i'm out of here.
    Last edited by androidonpassport; 03-13-22 at 11:57 AM.
    10-02-21 12:35 PM
    Voted.
    androidonpassport likes this.
    10-02-21 01:16 PM
    Voted.
    10-02-21 02:23 PM
    Voted!
    10-02-21 02:45 PM
    Although I wasn't the one who cast my vote that way, it probably isn't worth any effort as none of these devices will work for much longer anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 10-02-21 at 03:39 PM.
    10-02-21 02:57 PM
    Although I wasn't the one who casted my vote that way, it probably isn't worth any effort as none of these devices will work for much longer anyway.
    KEY2 hardware allows it to work for quite some more years.

3G shutdown and VOLTE requirement is a US problem.
    10-02-21 03:30 PM
    I'm shocked to be the only one to vote for the Priv so far.

I'd rather have that phone on Oreo than the KEY2 on 10.
    10-02-21 08:01 PM

The 808 would explode. It's a non-starter.
    10-02-21 08:26 PM
    The 808 would explode. It's a non-starter.
    The 808 wouldn't explode on Oreo lol
    10-02-21 09:04 PM
    The 808 wouldn't explode on Oreo lol
    Perhaps not, but Oreo is also dead. You need to be on Android 10 or above to get reasonable AOSP updates.
    10-02-21 09:07 PM
    Perhaps not, but Oreo is also dead. You need to be on Android 10 or above to get reasonable AOSP updates.
    He would try to get Android 9 on there, which I of course can't say for sure that it'll run smooth.
    Though I would certainly use the device as a daily again if battery usage is somewhat reasonable.
    10-02-21 09:33 PM
    All more recent Fire tablets are running on a forked version of Android 9 are those not reasonably updated? I get regular updates on both my '20 HD8+ and '19 HD10
    10-02-21 09:44 PM
    All more recent Fire tablets are running on a forked version of Android 9 are those not reasonably updated? I get regular updates on both my '20 HD8+ and '19 HD10
    That's very nice, but what common AOSP project is still regularly updating Oreo or Pie?

LineageOS is only working with Android 10 and 11 for instance.
    10-02-21 10:18 PM

I voted for the Priv. I love this device. It was the last true BlackBerry phone.
    Rico4you and anon(10387168) like this.
    10-02-21 11:10 PM
    Not me - I've got Sept security on Lineage 16. Could be my last though - not sure just yet.
    Not exactly common though.
    10-02-21 11:44 PM
    Not me - I've got Sept security on Lineage 16. Could be my last though - not sure just yet.
    Not exactly common though.
    Which device? I went through over 90% of them and couldn't find any still actively being updated with 16.
    10-02-21 11:49 PM
    Which device? I went through over 90% of them and couldn't find any still actively being updated with 16.
    You wouldn't like it if I told you, lol.

notice I said "not exactly commom"
    10-02-21 11:51 PM
    Hello all. Android on Passport here.

Thank you all who are following me my other thread, as I slowly but surely make progress on getting Android 9 OS running on BlackBerry Passports.

While I am on hold waiting for a new memory chip reader/burner to arrive from China, I figured I would consider my OS upgrade approach to BB devices that already came pre-loaded with Android OS on them. I have all the tools I need to do this, so why not?

Being that there are at least 4 PKB models, I thought I would ask you all which one I should consider.

So I created a poll on my website: https://www.androidonpassport.com/poll

Mind you all, I am already out over $5K on my Android on Passport endeavor, so if any of you have one of these (4) phones you would like to donate to this cause, hit me up via PM. I would need a minimum of (2) of each phone model in order to have one to strip and another to test with.

I welcome any and all conversation about these (4) BB Android phones here on this thread.
    If I actually do get this second project going, I will created a landing page on my site for it as well.

In closing, to all who have subscribed to my website, I hope to get my October News Update out to you ASAP.

Thanks again for all of you who believe in "making the impossible, possible"

Android on Passport
    This initiative is AMAZING. I am wondering how fluid is Android 9 with a Passport and its 801 chipset.

Any video/demo available to take a look?
    10-03-21 01:54 AM
    Interesting project, but would be better with Android 11.
    10-03-21 03:27 AM
    This initiative is AMAZING. I am wondering how fluid is Android 9 with a Passport and its 801 chipset.

Any video/demo available to take a look?
    As he said, think of it as a "classic car" project, and not as a solution to a daily driver.
    10-03-21 08:31 AM
    So how does that help in a phone discussion though? Does Amazon have an updated Fire phone model?
    10-03-21 08:40 AM
    As he said, think of it as a "classic car" project, and not as a solution to a daily driver.
    Probably the main constrain will be only 3 GB ram.. Beyond that, it could eventually be a daily driver
    10-03-21 08:47 AM
    Probably the main constrain will be only 3 GB ram.. Beyond that, it could eventually be a daily driver
    It's the SoC - it's not only old, but it's only 32-bit. There are still a lot of devices shipping today with 3GB.
    10-03-21 08:57 AM
    It's the SoC - it's not only old, but it's only 32-bit. There are still a lot of devices shipping today with 3GB.
    Let's try it. I don't think it is going to be a cheap hobby
    10-03-21 08:59 AM
    Greetings all.

Thank you for taking my poll!
    So far this is what it looks like:

Attachment 451180

So it seems like most of you would prefer to see the Priv updated with the Key2 closely behind.

On a side note, to answer the multitude of questions regarding OS updates to the current Google supported Android OS versions, 9, 10, 11 etc, and the AOSP forks...

The image dumps I am working with for the BB Passports SD801 processor include:

Android 9 - Locked Boot-loader
    Android 9 - Unlocked Boot-loader
    Lineage 18.1 - Based on Android 11

The Priv and its Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 MSM8992 are 64-bit. Unfortunately there aren't any phones out there that I could find, that I can grab a dump from and explore updating the Priv.

The Key2 and its Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 is also 64-bit and there are a few currently shipping phones out there running Android 10 on it!
    Most interestingly is the Cat S62 Pro.

Its supposed to get updated to Android 11 too...

Attachment 451181

So all I would need is a memory dump from this phone if the boot-loader is truly unlock-able as shown here: https://www.mobilewithdrivers.com/un...-128gb-6gb-ram

So here is my take on this new "Android OS Upgrade for Priv and Key Models project" if I was to take it on while I wait for my chip reader to arrive from China...

There is a Key2 BBF100-2 US version on sale on eBay for just under $400: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265346315434

There is also a Cat S62 Pro for around $500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185090286307

I hope I don't get banned for asking for you financial support, but I am already out thousands on my BB PP project and I just don't have the cash laying around to take on another exploratory project.

If the 50+ of you who voted, would donate each $20 to this cause to bring Android 10 (and possibly 11) to the Key2.. I am willing to take it on!

https://www.androidonpassport.com/donate

For those of you who would be kind enough to donate, I will give you credit on my website by naming you by your CB handle here as well as giving you 1st in line rights to upgrade you Key2 to the latest Android version supported by the donor Cat S62 Pro.

Thanks again for all of your support and comments.

Android on Passport
    I sent USD 20 for the Key2 Project.
    I trust in you.
    Best of luck!
    10-06-21 02:04 PM
67 123