DTEK is handled by the original BB as TCL only handled the hardware portion and they did that as subcontractor for the original BB. The KEYone is a flipping of the roles and responsibilities. Original BB is and will be responsible for the software updates as part of their licensing agreement with BB Mobile. This will last as long as the agreement requires and Blackberry Mobile keeps paying for it. That's why if anyone expects updates for the PRIV or DTEK, it will happen, if BB Mobile pays original BB for those updates, OS and/or security.
    It is getting so confusing. It is all wrapped up in the language of the contract agreements. My only hope is that the Priv and DTEKs will get Nougat later this year after the KEYone has been fully distributed.

But if Nougat doesn't come, my Priv works well. I think I will move to the OnePlus 5 after the first of the year and support BlackBerry thru purchasing their suite of apps.
    PicmanPanther likes this.
    08-10-17 09:46 AM
    This was just going to be a bit of a rant, but now more of a question.
    I like to stay up to date, specifically for security reasons.
    Why can't BlackBerry roll out their updates to everyone...at the same damn time....instead of, to every carrier first, then have to wait weeks, sometimes months for some. Just make it accessible... asap...kill the bs that it's the carrier branded blah blah.
    If you want to stay up to date with security updates, get a Pixel or a Nexus phone. Not being a smartass but as a former Nexus 6p owner, I would get security updates on time each month.

On the other hand, when I had my Sony Xperia z5 premium phone, I got security updates every time I got an OS update; which was about 6 months at a time roughly. At least Blackberry isn't going that long without security updates.
    Last edited by tfitzpat03; 08-10-17 at 09:39 PM.
    08-10-17 02:15 PM
    Still waiting on Bell and it's now August!!! Going to try emailing them just to see the response.
    And right past July and just received August yesterday.
    08-18-17 04:31 PM
    No August update yet. i bought KEYone from Selfridge, unlocked.
    08-25-17 01:13 AM
    I bought mine unlocked from John Lewis (UK) and am using it on a Dutch carrier. No August update either, whereas Dutch KEYones on the same carrier did get it. Seems weird, maybe it's a regional thing? Which makes it even weirder with all the previous arguments that it's the carrier who decides when to push an update. Obviously there is more to that!
    08-26-17 01:54 AM
30 12