So I picked up a DTEK50 during the $230 sale. Like many others here this is my first foray into Android. My current daily driver is a Lumia 830 that is held together superglue and 3M tape, literally. I chose the DTEK50 for the security and my affinity for the services and apps I experienced on the Classic. However, it seems like I would be selling myself short by not diving into Google apps and services in lieu of Blackberry's. Not to sound like an early 90's conference room PowerPoint, but there are real benefits gained from the synergy derived from using one ecosystem exclusively. For example, the hub, contacts, calendar, notes, etc. don't live up to my expectations coming from the Classic. The Google apps and services on the other hand compliment each other so well and pack more useful features, not to mention a more appealing and more consistent UI (subjective I know).

What are the community members' thoughts? Do the majority prefer Blackberry or is the majority happier committing to Google?

P.S. The DTEK50 is WAY nicer in the hand than any video or picture lead me to believe.
    11-27-16 12:01 PM
    BlackBerry Services does not substitute for Google Services.

Every Google feature is still available. The HUB is simply a glorified email client. The BlackBerry Launcher is nice and lightweight, but it doesn't prevent you from using any other.

As a matter of fact, BlackBerry Android delivers one of the cleanest, close-to-stock Android experiences there is. Samsung, HTC, and LG are the opposite with all their bloat.
    11-27-16 12:08 PM
    I'm quite satisfied with my DTEK50 with just the BlackBerry apps for mail, contacts and calendar. I don't use the Gmail app or other Google apps except for Chrome and Google Maps. If the Google apps give you what you want, go for it. That's the benefit of the choice you get with Android.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-27-16 12:11 PM
    When you state "BlackBerry Services does not substitute for Google Services", are you implying that the Google services are more feature rich and generally the preferred choice, or are you commenting on their mutual exclusivity, precisely lack thereof? I'm aware that I'm not "locked" into Blackberry simply because their logo is on the back.

I very much agree with your sentiments on the hardware competition, a Blackberry or a Google handset are the only two I would even consider.
    11-27-16 12:18 PM
    When you state "BlackBerry Services does not substitute for Google Services", are you implying that the Google services are more feature rich and generally the preferred choice, or are you commenting on their mutual exclusivity, precisely lack thereof?
    I'm saying they both work simultaneously. You don't give up one for the other.

BlackBerry Services simply provide the backbone to the HUB, Launcher, and some additional BlackBerry flavouring.

Personally, I much prefer the lightweight and productive BlackBerry Android "skin (for lack of a better word)" to pure Android la Nexus.
    ams083 likes this.
    11-27-16 12:20 PM