I was going to put this in the BBM section but I decided to place this in the BlackBerry Android OS instead.

I'm still using BlackBerry 10 (Z30). Still using BBM with about 60 people.

Over time I have seen many of my contacts leave OS6-7 and BB10 and go to either IOS or Android.(both BlackBerry and non BlackBerry).

Initially they install BBM but over a short period of time they stop using it and revert back to just pain texting.

Reasons they give me range from, BBM doesn't work, no one uses it, texting is easier, BBM is old technology...

I don't understand why anyone would revert to straight text message when there are so many choices of apps that have many more features. It's like going back in time. I use many features within BBM like glimpse, Dropbox. Ping, location sending, verify send and read..... can't do that with texting.

My question is, how many of you have the same experience? Or. How many of you have reverted back to just text?

I just think it either people are following the masses or just don't want to use the features. Maybe it's using a BlackBerry product that's an issue... it's equivalent to wearing last year's style in clothes...

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 09:07 AM
    Personally, 99.9% of my text messages are two step login codes. I used to use BBM but have since switched to Telegram exclusively. Frankly, compared to other messenger apps, I don't blame them for dropping BBM.
    08-17-17 09:13 AM
    For many of us texting just works fine. It's fast, it's easy. You can do group conversations.

In Canada cell plans have included unlimited texting for a long time, meaning that it's very available and FREE.

CROSS-PLATFORM is also a factor: texting is the ULTIMATE cross-platform app - every phone has it.
    It's also old enough that when I had a FLIP PHONE (Motorola?) I was able to text my kids who had BBs.
    This was also in the days before BBM had the iOS and Android ports.

So, when I did get a BB10 smart-phone (Torch 9810) my kids had gone to Apple and Android - by then BBM was available cross-platform, but why would we move away from text when we had our contacts already set up for texting and it's free and second nature.

In our case it's not following the masses - more like BBM never had a chance to get established in our lives and routines. If I'm texting someone I'm not after all these fancy things like what BBM can do - I'm after simple information, now I will often attach a picture, but that's about it.
    08-17-17 09:50 AM
    for me, I use BBM only for talking to oversea friends and families.

for my local contacts, text messaging is sufficient.

and no need to waste date however little BBM might consume.
    08-17-17 11:20 AM
    Interesting...

Maybe I'm just a bit of a control freak and I like the idea of knowing when a message is read. The bells and whistles are something I like.

I do realize that texting is simple, free and cross platform. But so are many other apps that do so much more. I honestly think many people do not know or understand the features of many of these apps.

A few years ago I walked into a client to home, he was an amateur radio operator. He was able to listen into cell calls, tap into text messages. Anything that was open and not encrypted. Opened my eyes. He couldn't do that with other apps like BBM. I don't think many people think of this until they see it live...

Posted via CB10
    08-17-17 04:41 PM
    Interesting...

Maybe I'm just a bit of a control freak and I like the idea of knowing when a message is read. The bells and whistles are something I like.

Posted via CB10
    There are so many messaging apps that give you all that, with more security, and fewer disruptive ads, than the junk that BBM has become. I used to use BBM exclusively to communicate with my wife while traveling, which I did on a weekly basis, all over the world. When nothing else would work, due to bad service, BBM did, it was great, but not anymore. I have dumped it. We would have continued to use it, had they not allowed ads that show up as a notification. I don't want a notification to come in, leading me to believe my wife, or business associate needed me for something, only to find an ad for Progressive. I do not want to pay a subscription for an app like that. I don't like any subscription app, or computer program. I do buy apps, though if I have an option. I opt to purchase every app I use, as long as it has that option. I won't however pay a subscription, especially for an app that basically tries to extort me by having ads come up as a message. The company that took over developing BBM has ruined it.

Telegram, and Line both are more secure than the standard BBM. Why pay a premium for an messaging app that is less secure than what you can get for free. That being said, if Line charged a flat fee, I would pay it. If Telegram charged, I would pay it. If BBM charged a flat fee, instead of a subscription, I might have paid it, but they screwed it up enough I am not sure.
    08-18-17 02:15 PM
    There are so many messaging apps that give you all that, with more security, and fewer disruptive ads, than the junk that BBM has become. I used to use BBM exclusively to communicate with my wife while traveling, which I did on a weekly basis, all over the world. When nothing else would work, due to bad service, BBM did, it was great, but not anymore. I have dumped it. We would have continued to use it, had they not allowed ads that show up as a notification. I don't want a notification to come in, leading me to believe my wife, or business associate needed me for something, only to find an ad for Progressive. I do not want to pay a subscription for an app like that. I don't like any subscription app, or computer program. I do buy apps, though if I have an option. I opt to purchase every app I use, as long as it has that option. I won't however pay a subscription, especially for an app that basically tries to extort me by having ads come up as a message. The company that took over developing BBM has ruined it.

Telegram, and Line both are more secure than the standard BBM. Why pay a premium for an messaging app that is less secure than what you can get for free. That being said, if Line charged a flat fee, I would pay it. If Telegram charged, I would pay it. If BBM charged a flat fee, instead of a subscription, I might have paid it, but they screwed it up enough I am not sure.
    You have a great point. I don't get ads on my BBM because I'm still on BlackBerry 10 Z30...

I'm considering a new phone soon. Amazon had a great price on the Samsung S8 yesterday.. may still get an Android BlackBerry though. I believe that the ads only show up for non BlackBerry branded phones running BBM.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 02:27 PM
    You have a great point. I don't get ads on my BBM because I'm still on BlackBerry 10 Z30...

I'm considering a new phone soon. Amazon had a great price on the Samsung S8 yesterday.. may still get an Android BlackBerry though. I believe that the ads only show up for non BlackBerry branded phones running BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately no. I have a Priv, I get ads. Blackberry no longer develops BBM, a third party develops it now, so even on a Blackberry device, you will get ads once you move to Android.

Sadly, even on my Passport and Z10, BBM became bloated and slow when I was in a area with slow service. It also became slow to start up after turning the device on after landing while traveling by air. Other messaging apps started quicker, which for me made the difference between being able to get a quick message to my wife before going into immigration, or having to wait. That is when we began to get frustrated with it. It may be better now, but I have moved on. There are much, much better apps out there, that are either free, or don't have the horrible subscription. I do miss what BBM was, but not what it has become.
    08-18-17 02:34 PM
    Unfortunately no. I have a Priv, I get ads. Blackberry no longer develops BBM, a third party develops it now, so even on a Blackberry device, you will get ads once you move to Android.

Sadly, even on my Passport and Z10, BBM became bloated and slow when I was in a area with slow service. It also became slow to start up after turning the device on after landing while traveling by air. Other messaging apps started quicker, which for me made the difference between being able to get a quick message to my wife before going into immigration, or having to wait. That is when we began to get frustrated with it. It may be better now, but I have moved on. There are much, much better apps out there, that are either free, or don't have the horrible subscription. I do miss what BBM was, but not what it has become.
    I just asked a couple of by Keyone friends. They did confirm that they hate the BBM adds. They love the BlackBerry Suite ( apparently bb10 hub is still better). I need the hub integration because I'm running a couple of businesses and need different emails.

So what I understand is the BlackBerry Suite on BlackBerry Android phones are add free, BBM is not..

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 04:34 PM
    They love the BlackBerry Suite ( apparently bb10 hub is still better). I need the hub integration because I'm running a couple of businesses and need different emails.

So what I understand is the BlackBerry Suite on BlackBerry Android phones are add free, BBM is not..
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, the suite comes with the phone at no charge. I am happy with the Hub on the Priv, I currently have five emails set up to use it, as well as Line, Telegram, WhatsApp, Messenger, Instagram, Kik, Skype, BBM and Textra. I have it set up like on BB10, a swipe up and to the right brings up the Hub. It works well, although you will of course need some time to adjust. I don't miss BB10 at all, though if it had access to all you could do with Android, it would be great.
    08-19-17 01:56 PM
    For many of us texting just works fine. It's fast, it's easy. You can do group conversations.

In Canada cell plans have included unlimited texting for a long time, meaning that it's very available and FREE.

CROSS-PLATFORM is also a factor: texting is the ULTIMATE cross-platform app - every phone has it.
    It's also old enough that when I had a FLIP PHONE (Motorola?) I was able to text my kids who had BBs.
    This was also in the days before BBM had the iOS and Android ports.

So, when I did get a BB10 smart-phone (Torch 9810) my kids had gone to Apple and Android - by then BBM was available cross-platform, but why would we move away from text when we had our contacts already set up for texting and it's free and second nature.

In our case it's not following the masses - more like BBM never had a chance to get established in our lives and routines. If I'm texting someone I'm not after all these fancy things like what BBM can do - I'm after simple information, now I will often attach a picture, but that's about it.
    Not every phone has it. I'm in Canada and I don't have sms or phone. Data plan only because Canada prices are stupidly outrageous
    08-19-17 08:36 PM
    Not every phone has it. I'm in Canada and I don't have sms or phone. Data plan only because Canada prices are stupidly outrageous
    Who is your carrier? I suppose such plans are available, I've just never investigated them.

Yes, our prices are high, although I'm blessed in that I have a good job and can afford the luxury of my phone/plan.

Bottom line is that for my group of people everyone has texting, even people on pay as you go plans.
    08-21-17 10:31 AM
    Who is your carrier? I suppose such plans are available, I've just never investigated them.

Yes, our prices are high, although I'm blessed in that I have a good job and can afford the luxury of my phone/plan.

Bottom line is that for my group of people everyone has texting, even people on pay as you go plans.
    I am with Telus. I use a "tablet plan" in my DTEK50. Costs my $5 month + data (which is a family share. Wife has $100 for unlimited everything with data. Daughter and I have the $5 tablet plans each and share wifes data.
    Now both daughter and I use a Canadian app called TextNow that allows phone calls and text (over data) and has a "data" phone number.
    08-21-17 11:37 AM
    I am with Telus. I use a "tablet plan" in my DTEK50. Costs my $5 month + data (which is a family share. Wife has $100 for unlimited everything with data. Daughter and I have the $5 tablet plans each and share wifes data.
    Now both daughter and I use a Canadian app called TextNow that allows phone calls and text (over data) and has a "data" phone number.
    Yes. I did the same with Rogers. I have a share plan with my wife of 4 gig. I bought 3 Samsung J3 phones from Costco for $170 each. Gave them to my kids. They eac get 1 gig of data added to mine. So the 5 of us share 7 gig. I downloaded Fongo. Gives them free Canada calling over the data plan. BBM for communication.

I like the BBM for them because of the glimpse feature. I can message them and request location at the same time. If I need to call them. I still can.

Posted via CB10
    dpw09 likes this.
    08-21-17 01:54 PM
    Yes. I did the same with Rogers. I have a share plan with my wife of 4 gig. I bought 3 Samsung J3 phones from Costco for $170 each. Gave them to my kids. They eac get 1 gig of data added to mine. So the 5 of us share 7 gig. I downloaded Fongo. Gives them free Canada calling over the data plan. BBM for communication.

I like the BBM for them because of the glimpse feature. I can message them and request location at the same time. If I need to call them. I still can.

Posted via CB10
    Yep have bbm as well. Plus parental controls and Google Device Manager. But we use textnow instead of fonego (same idea though).
    08-21-17 02:42 PM
    BBM is amazing. I always have people in my work environments dowload it and we communicate over it. I keep using Blend. They people who drop BBM is because they have no contacts to chat with. BBM is amazing but it also is no longer a massive platform that everyone has on their phones. The cool thing is you get who you want in there and keep that channel along to communicate with those people.
    08-21-17 03:18 PM
    I have only one active BBM contact. Everyone is on WhatsApp or regular texting.
    08-24-17 04:41 PM
    BBM is amazing. I always have people in my work environments dowload it and we communicate over it. I keep using Blend. They people who drop BBM is because they have no contacts to chat with. BBM is amazing but it also is no longer a massive platform that everyone has on their phones. The cool thing is you get who you want in there and keep that channel along to communicate with those people.
    I agree with you. It is a good communication app. Like I said at the start. I love using glimpse, location, Dropbox integration...

I understand that the Android users see adds and get annoying notification when that happens. I would hate that too.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 06:47 PM
    If you download the Signal app and if the other person has Signal it will encrypt your text messages and you can do encrypted phone calls as well. And if the other person doesn't have Signal, the Signal app will still send receive and send regular unencrypted text messages. You use it as your default text messaging.

I highly recommend it
    Event4izon likes this.
    08-25-17 08:52 AM
    +1 for Signal.

I've just recently switched to Signal as well. So far really liking the fact that for me, it can replace BBM (which has seriously gone down hill, especially sending attachments) and the stock Google Messages App.

It also seems to integrate pretty well with HUB and is definitely quicker.
    08-25-17 09:35 AM
    Looks like the new BBM update allows for you to use Uber directly from BBM. No app needed.

Integration like this is nice.. BBM should get payouts from that somehow vs driving adds..

Posted via CB10
    08-30-17 01:38 PM