Considering that Android is an open source OS...I don't understand why BlackBerry can't tweak it to be more like BB10. I mean...Samsung, HTC, and LG all add there UI. All BlackBerry needs Android for is the use of their apps but their OS is a lot smoother and the swipe gestures are second to none.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 07:02 PM
    i guess it's all a matter of opinion as to the smoothness of the OS and gestures. Not all of us agree with you. SO there's that.... and personally, without apps i could not stay with BlackBerry.
    08-18-16 07:34 PM
    I definitely agree with you regarding the app situation. There's just certain apps I cannot function without. I just see a lot of people on here saying that switching from BB10 to Android is no fun at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 07:37 PM
    i guess it's all a matter of opinion as to the smoothness of the OS and gestures. Not all of us agree with you. SO there's that.... and personally, without apps i could not stay with BlackBerry.
    So which phone are you currently using? Have you made the jump to Android yet?

Posted via CB10
    08-18-16 07:40 PM
    I dunno, I like the fact that they've approximated stock Android instead of doing some sort of throwback to BB10. The latter is more effort for the dev team and would probably end up looking vile.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-18-16 07:59 PM
    With a trade-off of increased bloat and likely decreased performance? No thanks. BB took the right approach with their bias towards a stock experience.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-21-16 06:38 PM
    Considering that Android is an open source OS...I don't understand why BlackBerry can't tweak it to be more like BB10. I mean...Samsung, HTC, and LG all add there UI. All BlackBerry needs Android for is the use of their apps but their OS is a lot smoother and the swipe gestures are second to none.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Maybe the next blackberry flagship will have a better Android UI
    08-23-16 05:43 PM
    My fingers are crossed. Even iOS has a lot of swipe gestures especially in the browser which are very handy. I'm just not an Apple fan boy like I am BB10.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-16 05:47 PM
    I really wished that blackberry would create an android launcher with blackberry OS 10 experience. I really hate stock android, it's not my taste at all. At this point I'm thinking of going to Samsung Galaxy or iPhone. There is absolutely nothing special about blackberry android OS now with most of blackberry apps available for subscription. I guess I will miss the virtual keyboard.

I really don't know why they didn't build an android phone with blackberry OS 10 UI.

It would have been the best of both worlds. I never met anyone said anything bad about BBOS10 other than missing apps. It's very well built and mature product.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-24-16 03:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    Waste of time, money and energy and not much gain.
    Swipe gestures will not make people prefer BlackBerry android over another Android; though a Physical keyboard may IMO. Looking forward to the Mercury
    08-24-16 06:18 AM
    But it may help the current BB10 users make that jump to Android if BB10 has no future.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 08:26 AM
    But it may help the current BB10 users make that jump to Android if BB10 has no future.

Posted via CB10
    You'd think they'd have noticed the lack of future some time in the past year or more.
    08-24-16 11:40 AM
    You'd think they'd have noticed the lack of future some time in the past year or more.
    Oh yeah....I'm sure.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-16 11:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't make much sense, imo
    08-24-16 06:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Every Android vendor who customizes the Android UI (Samsung's TouchWiz, HTC's Sense, etc) gets hammered in reviews for deviating from stock Android. On top of that, they typically end up being laggy, and then apps that don't conform to the vendor's version of Android look out of place. BlackBerry made the right decision to stick as close to stock Android as possible.
    08-24-16 06:59 PM
    1) there are limits that Google won't approve in altering the default UI to license the Playstore. Samsung experienced this in demoing a magazine UI for their tablet that Google squashed.

2) A heavy UI overlay bogs down the device. Given that their first effort, the PRIV already had issues related to heat and speed, I'm sure BB wasn't keen on altering from stock too much on their first try .

3) Blackberry is targeting the enterprise market and they have expectations in relation to Android devices. You can't sell Blackberry's take on Android and have the navigation setup totally different than what they've experience before. 'WTF is this, its totally different than my Galaxy, Droid, HTC etc'

4) the possibility exists in future iterations that BB could include options to be closer to BB10 such as to mapping gestures to user actions. Some launchers already have this and Google is fine with it as long as changing UI is initiated by the user and not the OEM.
    08-24-16 07:23 PM
    1) there are limits that Google won't approve in altering the default UI to license the Playstore. Samsung experienced this in demoing a magazine UI for their tablet that Google squashed.

2) A heavy UI overlay bogs down the device. Given that their first effort, the PRIV already had issues related to heat and speed, I'm sure BB wasn't keen on altering from stock too much on their first try .

3) Blackberry is targeting the enterprise market and they have expectations in relation to Android devices. You can't sell Blackberry's take on Android and have the navigation setup totally different than what they've experience before. 'WTF is this, its totally different than my Galaxy, Droid, HTC etc'

4) the possibility exists in future iterations that BB could include options to be closer to BB10 such as to mapping gestures to user actions. Some launchers already have this and Google is fine with it as long as changing UI is initiated by the user and not the OEM.
    Regarding your answer number 2 xiaomi already does this and they're quite successful, don't you agree?
    08-25-16 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Who would this heavy-handed overlay appeal to? The handful of remaining bb10 users?

I believe this approach would do more harm than good. I'm a bb10 user as well, and I prefer the lightweight approach of blackberry software on Android. It's very functional, but not bloated.
    Jerry A and PygmySurfer like this.
    08-25-16 09:20 AM
    Who would this heavy-handed overlay appeal to? The handful of remaining bb10 users?

I believe this approach would do more harm than good. I'm a bb10 user as well, and I prefer the lightweight approach of blackberry software on Android. It's very functional, but not bloated.
    I agree, I hate Xiaomi and even samsung just because of that. I love the smoothness of stock android. Htc Sense UI is the only one that is also very smooth.
    08-25-16 09:26 AM
    I agree with you about HTC. It's the only Android phone besides the Nexus devices that I can tolerate. I despise LG, and Samsungs TouchWiz UI.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 12:05 PM
    Regarding your answer number 2 xiaomi already does this and they're quite successful, don't you agree?
    MIUI has been an ongoing ROM since Android 2.2 so they have knowledge and experience base that BB does not have plus Xiaomi's success is from China where Google no longer has influence in UI development as the Playstore is blocked. MIUI wouldn't work for an Android enterprise phone either and Xiaomi's eventual phone into the North American market will have a toned down UI because of copyright issues: too many Apple influences and what Google wants in a phone.
    08-25-16 02:25 PM
    So they are allowed to use Android because it's Open Source...just not the Google Play Store?!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-16 02:39 PM
    So they are allowed to use Android because it's Open Source...just not the Google Play Store?!

Posted via CB10
    A company can do whatever they want with AOSP the open source version of Android but once you ask for a Playstore license thats when Google gets involved and you have to follow their rules. There are some hidden nav experiments in Nougat so who knows what the future will bring in Android UI but for now a gesture based Android is not in the cards as far as Google is concerned.
    08-25-16 02:42 PM
    I feel that BlackBerry has the know how to to great things on top of Android. It was their first try, let's wait for the next one...
    09-02-16 10:37 AM
    I feel that BlackBerry has the know how to to great things on top of Android. It was their first try, let's wait for the next one...
    I don't want to Launcher any more heavy-handed than it is now. They have the right balance. Lean and mean is always better.
    09-02-16 01:18 PM