Now that BlackBerry Android is basically established, I would assume that BlackBerry could theoretically produce hardware once again. Just learning from history, basically Key3 doesn't have to be completely different from Key2. Upgrade the processor, memory, storage and camera/photography quality should be enough.

For avoiding big losses, an initial market share could be established through crowdfunding.

What do you guys think?

Posted via my lovely  Z30
    05-07-20 11:12 AM
    Now that BlackBerry Android is basically established, I would assume that BlackBerry could theoretically produce hardware once again. Just learning from history, basically Key3 doesn't have to be completely different from Key2. Upgrade the processor, memory, storage and camera/photography quality should be enough.

For avoiding big losses, an initial market share could be established through crowdfunding.

What do you guys think?

Sure. No problem. Just raise several hundred million dollars, and guarantee sales of 5 million units or more every year.

It didn't work in the days of the Priv and DTEKs, which is why they tried to pass the hardware risks off to licencees - all three of which subsequently went on to fail as well.

I think the physical keyboard business is now forever in the hands of the cheap world of kickstarters.
    05-07-20 11:14 AM
    Why would they?

They didn't make any money before.
    Doesn't look like TCL made any money.
    How many of these Crowdsource groups are making "real" money?

In the end it cost too much to keep BlackBerry Android Secure and Applications, development going.... that need a million users as a minimum. A new BlackBerry would have to run on generic Android and Apps, and that would be a risk to the brand. Just no point....
    05-07-20 11:38 AM
    Well, the idea of crowdfunding is just like always: If the funding factor fails, it shows the crowd is either not interested or the pricing is simply not right. Or both.

In that is the case, do NOT start to build the product.

Many crowdfunding projects are failing because of R&D cost. And upgrading "certain hardware only" (I'm not an expert, so I don't know how hard it is) should not cost a lot in comparison to build a not-yet-existing product.

BergerKing likes this.
    05-07-20 11:46 AM
    Well, the idea of crowdfunding is just like always: If the funding factor fails, it shows the crowd is either not interested or the pricing is simply not right. Or both.

Many crowdfunding projects are failing because of R&D cost. And upgrading "certain hardware only" (I'm not an expert, so I don't know how hard it is) should not cost a lot in comparison to build a not-yet-existing product.

They won't don't this because no one currently working there is interested. It's not where they plan to make money. It would be like asking my cardiologist if she'd like to perform an appendectomy. She was trained in general survey, and she could do it, but it's not her specialty and she's not interested.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    ppeters914 and john_v like this.
    05-07-20 12:30 PM

Does the fact that very few people bought any BlackBerry Android devices already speak to market size?

Have you ever seen crowfunding in the hundreds of millions before?
    BergerKing, ppeters914 and john_v like this.
    05-07-20 01:19 PM

BlackBerry already has the sales data that they need...
    ppeters914 and john_v like this.
    05-07-20 01:48 PM
    Key3 doesn't have to be completely different from Key2. Upgrade the processor, memory, storage and camera/photography quality should be enough.
    The second half of this statement contradicts the first half.
    05-08-20 03:22 PM

The idea of crowdfunding is to raise small amounts of capital for small demand size. BlackBerry already proved that demand isn't great enough for the minimum available capital for a customized solution with high minimum costs, even after BB10 and then BBAndroid followed by outsourcing, followed by licensing.

Does anybody really want the Unihertz Titan as the BlackBerry Titan if the only difference is the NAME for an extra $25 or $50 more
    05-08-20 03:54 PM