What do you think? BlackBerry must have an allocation of investment for software. From the phone perspective this would include 1) android systems...like updating for nougat/ Oreo by phone ( Keyone, Motion etc 2) updating security patches ) hub services software including the hub, keyboard, productivity tab, camera etc. What is your take on what strategy is best given limited investment money. For me I think security patches should keep first ranking. Then I would put android systems second. Then hub software, especially contacts and calendar. Personally the keyboard software is nice but less important. Same for productivity tab.
    03-13-18 08:31 AM
    Rank it?

I'd say that for Chen and BlackBerry... Android Development is pretty low on their "investment" list. They are a business, and so far the licensing of Android hasn't shown much in the way of revenue potential. Now if TCL grand plans of 10 million phones a year becomes a reality, then of course as they ramp up to those numbers, BlackBerry will invest more. As it is.... they are only spending what is necessary.
    03-13-18 10:18 AM
    Rank it?

I'd say that for Chen and BlackBerry... Android Development is pretty low on their "investment" list. They are a business, and so far the licensing of Android hasn't shown much in the way of revenue potential. Now if TCL grand plans of 10 million phones a year becomes a reality, then of course as they ramp up to those numbers, BlackBerry will invest more. As it is.... they are only spending what is necessary.
    Understood.. But I for one think that while Samsung and Google phones are fine, there is still a huge market there, particularly for quality. If a company doesn't invest it loses. Wait for success and then invest has never worked. When you think that Apple is a trillion dollar company on the basis of a phone.... Lots of room for profitable competition.
    BBeast likes this.
    03-14-18 05:33 PM
    it's also true that we get constant updates on things like the productivity tab or keyboard. my view is these should be shifted to get updates like Oreo. Money better spent.
    03-20-18 03:57 AM