Now, would like to see Chen, and BlackBerry brass take advantage of current industry conditions that infringe on privacy and growing disdain for Android's obsession with personal information, to wrest control of their mobile division and reintroduce the superior BBOS 10 (or 11?) with emphasis on the desire for privacy & security, while finally MARKETING these concerns and the superior aspects of BlackBerry products to the consumer....and bringing these devices to market faster. Also advocate and publicize support for 5G Li-Fi over Wi-fi due to the inherent health risks associated with the latter to show real concern for the consumer. BE FIRST and take initiative to care and do things right, and the customers WILL COME. Strong opportunity presents itself.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    12-13-18 08:39 AM
    Now, would like to see Chen, and BlackBerry brass take advantage of current industry conditions that infringe on privacy and growing disdain for Android's obsession with personal information, to wrest control of their mobile division and reintroduce the superior BBOS 10 (or 11?) with emphasis on the desire for privacy & security, while finally MARKETING these concerns and the superior aspects of BlackBerry products to the consumer....and bringing these devices to market faster. Also advocate and publicize support for 5G Li-Fi over Wi-fi due to the inherent health risks associated with the latter to show real concern for the consumer. BE FIRST and take initiative to care and do things right, and the customers WILL COME. Strong opportunity presents itself.
    BB and Chen exited the consumer market and hardware long ago....
    12-13-18 08:42 AM
    12-13-18 08:49 AM
    There is very little market for this kind of device, as demonstrated by Facebook user numbers going up after the much discussed breaches.

It would cost billions of dollars to redevelop BB10 for modern hardware.

BlackBerry left the hardware business more than two years ago.
    12-13-18 08:50 AM
    Though not a programmer, but a 25-year accounting and I.T professional with understanding of code development, I'm cognizant of possible costs and implications of BB software R&D to re-enter the mobile sector - wouldn't even approach a billion dollars, not to mention plenty of base programming code may already exist that supports Qualcomm components. Hardware and components are outsourced, so this wouldn't be a hardware investment.......and I know of no one amongst friends, family and approx 250 business clients who have used Facebook in 5 years for various reasons - including information liabilities & breaches, which is a fair enough sample size to discredit any credence related to the social forum as a viable information source on which to make business decisions. The need for privacy and security is growing exponentially, and EVERY business needs to be looking at opportunities to take advantage of market/social conditions with potential cost/buy and ROI analytics to generate and maximize revenues. BlackBerry already possesses more than a foothold in the security/privacy arena. Would seem a natural fit, with market saturation of handheld devices being one of the few potential roadblocks. Obviously BB brass has a future agenda, but for many of us long-time and loyal BB users and business executives who possess the experience and wisdom to recognize the mistakes made in BB business execution in recent years, one cannot help and hope that the company might want to rectify the errors if the necessary revenues can be forecast. Its natural business psychology.
    anon(10218918) and elfabio80 like this.
    12-13-18 10:20 AM
    Though not a programmer, but a 25-year accounting and I.T professional with understanding of code development, I'm cognizant of possible costs and implications of BB software R&D to re-enter the mobile sector - wouldn't even approach a billion dollars, not to mention plenty of base programming code may already exist that supports Qualcomm components. Hardware and components are outsourced, so this wouldn't be a hardware investment.......and I know of no one amongst friends, family and approx 250 business clients who have used Facebook in 5 years for various reasons - including information liabilities & breaches, which is a fair enough sample size to discredit any credence related to the social forum as a viable information source on which to make business decisions. The need for privacy and security is growing exponentially, and EVERY business needs to be looking at opportunities to take advantage of market/social conditions with potential cost/buy and ROI analytics to generate and maximize revenues. BlackBerry already possesses more than a foothold in the security/privacy arena. Would seem a natural fit, with market saturation of handheld devices being one of the few potential roadblocks. Obviously BB brass has a future agenda, but for many of us long-time and loyal BB users and business executives who possess the experience and wisdom to recognize the mistakes made in BB business execution in recent years, one cannot help and hope that the company might want to rectify the errors if the necessary revenues can be forecast. Its natural business psychology.
    Hey, that sounds like a great idea! You really should write it up and email it to the BlackBerry Chairman and CEO, copying the members of the Board of Directors. If it meets their investment criteria, I don't see why they wouldn't do it.
    thurask, conite and ppeters914 like this.
    12-13-18 10:31 AM
    I wish it were that easy, and on behalf of many who share the same perspective, I wish their (BB) goals were inline with those previous comments. However, as President of a firm, and understanding the pros/cons of diverse paths considered by those in leadership positions, I can surmise that Chen & Co. considered all options on the table...including the impact of future circumstances. But one cannot help but wonder if the mobility divestiture to TCL was a permanent one, or was the door left open in lieu of the potential for unforeseen circumstances that BB could take advantage of. Interesting.
    12-13-18 12:31 PM
    Why is this topic in the Android section ?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-18 05:02 AM
    There is very little market for this kind of device, as demonstrated by Facebook user numbers going up after the much discussed breaches.

It would cost billions of dollars to redevelop BB10 for modern hardware.

BlackBerry left the hardware business more than two years ago.
    I is not true, that there is no market for this knd of device as demonstrated by Facebook users. Security-orientated people don't use Facebook! So the numbers shown there are irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-18 06:42 AM
    I is not true, that there is no market for this knd of device as demonstrated by Facebook users. Security-orientated people don't use Facebook! So the numbers shown there are irrelevant.

Posted via CB10
    Let me be more accurate then: there is no market large enough to justify the massive investment.
    12-20-18 06:48 AM
    Let me be more accurate then: there is no market large enough to justify the massive investment.
    Not believable. Health services, justice, police, governments, military, waterworks, electricity...There are so much things where secure non-Google or non-Apple communkication is needed.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-18 06:58 AM
    Not believable. Health services, justice, police, governments, military, waterworks, electricity...There are so much things where secure non-Google or non-Apple communkication is needed.

Posted via CB10
    A managed Android or iOS device is plenty secure for over 99.9% of those folks.

I suggest you read up on BlackBerry UEM, or AirWatch.

Anyone above that would use a custom solution anyway.
    ppeters914 and Vistaus like this.
    12-20-18 06:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    It’s not 2010 anymore....
    ppeters914 and Vistaus like this.
    12-20-18 07:25 PM
    Where were all of these customers when BB10 was available? Per Chen, BB needed to sell 10M BB10 phones a year just to break even - and companies don't take all that risk to break even. Note that during its best year, BB10 sold less than 6M phones.

The problem isn't the cost of the hardware - it's the ongoing costs of developing and maintaining the platform, as well as distributing, marketing, and supporting the hardware. BB was able to eliminate 7200 full time jobs by exiting the smartphone business. That's a LOT of money in salaries, benefits, bonuses, and support costs right there.
    Vistaus and ppeters914 like this.
    12-25-18 09:04 PM