive to say. And, by the way, Computerworld is a major publication going back 50 years, not someone’s personal blog.
    Computerworld absolutely is a major publication. Up on par with CNET.
    07-02-18 12:56 PM
    I also have a BBB100-2 UK unlocked Black Edition. Also went from Feb to May, still on May currently. But so what? I haven't got hacked, and my device runs perfect. When the next security update comes, I'll hit the download button and install it. Same for Oreo. At the end of the day, the overall experience is well worth the inconsistency in updates for some variants. Imo of course.
    07-11-18 05:01 PM
    I also have a BBB100-2 UK unlocked Black Edition. Also went from Feb to May, still on May currently. But so what? I haven't got hacked, and my device runs perfect. When the next security update comes, I'll hit the download button and install it. Same for Oreo. At the end of the day, the overall experience is well worth the inconsistency in updates for some variants. Imo of course.
    Generally, this is very true up until things like WiFi starts breaking and you are told that the next update is the fix.
    07-11-18 07:25 PM
    I don't know, but the writer has a point. How can you market your devices as security-first when you're 319 days and counting without updating the OS which is technically a huge security and etc update?
    Google is still patching Nougat for all identified vulnerabilities. There is absolutely zero evidence that a patched Nougat BlackBerry is any more vulnerable to attack than an Oreo device.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-11-18 08:56 PM
    Google is still patching Nougat for all identified vulnerabilities. There is absolutely zero evidence that a patched Nougat BlackBerry is any more vulnerable to attack than an Oreo device.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Also new version may introduce new vulnerabilities. This is why everyone is trying to run on a stable release proven by time.
    07-11-18 09:03 PM
    Also new version may introduce new vulnerabilities. This is why everyone is trying to run on a stable release proven by time.
    But, but....O is higher than P, so it MUST be more secure!!!

In theory each OS version should improve security, and that's generally true, but in practice all currently supported versions of Android are pretty equal, and newer features, as you say, are more likely to have unknown vulnerabilities.
    07-11-18 09:12 PM
    That's great for those who live in NA or purchased a NA phone.
    Then the issue is your carrier, not Blackberry.
    07-14-18 02:03 PM
    Then the issue is your carrier, not Blackberry.
    No its not. I own a limited edition black K1. They are all unlocked and not tied to my carrier.
    07-14-18 02:13 PM