I've been suspecting this already for some time and am sure now that every now and then notification sounds are not played, even though sound volumes are configured correctly. The first 3 times when this happened I thought I just didn't notice the sound. Now I've a few times seen the screen light up, I could see the notification, the led started blinking, but no sound. This is, however, only happening once in a while, so it is difficult to notice (or to debug).

When I saw this happening, I double-checked that do-not-disturb was not on, and when sending myself a test email, until now the notification sound was then played correctly every time. This seems to affect all applications likewise, I've seen it happen with calendar, aqua mail, tasker notifications, etc.

This does not seem to be related to doze problems, etc. I've excluded all apps I consider important (e.g. calendar, hub+ services, aqua mail, tasker, etc.) from the battery optimizations and have not had trouble getting notifications upon messages arriving. It is only the sound that is missing. (Not sure about vibrations, might be missing too.)

Apparently this is an Android 7 problem and has been around for many many months, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...d-bug-t3469388 .

I've tried to work around this by letting tasker detect when I receive notifications and let tasker play the sound. WIthout success. It seems the whole notification audio stream get muted randomly.

THIS REALLY SUCKS. I NEED A RELIABLE PHONE FOR COMMUNICATION. THIS IS WORSE THAN THE SCREEN FALLING OFF! BAD VIBES!

My parameters:

- Keyone BBB100-2
    - Android 7.1.1
    - Build number AM481 (this problem did occur already before the last update)

UPDATE: I am not totally sure that the issue of the sound missing completely is happening with other apps except calendar (which is still really bad). I have however noticed that (also) with other apps the notification sound is every now and then played with varying volume (volume changes while the notification sound is played) and sometimes is played only partially.

I'm trying to work around the issue using tasker profiles, which will "repeat" the notification every 2 mins or so and will play a notification sound through the _alarm_ stream. However, I have noticed that when the calendar sound was missing the last time, also the notification sound played by tasker 2 mins later through the alarm stream was mute. So it's unfortunately not only the notification stream which is the problem. However, 2 mins after that, the alarm stream sound was played correctly.

Next, I'll try to make sure it's not tasker itself causing (some of) the problems.

UPDATE2: It's not tasker which is causing problems, in fact tasker helped me solve some problems:

My conclusion on this whole issue is that there's at least two different notification issues:

1. Android doze and app standby's more aggressive behaviour. Like k9, there seems to be a million other apps out there, which try to wake up regularly at an interval smaller than 15 minutes using standard android timers or use other resources to heavily (in the humble opinion of android). But android won't let them. If the app relies on such a scheme for notifications, it's implemented badly.

2. Many apps seem to modify their notifications shortly after they are issued. An example seems to be the calendar app. The problem: The app issues a notification which has sound with it. 1 millisecond later the app issues an update to that notification, which does not have sound.

However, the soundless update of the notification still cancels the original notification's sound, thus leaving you without sound at all. This can also affect for example email apps, if upon a mailbox check, the email app finds a new mail and issues a notification and then finds another new email and updates the notification. Also in this case you won't get notification sound. (I found out about these when using tasker's notification listener plugin and inspecting the run log each time I got a notification without sound...)

My workaround for the latter case is to have tasker play a notification sound whenever you get a notifiation from that app. It ain't pretty but it works, since it's not affected by updates to that notification.
    Last edited by lobstaj; 08-06-17 at 02:38 AM. Reason: needed to express anger more vigorously
    07-25-17 01:48 PM
    Yup, my phone has this issue in addition to notifications just not showing up at all until the App is opened and viewed directly.
    unscathedgenius likes this.
    07-25-17 11:08 PM
    If you don't get notifications until you open the app, have you tried to exclude the app from battery optimizations? (Settings -> Battery -> Show all)

It almost sounds like that part of your problems could be related to Android's app standby.
    07-26-17 02:05 AM
    I was really looking forward ti buy this phone.but all the issues I'm seeing are convincing other wise. Pleaee advise of i should. Bcoz its out of stock anyways here in uae and i m gng through a lot of trouble with paying extta ordering from the store and everything. Please tell me if its not worth it and maybe i could wait for a newer version. I wnna buy the keyone
    07-26-17 02:26 AM
    This issue is most likely an Android 7 problem. I cannot however be totally sure if there is already a fix, which BB has just not applied yet.

In case you want a phone with a decent physical keyboard and can live with the Android burden, then go for it and get this phone.
    Last edited by lobstaj; 07-26-17 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-26-17 12:35 PM
    I've heard that this is a Nougat bug. I'm enjoying my new KeyOne quite a bit but the notifications system on Android is definitely pee-wee league compared to BB10.
    Wilburt King likes this.
    08-11-17 10:58 AM
    Does this have some solution? I have same problem on my KeyOne. I have accidentaly found out one strange behavior - notifications work OK when I am watching video and I have headphones plugged in.
    10-20-19 04:13 PM