Hi all.

Which Blackberry software can be installed om a Samsung S8?
    Is it possible to install the OS? The hub? The dtec security software? Other Blackberry apps?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-08-17 01:39 PM
    Whatever Cobalt's got patched, which is the Hub suite + a few other things. DTEK needs the specific BlackBerry spin of the OS, which can't be installed on anything that isn't a BB Android device.
    06-08-17 01:40 PM
    Thanks Thurask.

I read so many issues on the Keyone that I am not sure if I want the BB Mobile hardware...

And support seems bad...
    06-08-17 02:58 PM
    Thanks Thurask.

I read so many issues on the Keyone that I am not sure if I want the BB Mobile hardware...

And support seems bad...
    Do yourself the favour and get the S8 and install the BlackBerry keyboard, what a pleasure to use. I'm using it in my S7 Edge.
    06-09-17 04:09 PM
    Do yourself the favour and get the S8 and install the BlackBerry keyboard, what a pleasure to use. I'm using it in my S7 Edge.
    Thanks for the tip!
    06-09-17 04:24 PM
    I'll second that and the HUB is also very good, better than I thought it would be on Android. I installed Nova Launcher and now just by swiping up on the screen I get the HUB just like on BB10. What a familiar pleasure
    06-23-17 11:28 AM
    Good choice, I did the same (S7 edge that is)! The app edge is a nice (and much improved) stand-in for the BlackBerry productivity tab as well. Just curious...how did you manage to get the BlackBerry keyboard running...is your phone rooted? I am subscribed for the rest of the BlackBerry suite, and I used Cobalt's solution for the keyboard (because I had no other choice) but even then I had to purchase a bloatware disabler to kill off the Samsung keyboard.
    07-08-17 04:22 PM
    There is no other choice. The BlackBerry Keyboard requires code modifications to run on a device other than BlackBerry.
    07-08-17 04:32 PM
    There is no other choice. The BlackBerry Keyboard requires code modifications to run on a device other than BlackBerry.
    Thanks Cobalt. I did mean that in the nicest sense by way, I would prefer to pay BlackBerry for it straight up, but alas they gave me no choice. Looks like a donation is in order!

Any thoughts on why the Samsung keyboard can't be disabled...is it because I need to install the BlackBerry suite keyboard as "other sources" and it doesn't like it for security reasons?
    07-08-17 04:38 PM
    I guess it's because it's a system app and the OS falls back to that keyboard in case of error. It would be bad if you could uninstall all keyboard apps. You would be left with no input method.
    07-08-17 04:50 PM
    I guess it's because it's a system app and the OS falls back to that keyboard in case of error. It would be bad if you could uninstall all keyboard apps. You would be left with no input method.
    Could be part of the reason, but when I only had the Samsung and BlackBerry VKBs installed, the system would not allow me to 'toggle off' the default Samsung keyboard. That means I was unable to actually use the BlackBerry keyboard until I disabled the Samsung one using a disabler app.

On the other hand, when I had Swiftkey installed I was able to toggle off the default Samsung keyboard.

So there is something about the BlackBerry keyboard (via BlackBerry manager) the system either doesn't like or will not recognize until I completely disable the default Samsung keyboard. The only exception is within Knox. I was not able to get the BlackBerry VKB working on the Knox side no matter what, which is what made me suspect it was some sort of security fault that was causing an issue.
    Last edited by panopticon; 07-08-17 at 09:05 PM.
    07-08-17 08:50 PM

Same here.
    07-09-17 02:42 AM
    (Double post...wrong image)
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry software on Samsung S8.-screenshot_20170709-100229.jpg  
    Last edited by panopticon; 07-09-17 at 09:24 AM.
    07-09-17 09:08 AM
    Exactly. Except in my case, I did not want to see the Samsung keyboard pop up...ever. Call me a purist, ha ha.

The only time I see the Samsung keyboard now is prior to boot up because I have it password locked.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry software on Samsung S8.-screenshot_20170709-100308.jpg  
    Last edited by panopticon; 07-09-17 at 11:50 AM.
    07-09-17 09:09 AM
    BB's VKB is really just a modified version of SwiftKey, which BB has clearly licensed for BB devices only. Given that SwiftKey already makes their VKB available in the greater Android ecosystem, they're not likely to let licensees use their tech to compete against them, so they've undoubtedly given BB a license that restricts their use to BB-branded devices.

Cobalt has hacked the BB VKB to run on other devices (which violates the license and ToS, BTW), but it isn't perfect. That's not Cobalt's fault in any way - the fact that it works at all is a testament to his skill and dedication. But it isn't and can't be official, because it would violate BB's license with SwiftKey.
    07-18-17 08:35 PM
    I just installed the BlackBerry suite onto an S8+ and all works fine with the exception that BlackBerry contacts will not launch. Anybody have any ideas?
    07-19-17 06:37 PM
    BB's VKB is really just a modified version of SwiftKey, which BB has clearly licensed for BB devices only. Given that SwiftKey already makes their VKB available in the greater Android ecosystem, they're not likely to let licensees use their tech to compete against them, so they've undoubtedly given BB a license that restricts their use to BB-branded devices.

Cobalt has hacked the BB VKB to run on other devices (which violates the license and ToS, BTW), but it isn't perfect. That's not Cobalt's fault in any way - the fact that it works at all is a testament to his skill and dedication. But it isn't and can't be official, because it would violate BB's license with SwiftKey.
    Obviously not. No knows what the arrangement is between BlackBerry and Swiftkey...you included.
    07-19-17 07:00 PM
    Obviously not. No knows what the arrangement is between BlackBerry and Swiftkey...you included.
    The point is just fine, either swiftkey doesn't want to compete with their own licensed product or blackberry does want their polished minimal swiftkey keyboard only available for their product. Swiftkey has more feature on it and free for all.
    07-19-17 07:34 PM
    The point is just fine, either swiftkey doesn't want to compete with their own licensed product or blackberry does want their polished minimal swiftkey keyboard only available for their product. Swiftkey has more feature on it and free for all.
    Free and completely Google-synced-backed-up the wazoo. And not nearly as good looking.
    07-19-17 08:11 PM
    Free and completely Google-synced-backed-up the wazoo. And not nearly as good looking.
    Agree with you on that, still lack of professional feel but the sync could be disabled under the setting if you want to. It's resizable which is blackberry kb can't do.
    07-19-17 09:03 PM
    I just installed the BlackBerry suite onto an S8+ and all works fine with the exception that BlackBerry contacts will not launch. Anybody have any ideas?
    The new beta version of the Contacts app is not working on Samsung. Upon launch, an illegal argument exception is thrown and the app closes. Clearly looks like a bug to me.
    07-20-17 02:46 AM
    The new beta version of the Contacts app is not working on Samsung. Upon launch, an illegal argument exception is thrown and the app closes. Clearly looks like a bug to me.
    Yes. When I loaded an apk of an earlier version of contacts it loaded and ran just fine.
    07-20-17 03:28 AM
    Salesman!

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    07-20-17 06:08 AM
    Salesman!

Posted by Passport SE killed by Whatsppp
    What am I selling? 😂
    07-20-17 06:21 AM
    Agree with you on that, still lack of professional feel but the sync could be disabled under the setting if you want to. It's resizable which is blackberry kb can't do.
    Yes you can disable it, but you lose the ability to download additional themes...one of which happens to be the all black version that most closely mimicked the BlackBerry VKB. Anyway, still no comparison. BlackBerry wins hands down as far as I am concerned and luckily for me no issues with the screen resolution.
    07-20-17 07:58 AM
29 12