Hey,

Just checking to see if anyone has experience with Facetime vs BBM Video between a BlackBerry Android phone and an Iphone?

That is one of the hangups of my wife getting the Motion vs an iphone

She wants to Facetime with friends across the country and I told her to use BBM Video with them

But I know from my experience with bbm video on my keyone with a friend's iPhone it has been choppy, but that may have been our connections.

Anyone ever used Facetime? Is it always perfect quality?

Thanks all
    04-24-18 09:58 AM
    Hey,

Just checking to see if anyone has experience with Facetime vs BBM Video between a BlackBerry Android phone and an Iphone?

She wants to Facetime with friends across the country and I told her to use BBM Video with them

But I know from my experience with bbm video on my keyone with a friend's iPhone it has been choppy, but that may have been our connections.

Thanks all
    Facetime only works on iOS and MacOS devices.
    04-24-18 10:28 AM
    Facetime only works on iOS and MacOS devices.
    I think that's why she is considering sticking with an iPhone.
    farmwersteve likes this.
    04-24-18 10:49 AM
    Hey,

Thanks all
    There are many cross-platform options.

BBM is fine, but most people use Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp.

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...ndroid-756190/
    04-24-18 10:49 AM
    Facetime is pretty good most the time.... does depend on the "networks" on both ends and in-between. You aren't alone in your issues with BBM Video calls, just read the recent reviews of BBM in the App Store. And at this point, there is no reason to expect Emtek to put much effort into fixing the BBM/iOS issues.

Getting a group of people to download and learn a "special" app is going to be tough.... if she really wants to be "included", you need to consider an iPhone.
    04-24-18 10:50 AM
    I use Duo for video as I can't use BBM to Video Chat (I'm on BB 10 and he's on Android). I'm using an older Duo version, but it works.

BioDave1955 on BB Z30
    04-24-18 12:01 PM
    thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think the motion is the choice, maybe something as simple as Skype will be the answer
    04-24-18 08:55 PM
    thanks everyone for the feedback.

I think the motion is the choice, maybe something as simple as Skype will be the answer

If she wants to Facetime her friends, why by a Motion?

Yes Skype or a number of other apps might work, if all these other individuals are willing to change for your wife. But if they don't (and most likely won't).... then what?

I'd let her make the decision - Pro for the Motion is the familiarity of the HUB - Pro for iPhone is compatibility with her friends. What's more important to her?
    04-25-18 12:00 PM
    If she wants to Facetime her friends, why by a Motion?

Yes Skype or a number of other apps might work, if all these other individuals are willing to change for your wife. But if they don't (and most likely won't).... then what?

I'd let her make the decision - Pro for the Motion is the familiarity of the HUB - Pro for iPhone is compatibility with her friends. What's more important to her?
    I would argue that all of her friends are very likely to be using Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger anyways.
    04-25-18 12:10 PM
    A HAPPY wife is a good thing..........stick with iPhone and Facetime!:
    04-25-18 12:18 PM
    I would argue that all of her friends are very likely to be using Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger anyways.
    Based on what?

There are some markets where both might be very popular and in use by a good number of users, there are other markets where the average users won't have either.

My guess, is if all her friends are using iPhones... then they are probable in a market like the USA where Messenger Applications aren't as necessary as in other markets.

But yes, if they have another application like those that they already use... that would be an option.
    04-25-18 12:56 PM
    Based on what?

There are some markets where both might be very popular and in use by a good number of users, there are other markets where the average users won't have either.

My guess, is if all her friends are using iPhones... then they are probable in a market like the USA where Messenger Applications aren't as necessary as in other markets.

But yes, if they have another application like those that they already use... that would be an option.
    70% of US smartphone users use Facebook Messenger (60 and younger).

Apple doesn't even own 70% of the US market (about half), so iMessage install base would be significantly less.

In the rest of the world, the Apple install base is less than 13%, so iMessage users would barely register compared to WhatsApp and Messenger.
    04-25-18 01:01 PM
    I use Duo for video as I can't use BBM to Video Chat (I'm on BB 10 and he's on Android). I'm using an older Duo version, but it works.

BioDave1955 on BB Z30
    I second Duo, it's designed to do one thing well and it shows.
    04-25-18 01:04 PM
    70% of US smartphone users use Facebook Messenger (60 and younger).

Apple doesn't even own 70% of the US market (about half), so iMessage install base would be significantly less.

In the rest of the world, the Apple install base is less than 13%, so iMessage users would barely register compared to WhatsApp and Messenger.

I get that Apples install base is less (US or World).... but the OP said that his wife's friends were all using Facetime, so that's a moot point. I'll agree that Facebook Messenger might be the easiest to get them to "convert" too.... if they are using Messenger and they are willing to convert at all. Don't really know of anyone using Facetime for Video calling... so not sure how well it works on iOS.

I think the OP's wife needs to list her priorities from a new smartphone... and see which best fits HER needs. Without expecting others to make changes in their own personal usages.
    04-25-18 03:44 PM
    thanks for the above comments everyone

she is currently using a dtek60. so she is familiar with BlackBerry Android OS

the reason she is updating is the Dtek60 battery is **** and she keeps missing texts and often phone calls go straight to Voicemail, I've tested in the room beside her.

the Facetime video chat BS is likely a better concept than she will actually use.

after hearing all your thoughts and doing some more investigating, there are more than enough cross platform video chats available.

Facetime doesn't warrant the almost double price for an iPhone 8 over a Motion, and the iphone8 has a tiny screen! she would have to go to an 8plus just to keep the screen size she currently has.

Motion makes the most sense.

thanks everyone
    04-25-18 07:09 PM

BioDave1955 on BB Z30
    Which version number of Duo are you using on BB10? Any patching required? I'm curious to know as I've never been able to get it to work between BB10 and an Android?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-18 02:17 AM
    There are many cross-platform options.

BBM is fine, but most people use Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp.

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...ndroid-756190/
    I am living in Dubai . BBM / FB/ Facetime / WhatsApp calling doesnt work as per regulations . The carrier has allowed BOTIM @ a small charge of USD 14/month and it works perfect here.
    04-26-18 10:07 AM
    I am living in Dubai . BBM / FB/ Facetime / WhatsApp calling doesnt work as per regulations . The carrier has allowed BOTIM @ a small charge of USD 14/month and it works perfect here.
    It would seem far cheaper for everyone to have a VPN service.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-26-18 10:11 AM
    SPHS. lol, I just looked at today's price, dang, not a bad day!
    was tied up all day and never had a chance to check prices, but seem to make time to come here and check in, so yeah, a nice surprise on Sphs today!
    04-26-18 08:12 PM